Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

race prep/weight for 4 th gen

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008 | 09:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default race prep/weight for 4 th gen

I posted this in the Racers Lounge but got nothing.

thinking of offering a 94 I have to a friend for autocross.
hes been an autocross champ for many years but due to family
things has lost all his stuff.
Now I have a complete beater 94,will need to ditch the 3.4 and probably go
for a high tech 3.8 or 4.1,along with changing the rear and the trans.
Any and all encouragement and advise is welcome.

I want to lighten the heck out of it,it will not be streetable so will most likely
loose all the fluff like airbags,ABS,pop up lights,crash supports for bumpers
interior etc.Its a hardtop so with SFC and a good rollcage I think it will be solid.
what race weight can I expect to get it to without expensive carbon fiber parts.
I do plan on lexan rear glass and maybe windshield.
Old 04-04-2008 | 09:44 AM
10 Second Club

i would think you could get it down to the 29xx range

follow this list, its in the drag race tech section
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-tech/846228-weight-reduction-list-fully-updated.html

-brandon
Old 04-04-2008 | 12:30 PM
12 Second Club

With a good, properly designed and built rollcage you DO NOT NEED SFCs!!! So that is even MORE weight to be saved.

Some have even had these things down to < 2800# depending on the engine, drivetrain, wheels, and seats used.
Old 04-04-2008 | 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the encouragement
Ive got a spare L-67 and my friend is a computer tuner
so we can cut a small section in the cowl,adapt a manual trans
and gut the car of everything
Old 04-13-2008 | 02:29 AM
TECH Addict

Would it be worth it to remove the bumper crash supports on a 70% street car? I'm looking to loose some weight, but don't want to go crazy. Or should I just leave it there for the "just in case" something happens
Old 04-14-2008 | 12:31 PM
10 Second Club

my car is daily driven and i have front/rear bumper supports out and the side impact bars out as well.

-brandon
Old 04-14-2008 | 03:31 PM
TECH Addict

how much are you willing to rip out? ...we talking all panels, headliner, carpet, etc.?

Trending Topics

Old 04-16-2008 | 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

^^ Was that directed to me or the OP? I still want my interior, but would like to balance out the weight or loose a little after I install the rollcage. I'd be willing to loose the rear seat, possibly the door reinforcements front and rear bumpers cuts, and other misc parts to loose weight. I still want the car to drive down the road without a ton of rattles, but I can deal with a few here and there

Sorry for the thread jack man
Old 04-17-2008 | 02:09 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
^^ Was that directed to me or the OP? I still want my interior, but would like to balance out the weight or loose a little after I install the rollcage. I'd be willing to loose the rear seat, possibly the door reinforcements front and rear bumpers cuts, and other misc parts to loose weight. I still want the car to drive down the road without a ton of rattles, but I can deal with a few here and there

Sorry for the thread jack man
major contribution to rattling will be your exhaust and how beefed up your engine is... that is if you decide to get serious with ripping out all the guts... you won't be able to get ride of them once you start
Old 04-19-2008 | 02:58 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RrCoX22
major contribution to rattling will be your exhaust and how beefed up your engine is... that is if you decide to get serious with ripping out all the guts... you won't be able to get ride of them once you start
Well right now I'm in the ballpark of 400rwhp which I think is good for an all around N/A street car. I plan on going to road america next spring, and going drag racing a few times a year with some friends of mine. I just want to keep the car street friendly. My exhaust setup right now is true duals with an X pipe and bullets dumped. When I redo it it will be ebay stainless CME tips powdercoated black with Flowmaster delta 40 race mufflers

As long as the car doesn't sound like its going to rattle apart I'm cool with it, plus the cage should take out alot of the rattle just like SFCs do.

If I take the bumper guys out do I need to put anything back to support the bumper cover or will it just sit there?
Old 04-19-2008 | 03:03 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by toplessHO
I posted this in the Racers Lounge but got nothing.

thinking of offering a 94 I have to a friend for autocross.
hes been an autocross champ for many years but due to family
things has lost all his stuff.
Now I have a complete beater 94,will need to ditch the 3.4 and probably go
for a high tech 3.8 or 4.1,along with changing the rear and the trans.
Any and all encouragement and advise is welcome.

I want to lighten the heck out of it,it will not be streetable so will most likely
loose all the fluff like airbags,ABS,pop up lights,crash supports for bumpers
interior etc.Its a hardtop so with SFC and a good rollcage I think it will be solid.
what race weight can I expect to get it to without expensive carbon fiber parts.
I do plan on lexan rear glass and maybe windshield.
Seems like alot of guys running V8s are getting down to ~3200-3300 but I'm not really sure whats actually left kn the car, I'm sure you could get lower, but then your into the full tube chassis, aluminum floor pans and so on. And like mentioned if your going to do a cage you wouldn't need SFCs unless you felt that you were cutting too much of the structural (SP) integrity out of the car. And your going V6 so you will loose a little bit there too.

Keep us posted on the progress, I'm always interested on how everyone goes about gutting their cars
Old 04-23-2008 | 07:05 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
Would it be worth it to remove the bumper crash supports on a 70% street car? I'm looking to loose some weight, but don't want to go crazy. Or should I just leave it there for the "just in case" something happens
NO! lolol!.... those are engineered to work with the suspension to add an ever increasing spring rate the more you compress them and really play a role in how your car will handle when you push it to its limits... they can be the difference between keeping your car's suspension components from hitting eachother in a real hard manuever or corner; and broken parts, extremely rough ride when pushed hard, and a predictable chassis at the extremes. especially with straight line drag race components that have much more give in them; as those will use those jounce bumpers more often. they are essentially a variable rate spring. too often people overlook those little guys and the role they play in suspension travel.
Old 04-23-2008 | 12:04 PM
12 Second Club

He's asking about the BODY'S bumper supports, NOT the suspension's bumpstops!

Quick Reply: race prep/weight for 4 th gen