Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

What's normal oil pressure for roadracing.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 05:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What's normal oil pressure for roadracing.

Hey,
What's normal oil pressure for road racing?

I've got a 402 LS2 with Moroso pan, remote AC Delco filter, oil cooler and accusump. On 20w-50, I'm seeing 60-65psi on load, and 50psi idle.

May go down if I use a low restriction racing filter? I've got Wix filters on hand after break in.

What oil temps are you guys seeing on the track?
Old 10-21-2007, 07:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Your oil data is gona be different from everyone else's. Oil pressure will depend on how loose or tight the bearings were set up when the motor was built, and remember oil pressure is a measure of resistance, not flow.

For temps, again yours will be different. Most who road race here are using a stock shortblock thats not gona make as much heat as yours will. If your using synthetic on track it can take a lot of heat, but most here will tell you to try and keep it under 250. More like 20-30* hotter than your water.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:35 AM
Launching!

I'm just trying to get an idea of "normal" ranges on the track.

I want to know if there is a pressure thats too high for the little plastic plunger thingy in the block. What kind of pressures are you guys seeing on the straights, and with what oil viscosity? Thanks.

Actually, oil pressure is a measure of...oil pressure, without knowing the the other 2 variables (flow and resistance).

What are your oil temps running with an oil cooler?

Originally Posted by DONAIMIAN
Your oil data is gona be different from everyone else's. Oil pressure will depend on how loose or tight the bearings were set up when the motor was built, and remember oil pressure is a measure of resistance, not flow.

For temps, again yours will be different. Most who road race here are using a stock shortblock thats not gona make as much heat as yours will. If your using synthetic on track it can take a lot of heat, but most here will tell you to try and keep it under 250. More like 20-30* hotter than your water.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:16 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

Originally Posted by jtl12419
I'm just trying to get an idea of "normal" ranges on the track.

I want to know if there is a pressure thats too high for the little plastic plunger thingy in the block. What kind of pressures are you guys seeing on the straights, and with what oil viscosity? Thanks.

Actually, oil pressure is a measure of...oil pressure, without knowing the the other 2 variables (flow and resistance).

What are your oil temps running with an oil cooler?
only way to compare is to have the same two cars running at same time time with same oil. every car is soooo different

Quick Reply: What's normal oil pressure for roadracing.