Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Tire Heat Cycling options

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Heat Cycling options

I searched, and found nothing, so here goes.

I run HPDE's, and just got to the point of buying some dedicated rubber. I got an awesome deal on some Hoosier grand am gup tires.

I know I need to heat cycle them prior to running them. I run between 4 and 6 HPDE weekends per year, and would prefer to not miss an entire weekend, heat cycling my new tires, then running the rest of the weekend on my street tires (I nearly delaminated one in December @ VIR, which is a big reason I'm done killing my street tires on the track).

I know TireRack has a heat cycling service if you buy from them, but since I already have my tires, that's a no go. Is there a way to do this without tanking one of my weekends? Does anyone else offer this service (I googled, and didn't find anything.) The tires are slicks, so running around on them on the street would not be a good idea.

Is this something that I can do in a big parking lot, for 15 minutes, following hoosiers instrcutions?

Thanks,

Chris
Old 01-11-2008, 10:39 AM
roy
TECH Resident

Yes big parking lot will work
Old 01-16-2008, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Bump.

Anyone?

-Chris
Old 01-16-2008, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are they brand new cup tires or take offs? If they're take offs, then they're ready to use. If you need to heat cycle them, then the parking lot method will work. Preferrably, find an autox and do it there. If worse comes to worse, driving the on the interstate works in a pinch.

What size are they?
Old 01-16-2008, 07:24 PM
Launching!

doubt you will get enough heat in them in a parking lot before you get arrested
Old 01-16-2008, 08:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by trukk
Bump.

Anyone?

-Chris
Sorry Chris i did not see this post. Well everyone has there own .02 and here is mine that worked well with the V,SS and the M. Run a warm up lap, then on ur 2nd lap go faster on your 3rd lap go as fast as you can go around the track without touching the brake or spining tires. It will build enough heat in the tire and not got to hot to fast. Then take the tires off the car and let sit for at least 24 hours at room temp. That is what i have done in the past and no issue. When i got the tires for the SS i just went out on the street and put about 15 miles on them and then took them off and let them sit for the weekend. Make sure you set your tire pressure to spec as rated, and i also marked frt and rear. As i said worked for me with no problem but everyone will give you a .02.

Thanks
Damian .

PS sent you a email.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply's guys. Response below.

Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram
Are they brand new cup tires or take offs? If they're take offs, then they're ready to use. If you need to heat cycle them, then the parking lot method will work. Preferrably, find an autox and do it there. If worse comes to worse, driving the on the interstate works in a pinch.

What size are they?
They are brand new. Hoosier was/is having a closeout sale on 245/40R18's which is perfect for the CTS-V. $607 shipped, which I was quite happy about. From what I can determine, the Grand Am cup tires basically use close to the same compund as the R6's (just a bit harder to put up with 3 hour races w/o changeing), and also has steel belts in them for longevity vs. none for the R6's. This is my first set of race rubber, thus the question. I want to make these tires last, as this is somewhat of a luxury for me (I'm just doing HPDE's).

Originally Posted by Speedpup
doubt you will get enough heat in them in a parking lot before you get arrested
LOL, perhaps I'll just go run on the highway a bit, then go scorch up a parking lot for a few minutes.

Originally Posted by A502slo
Sorry Chris i did not see this post. Well everyone has there own .02 and here is mine that worked well with the V,SS and the M. Run a warm up lap, then on ur 2nd lap go faster on your 3rd lap go as fast as you can go around the track without touching the brake or spining tires. It will build enough heat in the tire and not got to hot to fast. Then take the tires off the car and let sit for at least 24 hours at room temp. That is what i have done in the past and no issue. When i got the tires for the SS i just went out on the street and put about 15 miles on them and then took them off and let them sit for the weekend. Make sure you set your tire pressure to spec as rated, and i also marked frt and rear. As i said worked for me with no problem but everyone will give you a .02.

Thanks
Damian .

PS sent you a email.
I'm going to run 4 HPDE's this year. I'd prefer not to 'waste' and entire weekend heat cycling this set. While, I want to do what I can to make these tires last, I don't want to give up that weekend, as my free time for HPDE's is very limited.

I'll get with you in a few weeks to schedule my cam install BTW , looking forward to that for sure.

-Chris