Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Is this a bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 10:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is this a bad idea?

I've been wanting to attend some HPDE's for a while, and I now have a friend who wants to do it with me so I am motivated to start soon. My plan is to attend at least 1 or 2 this summer (I saw NASA is holding a few this summer not too far from me). I have never done anything like this (been a drag racer until now) which leads me to my question. Suspension-wise, my car is pretty much stock except for adjustable lca's and Strano bars front and back. My tires however, are not so great. I'm running Firestone Wide-ovals which have a treadwear rating of 320 (hardly ideal for racing, I know). Around town, doing 'spirited' driving I can break the tires loose pretty easily (car just has bolt-ons & cam). Would it be a bad idea to run these tires at the HPDE? Will they be holding me back at all (or be a safety issue)? I figured since I'm a beginner, I probably won't be pushing the car too hard anyways so I should be ok for at least 1 or 2 events just to get some seat time, but I wanted to ask someone who would know better than I just to be certain. Thanks for any info, guys!

ps. tires are 275/40-17 and 295/35-18 if that matters
Old 03-30-2007, 11:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Turo
I'm running Firestone Wide-ovals

Would it be a bad idea to run these tires at the HPDE? Will they be holding me back at all (or be a safety issue)? I figured since I'm a beginner, I probably won't be pushing the car too hard anyways so I should be ok for at least 1 or 2 events just to get some seat time, but I wanted to ask someone who would know better than I just to be certain. Thanks for any info, guys!

ps. tires are 275/40-17 and 295/35-18 if that matters
The tires will suck ... but so will you.

I found some in-car video of one of my first ventures onto a road course in 98 and I am laughing out-loud at how bad I was. I suck just a little bit now ...

The size disparity will cause you more issues than you might imagine. All that tire and grip on the rear (relatively) will make the car a pushing pig.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:21 PM
TECH Junkie

I have been told the same thing by a friend of mine. Later on down the road I may try and find someone to trade with to see if I can just run 17's front and rear (they are oem C5 Z06 wheels).

I pretty much figured the tires will suck considering they suck on the street. Would it be worth it to upgrade tires now, or will it not matter since I will be a complete novice?
Old 03-30-2007, 01:45 PM
TECH Resident

I've done 2 of these with The Driver's Edge and I do recommend running street tires. I don't know about the size thing though. Really, I think you want to start out learning what your car can do "as is". In fact, TDE just changed their rules so that novices have to run street tires. I think that I would need a couple more events before even thinking about track tires.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Arctic are doing the Driver's Edge this weekend?

Look for the #9 CMC white Firebird. I'm parked up on the hill next to grid.