Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

F stock rules on adding power steering cooler to 4th gen

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 07:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F stock rules on adding power steering cooler to 4th gen

Ok, I searched for an answer but couldn't find any threads containing it.

Power steering coolers were on some 4th gens and not others. I know it has a RPO code (V12) and supposedly it was not standard on any package. Was it a dealer add on? IF so is it legal to install it on my base model '01 Z28 and not break any SCCA rule concerning F stock? Or should I write the SEB a letter t get the final answer on the matter?

Any help is appreciated. I mainly autocross (I know the car is and underdog now that the shelby GTs are in FS) but like to do lapping/DEs every now and then. The fluid temp is not a major problem at autocrosses, but TWS is brutal on it.

Thanks in advance,
Old 11-23-2007, 08:07 PM
TECH Regular

According to the info I found, it was a stand-alone option on 99+. So, you can add a factory PS cooler and nothing else and be OK. There are some discussions over on Frrax about this very topic, and this SEEMED to be the consensus.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:30 PM
12 Second Club

Yes, especially at a local autocross. I really don't think that they are going to ask for a build sheet/window sticker, look at your door jam codes, nor protest you, even if you win F/Stock.
Now, at the nationals ANYTHING could (and does) happen.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:30 AM
Teching In

yeah, I'm not too worried about it at local even divisional or Tour events. But at Nationals there are protest Natzies that would do it just because. Finding documentation to support that it was available for any car in any trim level will probably be the best support, but where?
Old 11-26-2007, 09:17 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RockRacer
yeah, I'm not too worried about it at local even divisional or Tour events. But at Nationals there are protest Natzies that would do it just because. Finding documentation to support that it was available for any car in any trim level will probably be the best support, but where?
Damn, I just realized it was you, Tye. I'd go ask over on Frrax; there aren't many FS guys over here (and the ones that are here are all over there).
Old 11-26-2007, 10:55 AM
TECH Resident

PS coolers were standard on SS models so I would think it would be OK. I have done 4 HPDEs and the steering has not been a problem.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:09 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Arctic2002ss
PS coolers were standard on SS models so I would think it would be OK. I have done 4 HPDEs and the steering has not been a problem.
That logic doesn't quite work. Your car configuration has to have been available from the factory. For example: if ONLY SS cars got the cooler, then your car has to be exactly like an SS to use the cooler. Just because some f-bodies got it, doesn't mean that any car can use it.

That isn't the case here, as the PS cooler was available as an option on regular Z28's, but it is an important distinction to make.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Arctic2002ss

If it were standard on SS models only then I would have to upgrade Wheels, Hood, and Hatch. To be able to run the power steering cooler. According to the SCCA rules. I figure there will be several cars that have done this at nationals next year just to be able to run the wider tires. But that is a whole new subject.

I have done one HPDE and my power steering was NOT fine. Partly because of a failed cap. The spring that holds it on was all that was left in the reservoir. I figure that keeping the temp at 210 degrees is better than letting it get hot enough to melt the bottom of the reservoir. But since I do more AutoX than HPDE I have to keep it SCCA legal. We all know how thier rules are written.

Thanks Chad I'll probably ask it over ther then.

LAter,

Last edited by RockRacer; 11-27-2007 at 10:41 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-09-2007, 11:06 PM
Launching!

Tye, I've added the OE PS cooler to my Z and switched to Red Line PS fluid. I had no problems with those additions, but my pump started whining after my first DE. I eventually got a Turn One pump, which is an internally-modified OE pump. You may want to consider one of those as well.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 141 Likes on 92 Posts

Modifed pumps are technically not legal for FS.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 12-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Launching!

You are correct Sam....
Old 12-11-2007, 05:13 PM
Staging Lane

The PS cooler came on all B4C's along with other suspension upgrades- a great place to start for a high-perf car...

It was optionally available on almost anything else, I can personally attest to a '02 Z28 6-speed that was so equipted-
Old 12-12-2007, 05:22 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Modifed pumps are technically not legal for FS.
Besides even if you were to try cheating by passing it off as a 'stock' pump, you would be betrayed/found out by the aftermarket pulley (unless you went through the bother/disadvantage of reinstalling the stock pulley).
Old 12-12-2007, 06:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Rob Hood
Tye, I've added the OE PS cooler to my Z and switched to Red Line PS fluid. I had no problems with those additions, but my pump started whining after my first DE. I eventually got a Turn One pump, which is an internally-modified OE pump. You may want to consider one of those as well.

My new OE pump started whining after switching over to Redline. Wondered if adding a little Lucas PS fluid stabilizer would help or if it shouldn't be mixed with synthetic fluids. I know the stuff works in our Freightliners; helps prolong the box life. Anybody know anything about BG products synthetic. All the drag racers use it up here; all I know is its green in color.

The modified pump probably has something that would give it away even if you were to put the oe pulley back on it. The only place I would be concerned with it is Nationals. But you never know when someone would protest it just for the heck of it. May go that way when I get my CP car finished and just want to play with this one. LAter,
Old 12-12-2007, 06:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 141 Likes on 92 Posts

I bet it's not bled completely. My Z28 is an '01. Got it 9/2000. It's been autoxed all it's life, and hard. Almost always with two drivers, sometimes 3 per event. Since 2004, it's had 17x11's and 315's on it. Still has the stock PS pump and cooler, and has been on Redline since 2002. Yes, it seeps out the front seal, but that's all. And come to find out most of the first year the return line from the cooler was kinked (thank you GM). And the seeping started then.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 12-12-2007, 07:07 PM
TECH Regular

The modified pump probably has something that would give it away even if you were to put the oe pulley back on it. The only place I would be concerned with it is Nationals. But you never know when someone would protest it just for the heck of it. May go that way when I get my CP car finished and just want to play with this one. LAter,
You have to watch out for this random protests that just come out of nowhere!

Besides, why worry about FS legality anymore? Word on the street is that you shouldn't even bother showing up for FS unless you have a Shelby.

**Disclaimer: this point is satire. Don't get all worked up about it.**
Old 12-12-2007, 08:47 PM
Teching In

I know those random protests don't ever show up till there is money (aka. tires) on the line.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:49 PM
TECH Regular

I know those random protests don't ever show up till there is money (aka. tires) on the line.
Ding ding ding! We have a winner!