Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

stock c5 corvette vs modded z28/ss

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 12:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default stock c5 corvette vs modded z28/ss

i know this seems a little apples to oranges, but here goes, what would the outcome be in a auto cross/road race event with all things equal between these two cars. the vette being stock and the camaro having shocks/springs, sway bars, decent tires, and bushings? will the vette just walk away or would the camaro hold its own?

this car would double as a daily driver, so nothing too crazy just some nice weeken fun that a drag car cant handle
Old 09-05-2007, 01:44 AM
On The Tree

this depends on what tires the vette and camaro are running. what spring/shock combo is the camaro running? what and where are the bushings? who is driving the vette and who is driving the camaro?
Old 09-05-2007, 06:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All things being equal ... driver talent, knowledge, tires, brakes ...

The Camaro could give the Vette a reall run ...
Old 09-05-2007, 07:22 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Kyle Moore
this depends on what tires the vette and camaro are running. what spring/shock combo is the camaro running? what and where are the bushings? who is driving the vette and who is driving the camaro?
regular street tires as this would be side fun for a dd, all things equal, stock camaro brakes and stock vette brakes.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You know this question will get all kind of responses. But there is a guy in our club that races a (FS) 95 convertible Z28 on Kumhos V710. He is usually 2 secs of a (SS) Z06 driven by a pro driver & instructor. The corvette us usually on V710 also and has fully adjustable suspension. Do not think the Z28 has a single mod other than tires. He has ben racing this car for like 6-7 years. And the 4 guys that are running in CP (including me) are usually a few seconds slower than him. So I have a long way to go but experience makes the difference in most cases.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:08 AM
TECH Regular

If you assume both cars are equally well driven, and both on equally good tires, the Corvette should still be a fair amount quicker. The SS PAX is .848 and the ESP PAX .834.

Note: driver and tires plays a much bigger part in this than anything else, but removing those two variables, the Corvette is still going to be faster. The Corvette is better in almost every way: less weight, better weight distribution, better suspension, etc. In fact, there isn't any area where the f-body would be significantly better.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:03 AM
TECH Resident

Having had a susp modded Ta and a Z06, even though the TA sticks as good thru the turns, you can still tell it is heavier, not as balanced, especially in rapid transitions, and if both have stock brakes, then the vette wins hands down, even with a less driver.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mojave
If you assume both cars are equally well driven, and both on equally good tires, the Corvette should still be a fair amount quicker. The SS PAX is .848 and the ESP PAX .834.

Note: driver and tires plays a much bigger part in this than anything else, but removing those two variables, the Corvette is still going to be faster. The Corvette is better in almost every way: less weight, better weight distribution, better suspension, etc. In fact, there isn't any area where the f-body would be significantly better.
Very true.

But the criteria is the F-Car has a massaged suspension and the Vette is stock.

Replace suspension components with decent aluminum rod ends, lighter wheels, good shocks with a good spring rate, the F-car evens the playing field significantly.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I know of one guy that did the 1 lap competitions in an F-body for many years, then graduated to a C5 and he said it was a world of difference. The C5 just does the job better, it is more natural in the Vette compared to the F-body.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WarShrike
I know of one guy that did the 1 lap competitions in an F-body for many years, then graduated to a C5 and he said it was a world of difference. The C5 just does the job better, it is more natural in the Vette compared to the F-body.
John Oliver?

Yes, he did like the Vette much better. But it had T1 suspension with Penskes, IIRC.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Very true.

But the criteria is the F-Car has a massaged suspension and the Vette is stock.

Replace suspension components with decent aluminum rod ends, lighter wheels, good shocks with a good spring rate, the F-car evens the playing field significantly.
I compared the stock PAX for the Corvette, SS, with the street prepared PAX for the f-body, ESP. The ESP PAX includes springs, shocks, unlimited tire size, diff, etc. The F Stock PAX is only .809.

Again, these are auto-x PAX factors, which are far, far from ideal. But, it gives you a rough idea. The Z06 will be faster unless the f-body loses some serious weight. Also, a good driver can do a lot more than any spring, shock, or tire ever will.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Good info.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

BTW when I mentioned that the Z28 was 2 secs. behind the Z06 that was raw time not Pax adjusted. Granted 2 secs. is a lifetime in Auto-X but considering the car is pretty stock and a convertible I think a fbody is pretty good when it is well driven. I also want to iterate that both drivers are excellent drivers they ZO6 driver is usually the fastest driver by raw time in almost every event, His wife is sometimes faster in the same car.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:29 PM
12 Second Club

what exactly is the pax and esp you are talking about?
Old 09-05-2007, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Hennytime
what exactly is the pax and esp you are talking about?
Autocross terms. PAX is a number that is multiplied into your time to "level the playing field". ive always heard of it as taking the car out of the equation. basically its a number assigned to different classes (The most common on TECH being: F-Stock [FS] E Street Prepared [ESP]) that is multiplied into your raw time to "even out the playing field. its really a way of comparing drivers on the same course.

someone please help explain this better. its all i can come up with.

ESP = E Street Prepared. a Class in SCCA Autocross.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

I was able to keep up with and pass many C5s on Hoosiers and M3s on V710s with my 98 TA on 315 V710s.

The TA was a full street car, complete with AC and 12 disc changer. Engine was putting out in the 380hp range and had the entire LGM catalog thrown at it.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchntx
John Oliver?

Yes, he did like the Vette much better. But it had T1 suspension with Penskes, IIRC.
Yeah, Oliver. I remember it made it in two sections for Vette Magazine. I got so excited about that magazine when one of my dads projects made it in there lol.

I tried to paint up that car on a C5.R chassis for a race sim (GTR/GTR2). Never did get the time, had too many requests for other cars lol.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does Griggs and Max offer that crazy sus setup in the rear end for us yet?

I know they do for Mustangs
Old 09-09-2007, 04:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by slick1851
Does Griggs and Max offer that crazy sus setup in the rear end for us yet?

I know they do for Mustangs
You mean a torque arm? F-bodies already have a torque arm. Thank GM.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WarShrike
No I dont think it was me. John Oliver. Only person that comes to mind is DAN cockern(Spelling) From Canada.

But I have driven a Moded F-body(No light weight parts, nothing removed including the spare tire and Jack. Also have driven a 02 zo-6( 305's all around, exhaust and non-essential parts removed) I;ve raced One Lap in 03, 04 and 06.

During Pre-event testing I drove both car's back to back at LRP. My Firebird was 2 sec a lap quicker. DO I think the vette should of run circles around my bird yeah. Did I feel after driving the vette that it was quicker, yeah. But once I found out the lap times were on the vette. It told a different story. This vette was loose on entry, settled down to apex and then was loose from apex out. You can deffenalty feel the less weight, better brakes(I could dive bomb the corner more than 150ft later than my bird). The car FELT Fast But it wasn't. Until you have driven these things back to back you really cant make a good comparision. But I will say that it opened my eye's.

The vette needed some thing changed around tire pressures were to high and the sway bars were also wrong. I no longer own the firebird, but I will say that my next track car will be a f-body.

John O

Quick Reply: stock c5 corvette vs modded z28/ss