Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Guidance on stripping down C5 vette for HPDE

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
who has a C5 vette and calls it a 'beater'?
The Z06 is my beater. I normally use the term "daily driver" though, since "beater" implies that I have something faster/better that I'm trying to keep off the road.

Edit: I do have an F-350 with over 240k miles that I'm trying to keep miles off of. That, and it's a royal pain in the *** to drive in Dallas. Does that make the Z a "beater"?
Old 07-16-2007, 12:48 AM
Launching!

sounds like fun...I'm doing mine sort of like that now. My seat are 90 pounds each not to mention carpeting, panels (replace with carbon) etc. etc.

Good luck!
Old 08-04-2007, 01:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
all this talk about hp/weight reminds me of something i saw when i delivered car parts for a while......had a delivery to a shop, guy did alot of vettes. there was a typical midlife crisis ******* standing next to his vette, with a ****-eating grin on his face, saying how he just saved 15lbs buy going with a $5000 titanium exhaust. meanwhile this pig had a gut down to his knees, and had to be every bit of 260lbs or more. point of my story is: if you rant and rave about power/weight, but yet you havent seen your own **** without lifting your gut out of the way, keep your mouth shut.
Considering that a certain person in this very thread with a rather incredible hulk-colored C4 would make 260lbs look downright sprightly, I'm not exactly sure where you're coming from, buddy. Losing weight on the car is easier, cheaper, and faster for some people. That old man still dropped 15 pounds from his race weight with that exhaust regardless of whether he was a fatass or not. In most worlds, this one generally included, fifteen pounds lost is still a bit more than zero. Mission accomplished, I'd say.

I've offered Mojave the 130lbs carbon fiber driver mod a few times and he's yet to take me up on it. But now that I've read your masterfully insulting and truly realistic post, I've realized that he's just gravitationally limited to being slow and wasting money. I guess he shouldn't have ever bothered. I guess I should let him know that he's wasting his time. I guess you should keep some of your thoughts to yourself.

I'm not sure why, but there's something magically amusing about a guy who can finish the second half of my burger before I realize it's gone and yet still whip my *** around any track on any day in any car, two-point-five times seat to steering wheel interface weight factor be damned.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:13 PM
Staging Lane

Hah...im not going to buy any more lightweight upgrades...im just going to starve myself anorexia imo
Old 08-04-2007, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can actually stick 305's up front and 345's out back, you just have to play with the offsets and gotta get past the whole low rider refried beans ideaology.

Dump the stock seats.
Remove the AC
Move the battery to the back and switch to a smaller battery.
Take out the interior dash or door panels.
Stick some lightweight either CF or FG door skins and voila.

But some of this stuff will be negated weight wise by the necessary addition of a weld-in.

And the most important is the driver mod.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:21 PM
Launching!

Less weight helps but don't bother uless you are going to do the whole car for road racing. Dump carpet and seat and it's 110 lb. smaller battery. Road race seat like a Kirkey. light rims and Hoosiers. Exhaust, plexi front and rear windows.t is a mile long to make the car handle and stay cool at the brakes, engine radiator & oil cooler, tranny cooler, diff cooler, Accusump. Then you have suspension to upgrade. Learn to run the car with some good tires first if you have not done much of this. Weight does suck especially when turning. Run light on fuel also.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mitchntx
I never regretted selling my street car and building a dedicated track car.

Echo ... when you turn 50 come back and explain just how easy it is to lose weight or even maintain it.
Just dont get over weight in the 1st place
Old 11-02-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RHall8612
Considering that a certain person in this very thread with a rather incredible hulk-colored C4 would make 260lbs look downright sprightly, I'm not exactly sure where you're coming from, buddy. Losing weight on the car is easier, cheaper, and faster for some people. That old man still dropped 15 pounds from his race weight with that exhaust regardless of whether he was a fatass or not. In most worlds, this one generally included, fifteen pounds lost is still a bit more than zero. Mission accomplished, I'd say.

I've offered Mojave the 130lbs carbon fiber driver mod a few times and he's yet to take me up on it. But now that I've read your masterfully insulting and truly realistic post, I've realized that he's just gravitationally limited to being slow and wasting money. I guess he shouldn't have ever bothered. I guess I should let him know that he's wasting his time. I guess you should keep some of your thoughts to yourself.

I'm not sure why, but there's something magically amusing about a guy who can finish the second half of my burger before I realize it's gone and yet still whip my *** around any track on any day in any car, two-point-five times seat to steering wheel interface weight factor be damned.
Who in the world would spend 5,000 on a exhaust? Its not a Lambo, and vettes are by no means rare, and have a good after market
Old 11-02-2007, 10:33 PM
TECH Addict

what all these ever so intelligent 'experts' here dont realize is the person i was talking about did this to his STREET CAR. NOT a race car. so mission accomplish that, scooter.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:17 AM
Staging Lane

My C5 is down to 3172# with full fuel and 200# driver.. no interier exept dash, 17# race seat, no headlights. only thing else I can remove is HVAC under dash and its coming out this winter. The only way to go lighter is lots of CF body parts..
Old 11-03-2007, 09:08 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JVetthead
My C5 is down to 3172# with full fuel and 200# driver.. no interier exept dash, 17# race seat, no headlights. only thing else I can remove is HVAC under dash and its coming out this winter. The only way to go lighter is lots of CF body parts..
Interesting. My C4 is 3215 with driver and 1/2 tank of gas, but the driver is a little on the big side: 325 lbs. I don't have any HVAC, but I do have headlights. I need to convert to fixed headlights and get rid of the motors.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mojave
Interesting. My C4 is 3215 with driver and 1/2 tank of gas, but the driver is a little on the big side: 325 lbs. I don't have any HVAC, but I do have headlights. I need to convert to fixed headlights and get rid of the motors.
Are you the guy with the green C4? If so I met you at TWS, you were having optispark problems. I was the silver C5 right across the garage from you. Yep, you smoked me on the track! Maybe next time..
Joe
Old 11-05-2007, 12:14 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JVetthead
Are you the guy with the green C4? If so I met you at TWS, you were having optispark problems. I was the silver C5 right across the garage from you. Yep, you smoked me on the track! Maybe next time..
Joe
Yep, that's me. I have had a few of those opti-moments at TWS. But no more! LTCC for the win!

I haven't been to the track in forever...school and slipping clutch are getting in way. Hopefully I will see you out there next time.

Quick Reply: Guidance on stripping down C5 vette for HPDE