Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

you think this matters at all for autox ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 05:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch question autox ? will it even matter?

so i'm trying to figure out what to do....

car currently is 2000 z28, weighs ~3400lbs and has 3.73 gears, basically stock and 100 shot,
but will eventually be a bolt on/150 shot, looking for 500rwhp or so,

only plan on drag racing it once a year maybe just for fun, mostly just a street toy that gets autox'd 5+ times a year, running nitto nt555r drag radials, my clutch is on its last legs so i've narrowed it down to two choices

1. spec 3+ and aluminum flywheel-
holds 700lbs
will cost me about $715 the setup i need (flywheel, etc)
total (clutch + flywheel) weighs 43.5lbs

2. RPS segmented flywheel and single disc clutch -
holds ~550lb
will cost me about $650
total setup weighs 34lbs

(i think stock is around 60lbs for flywheel and clutch)

so my questions are:

of those of you here running RPS single disc clutch setups, how much power are you putting down and what are your thoughts? its right on the edge of the RPS torque limits, so do you think this setup will work given that i will very rarely be spraying it? did you guys have to shim it to make it work?

how much of a difference do you think the 9lbs (Spec vs RPS setup) will be when driving/dragging/autoxing it?

i really want the lightest possible setup for autoxing the car but also dont want to be changing it anytime soon

also you think a new set of nitto drag radials on the back and the nitto nt555r II will last through 6-7 autox events and 10K miles street driving?

by the way, here is my current suspension setup for now, not the best but i'm getting there (only had the car for 8 months)

BMR adjustable panhard bar
eibach pro-kit springs
AGX adjustable shocks
J&H lower control arms
strut tower brace
OEM z06 rims (17x8 and 18x11 or something)

Last edited by allforspeed; 03-13-2008 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

You're building for straight line, not autocross. F-bod's are pigs, and roll horribly. The eibach's are too soft to counter the weight in a turn. Panhard and shocks are on the right track, so's the tower brace, but by adding weight to the car, you're shooting yourself in the foot. The NOS won't be useful in auto-x.

Yea, I'm downing on your setup, but why should I lie to you? BTW, are the Z06's fronts or rears? Good choice on the wheels. If you want a car that does it all (some dragstrip, DD, 'lil auto-x), then build a balanced car. By that, I mean a stout engine, good suspension, and tight frame. Shoot for parts that work together, and the car will work together with the nut behind the wheel (you). Just my .02.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

no offense taken man, this is a brand new car to me, i'm not trying to win nationals or something, i just basically want something that will be fun to drive with my dad a few times a year, my local car club that puts on the autox's barely even has classes actually,

i was hoping that i could use the eibachs that came with the car, crank the AGX shocks to max and get some strano sway bars Front and rear and be pretty good to go but i'm guessing that wont be the case from your comments..... do you think that with some good anti roll bars i'll still need new springs?

i obviously wont be using the 100 shot on the autox, and i'll be taking the bottle out when autox too, its just for street fun and my once a year drag race day to spank my import buddies (built STI wrx and porsche)

those z06s are front and rears, i hear the nitto nt555r weren't bad to autox if you keep the tire pressure at 30psi and then i'm getting nitto nt555r 2's for the front, it was my understanding those are basically the same but with a stiffer sidewall, and the fronts have a 40 profile tire while the rear is a 30 profile so i thought it would probably work,

i have some decent pirreli Pzero tires on there now, so maybe i should just keep those?

aside from the Nitrous i dont know what is so straight line about my setup?

do you think the 9lb difference between the 2 clutch setups will even be noticeable? and if so do you think its worth giving up the increase clamping load the SPEC clutch has for the difference?
Old 03-14-2008, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

i'm also looking at swapping out my power/leather adjustable seats for some corbeau clubman fixed back racing seats,

is saving 20lbs per seat a pretty reasonable expectation? i know these racing seats weigh ~20lbs each.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by allforspeed
i was hoping that i could use the eibachs that came with the car, crank the AGX shocks to max and get some strano sway bars Front and rear and be pretty good to go but i'm guessing that wont be the case from your comments..... do you think that with some good anti roll bars i'll still need new springs?
You're springs are what made me say "it's a straight line setup". They are softer than even the stock springs. If you want a well handling car, stiffen the chassis, stiffen the springs, and tie the two sides of the car together. Subframes, good springs/shocks, and stout swaybars will get you there.

The Pirelli Pzero's are a good tire. they'll hold up well for autox days as well.

Dropping the stock seats is a good way to drop some weight; go for it. you'll feel the 40lbs lost.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure how much difference the clutch will make. I went from the factory stocker to a LS7 clutch. From my understanding the LS7 clutch and flywheel setup weigh significantly more then the stocker and I really couldn't tell the difference between the 2 setups. My car is pretty much stock engine wise, so not sure if that makes much difference in the way it would feel.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:48 PM
On The Tree

wont be getting sway bars till summer most likely, so we'll see about that.

thanks guys, i'm going tojust autox it as it is while i build it throughout the year and then we'll see how much of a difference it makes, still undecided on the clutch, i guess i'll just wait a bit more till my stock one is TOTALLY toast ahahah... than i'll have to make a decision.

i'll try the Pzero's if you all think they'll be ok, then once they're smoked i'll probably put on some nitto nt555r2's on tehre and we'll see how much time it shaves off my laps... will be fun to have such a solid way to measure each change and see exactly how much time each change will help.

i'll post back here how each change feels though,
Old 03-17-2008, 09:56 PM
Sex On Wheels

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I have eibach and KYB in mine and have done decent at a road course. Definitely not ideal and I'm looking to replace but I think it's unfair to say you are unable to take turns or the car "rolls horribly." My car stays pretty level and it's suspension is stock SS sway bars, eibachs, kyb agx, and weld in subframes.

It handles pretty well but I'm running on r-compounds (NT01's).

William
Old 03-17-2008, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by will69camaro
I think it's unfair to say you are unable to take turns or the car "rolls horribly." My car stays pretty level and it's suspension is stock SS sway bars, eibachs, kyb agx, and weld in subframes.
I base my opinion on going from my wife's stock suspended WS6 to my 01 Corvette in track prepped trim. Driving the T/A is like piloting an oil tanker.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:35 PM
Sex On Wheels

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

That is probably very true. I'm basing mine off my car (99 camaro) vs. friends 03 cobra haha.

Vette/Camaro are in different leagues

William
Old 03-18-2008, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

i fealt that the eibachs were substantially stiffer than stock too once those were put in, maybe i'm putting the wrong kind of eibach named springs or whatever, but they were certainly more stiff, im also hesitant to sink too much money in this camaro, goal in the next 2 years is definately to get into a C5.....
Old 03-18-2008, 03:32 PM
12 Second Club

For what it is worth in my opinion:

Seats will save you a little bit of weight but the brackets will add up to little savings. (I have corbeau seats) You are probably justified if you are looking for support more that weight reduction though. If you are looking to save weight as a primary reason for buying them don't. Spend the $1,000 on a nice cage install or something.

In my opinion while it will make for a great lightweight package a lot of guys who I talk to HATE their aluminum flywheels for drag racing. They all say the same thing, that it makes launching a pain in the ***.

I am still kind of a new guy to autocross and RR as well but I have about 2 seasons and quite a few laps of experience with this car. I for sure don't know a ton about the car yet but that stated above is my current opinion. Also, welcome to the sport!

Last edited by Funkster; 03-20-2008 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

IMHO, this is the best mod you can make for track days and autox'ing!
Attached Thumbnails you think this matters at all for autox ?-race-rubber.jpg  
Old 03-19-2008, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

thanks guys! yeah i'll probably be getting another set of OEM z06 rims with dedicated autox tires, that way in 1-2 years when i step up to the c5 (hopefully a z06) i can still use them on the vette, as i plan to also swap my nitrous and anything else from the camaro i can.

i'll let you all know how it goes!
Old 03-24-2008, 07:37 PM

If you are going to autocross SCCA, you cannot have the NOS - not even in the pits.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

thats good to know , i just race with a local car club her in northern CA that has an old airport track, its really informal and you pretty much just race against yourself since the classes are so broad, basically number of cylinders and tires, so i'm V8 street tire, which puts me in the same class as a z06 vette, but also same as a stock lt1 firebird.

i'm buying a shifter kart this summer for real competition, this is just for some weekend fun with my father and i, i'll most likely buy a c5 z06 sometime soon in the next 1-2 years too .
Old 04-12-2008, 12:12 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Camaro_SS
IMHO, this is the best mod you can make for track days and autox'ing!
x2. Tires and an alignment first. Then see what else you need based on how the car reacts.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:04 PM
Staging Lane

I've run stock and after market suspension setups and I can tell you the Koni shocks with my Eibach setup went very nice together. I used to push going into the turns on the stock shocks, but as soon as I changed out with the Koni's all got real tight. That coupled with some sticky kumo's made for a nice ride and lots of fun.

I have an L/W flywheel and Spec stage II clutch, more than enough grab and more rev happy now. I think stage III and higher clutches would not be very forgiving in street trim.

As for weight, I always drop the cheap stuff first. Like the spare tire and jack. Then perhaps move the Bat to the back to help with weight transfer. It get's expensive from there. The seats wouldn't be a bad idea, but I would be more interested in the seats locking me in tight more so that the weight savings