Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

rear end ratio???

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default rear end ratio???

should i go 3.73 or 4.10...i'm into road racing and i have LOADS of power to contend with, will a 4.10 make it to hard to maintain traction pulling out of a turn?

i'm having my M6 custom geared so that 5th and 6th will give the same rear wheel and engine rpm as stock, but leaving 1-4 at the factory ratios for better pick up.

i'm leaning towards the 3.73 because i'm hearing that the lower ratios are mostly useless with 4.10, espy at higher speeds....it just seems like it could be downright dangerous when you add high speed, gobs of torque and 3400lbs on the rear wheels in a turns

any ideas????
Old 05-10-2007, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a big gear maniac, I loved my 4.10's in my 530rwhp Vortech car, even though it helped make traction an issue in the first 3 gears and the car would spin the 315's on a hard 3-4 shift, but I loved it.

I even road raced the car at Road Atlanta and it was fine (certainly caused more shifting and less overall traction, but tires helped - BFG R1's at the time).

Good friend of mine locally has a bolt on LS1 with 4.56's and he daily drives the car 20k miles a year!

I'd say buy the gears that will make you happy for the highest percentage of time you are driving your car. For example, if you have a weekend only track car, then your decision should hinge on the proper setup for the tracks you visit. If you drive 100+ highway miles a day and rising gas prices annerve you, then a more conservative gear choice would be the answer.

For most of us M6 fbody folks though, the 4.10 gearset strikes that perfect balance. I don't see a list of mods for your car and although you say "loads of power" I'm sure that means different things to different people

Give us a little more info - what are your mods / dyno numbers and what is the car's primary job (daily driver / weekend warrior) and how important is the proper road race setup to you? That will help us come up with the perfect gear ratio for you.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

engine mods: AFR 225cc mongoose heads, fast 90/90, lunati 346ci rotating assembly, 9.8:1 SCR, 65lb injectors on fast rails, aeromotive fuel system (looped system w/ sumped tank and eliminator pump w/ controller), MSD coils, 8.5mm wires and denso plugs, sts rear mount turbo setup w/ meth (5psi for the street, 15psi for racing), zex direct port nitrous kit (100hp shot currently), QTP oil pump and timing cover, 1.7 rocker arms, all the normal valvetrain gear (hardened pushrods, morel lifters etc) on a turbo cam. all good for about 800hp on the turbo/meth and 915hp on the gas

driveline is a spec twin disc clutch, stage 4+ T-56, spohn driveshaft and moser 12 bolt w/ eaton HD posi and 33 splined axels

suspension is spohn moly/tube components all the way around (that includes torque arm, pan hard bar, trunnel/shock tower brace etc), umi SFC and spohn moly k-member as well riding on air ride technologies airsprings on all four corners. brakes are baer 6Rs on the front (plain rotors w/ zinc wash) and matching rotors on the rear, ss brake lines...you know the drill

the car is sometimes a daily driver (maybe 7-10 days a month) and a road racer whenever i feel the urge (once a month or so). gas pricees don't really concern me, i'm just worried about making 1-2 gears useless, i don't want to have to shift every ten feet, and i don't want to make it overly easy to power my way into a spin coming out of a turn

Last edited by SS101; 05-13-2007 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I like my 3.73 on the road course and on the street. At my local 2 mile course I can either run the whole thing in third shifting to 4th on the back straight. Not that I do as I like to take the slower corners in 2nd and even at that I have to modulate the throttle quite a bit on exit as it still very easy to get sideways on street tires. I was at 348rwhp last time as the track, so with your power levels I imagine it can be quite challenge. On V710 traction issues are much improved, I'm just waiting to get a TR2 to help put the power better out of the corners. My .02
Old 05-14-2007, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS101
. all good for about 800hp on the turbo/meth and 915hp on the gas

gas pricees don't really concern me, i'm just worried about making 1-2 gears useless, i don't want to have to shift every ten feet, and i don't want to make it overly easy to power my way into a spin coming out of a turn
Even with 3.23's you'll be spinning 1st and 2nd @ 800hp. What tires are you using?
Old 05-14-2007, 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

hoosier P345/35ZR-18s for racing BFG summer rubber on the street
Old 05-14-2007, 10:13 PM
TECH Regular

No matter how much or how little power you have, there is an ideal rear end ratio for each and every track. Ideally, you want to minimize shifts, and keep it out of over-drive (5th and 6th). Running out of revs at the very end of the longest straight in 4th gear is a good place to start. The only way to truly know what is faster is to actually test them. With that kind of power, I would think a numerically lower ratio would be better, as you could go faster in 4th gear, and use the hp to pull you out of the corner.

Controlling 800 hp will be hard no matter what ratio you have.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm w Killer_Bluebird...at my local 1.8 mile road course, I run 3rd everywhere but the back stretch (4th). I used to use 2nd on slower corners but it just made 4 more shifting, and less traction (and my engine is nearly stock). I thaught about 4.10s, but shifting more will hurt times, and I'm hitting 110mph on the back stretch already. And like mojave said, u don't want to use overdrive at the track.

I would think w all that power, less gear may even be better (I run stock 3.42s by the way). Being able to hold 3rd and 4th gears longer will better allow you to focus on proper line, and driving in general.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

With the Turbo setup you'll want longer gears to stay in boost longer.

Depending on the size of the track, I'd think 3.42's would be just about perfect for an average sized track with a decently long straight.