Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Better Track Car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 08:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Better Track Car?

Should I convert my 99 6spd trans am into a track car. I will start out doing driver experiences and events with Chinmotorsports and progress into a full track car, cage, no interior, fire system, etc, etc,etc. My car is a T-top car, is that a problem.
Or, is a fox body or 94-95 mustang easier and cheaper, I know cheaper is usually not better, but there are so many out there, they can't all be wrong.

My budget is about $8g's for now I just spent $2,500 on a newly rebuilt trans with new/slave/master/clutch.
Thanks
Old 06-16-2007, 09:11 PM
Launching!

You'll be fine. The FBody platform is nice and manageable. There are ton's of mods focusing on roadrace events. The M cars are very popular too based primarily on the weight issue.

Don't worry about your T-Top. There can be filler body panels fabed and inserted w/o a problem. It's been done many times before.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:26 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As someone who purchased a fox and compiled the cost/list to make it a formidable road race car- you're much better off starting off with your F-bod.
I can't wait to get back in to an LSX powered F-bod myself for track days.

Cons:
Fox- rear drum brakes, bump steer, about $2K in suspension mods, T5 relatively weak.
SN95- still way down on power, still dealing with funky suspension.

F-bod pros:
Great powertrain, relatively few suspension mods needed for a decently trackable car, duct the brakes and you're ready to go.

Or, buy an RX8 and you're set from the factory to go to the track but you'll miss the lsx power delivery.

Cheers!
Old 06-16-2007, 09:58 PM
Teching In

now that I think about it that why I bought an F-body in the first place.

Are the strano packages the way to go. Since I do not need tons of power (a.k.a. have to spend big $$$$ on motor) what area do you recommend I focus.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:09 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Strano setups are solid. You don't have to go that route, but they're good.

Focus on Koni dampers, a good spring, and an adjustable pandhard bar to center the rear end. Alignment, brake ducting, proper pad.

Proper Cooling/pressurization of oil and fluids if you're getting serious, along with a RR oil pan.