Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Who has Firestone Wide Ovals and auto-x's?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007 | 11:22 AM
Teching In

Default Who has Firestone Wide Ovals and auto-x's?

I'm just wondering what pressure you run your tires at normally and then what you found the best for running them when autocrossing?

How do you think they perform for a street tire? I just picked up a set and I think I'm going to run the car this coming weekend. I've never autocrossed before let alone with my '98 vette or these tires.

Thanks for any input
Ken
Old 09-18-2007 | 05:58 PM
TECH Regular

They are OK for the price, but there are certainly much better choices for auto-x street tires. Falken Azenis RT-615, Bridgestone RE01-R, Yokohama Advan Neovana, and others, are much more popular in the street tire classes.

Compared to race tires, such at Kumho V710 or Hoosier A6, these are all slower but last longer. If you are new to auto-x, stick with what you have got, since sticky rubber will just hide mistakes, mistakes you need to learn from.

If this is your first auto-x, the most important part is to make it through the course and HAVE FUN! You can worry about the best tires to have later.
Old 09-18-2007 | 07:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mojave
They are OK for the price, but there are certainly much better choices for auto-x street tires. Falken Azenis RT-615, Bridgestone RE01-R, Yokohama Advan Neovana, and others, are much more popular in the street tire classes.

Compared to race tires, such at Kumho V710 or Hoosier A6, these are all slower but last longer. If you are new to auto-x, stick with what you have got, since sticky rubber will just hide mistakes, mistakes you need to learn from.

If this is your first auto-x, the most important part is to make it through the course and HAVE FUN! You can worry about the best tires to have later.

Yeah, I knew they are far from the best or what you should have if you are set up to autox...but I am just going to have fun and get a much better 'feel' for my car and how it handles, or rather, how to handle it!

I'm mostly currious as to what pressure people who have run them think is the best though? I have them at 30psi cold right now on the street...just leave them there? They are 265/40/17 in front and 295/35/18 rear.

Thanks
aero
Old 09-18-2007 | 10:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by aero_ub
Yeah, I knew they are far from the best or what you should have if you are set up to autox...but I am just going to have fun and get a much better 'feel' for my car and how it handles, or rather, how to handle it!

I'm mostly currious as to what pressure people who have run them think is the best though? I have them at 30psi cold right now on the street...just leave them there? They are 265/40/17 in front and 295/35/18 rear.

Thanks
aero
Also posted on CorvetteForum:

As far as air pressures, 30 cold sounds too low. Something like 36-37 psi cold front, 32-34 psi cold rear.

Quick Reply: Who has Firestone Wide Ovals and auto-x's?