Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Road course pad suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 09:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road course pad suggestions

Went to a road course class last year at Pocono Raceway. Had a blast, but my stock 10.9" front rotors were not up to the task. The night before the day I had put on new Hawk HPS pads (new brake fluid the week before). By the end of the day they were literally cooked.
This year (aside from fabricating brake cooling ducts and upgrading to 11.9" rotors) I want to choose a better pad. What do you guys recommend?
I was looking at the HPS+ but since they are only '1 level' up I'm worried about burning through those too. With the race pad choices, Blue 9012 's seem good.
I was also looking at the EBC yellow pad, but I'm not sure how they would stand up. The blue looks interesting, but I don't know if that would be too aggressive. I'm not concerned with rotor wear as I would replace the rotor after the track day (or 2 day, not sure which I will do).
Searched the boards here and see that Carbotech Panther Plus' are another option.

A few 20min sessions of constant 100-40mph, 80-20, 110-60's will do that...

Last edited by ZeusCGP; 02-09-2007 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would look at the Carbotech XP10 or XP11. I had the XP11 and they worked great for me last year I drove to the track with them on so you can do that if you have to just take it easy because the rotors will take a beating when the pads are cold (very abrassive). But they worke good even for some Auto-Xing. Once they heat up they have great modulation and have never faded on me. This where my first race compound pads so I can't compare them to Hawk or SBC. However they are not as expensive either so I was happy. The only issue other people have had is with the way Carbotech binds the friction material to the backing plate, you do not want to let the pad wear down really close to the backing plate because it will trash the rotors. Brake ducks will help too.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i would start w/ XP8's in front first then go to a XP10 if they are not enough. i use the 10's on the front of my 95 Camaro CMC car w/ 98 front brakes. i use the 8's on the rear. i ran 2 sets of XP10's on the front of my CMC car on the same set of front rotors. they were very easy on the rotors.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:23 PM
Banned

Agree with the Carbotech (www.CTBrakes.com) suggestions. Using XP's all around on my CTS-V. Their pads, I used them on my Lotus Esprit as well, are very easy on rotors as well.

Mark "Feff" Pfeffer
Old 02-10-2007, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't have any insight into brake choices. But kudos for taking the GTP to the track. Its always cool to see people racing there real street cars! It's a nice looking car, and I'm glad to see you using the power appropriately!
Old 02-16-2007, 06:56 PM
Launching!

Wilwood H compound
Old 02-17-2007, 04:43 PM
Teching In

Depending how hard and good you are on the brakes, the Blue's may not be that great. I cooked through Blue's and XP9's easily with my old 2200lbs. racecar. XP10's seemed to work decent, but again, it depends how hard you use your brakes. I'm going to be using DTC-70's up front, and HP+'s out back on my Camaro at track days coming soon, but I put my brakes through ungodly ubuse on track, and don't care about anything other than lap times. Just remember race pads can't be driven on the street, well they can, but it ain't all that good. haha
Old 02-28-2007, 09:14 PM
12 Second Club

talk with ben at raceconcepts.net
Old 03-04-2007, 01:59 PM
TECH Regular

Wilwood H, or PFC-01s or PFC-05s

Quick Reply: Road course pad suggestions