Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tires?

I am looking for a set of tires for some spare rims. What I would like is something DOT approved that I can throw on the, drive to an autocross or track day, and drive home.

I would prefer something that is not a complete slick or cheater slick in case I get caught in the rain on the trip or it is a wet event.

The rims in question are 17x9's and I am looking for a 275/40-17 tire

-Thanks
-Tim
Old 09-07-2008, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

falken 615
BFG KD
BFG KDW
Old 09-07-2008, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my falken 615s stick like glue, but i'd recommend finding r compound tires that have reasonable wet traction (like 45mph in the rain "reasonable").
Old 09-08-2008, 07:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NJSPDER
I am looking for a set of tires for some spare rims. What I would like is something DOT approved that I can throw on the, drive to an autocross or track day, and drive home.

I would prefer something that is not a complete slick or cheater slick in case I get caught in the rain on the trip or it is a wet event.

The rims in question are 17x9's and I am looking for a 275/40-17 tire

-Thanks
-Tim
Tim-

I've spent years changing my tires at the track, and I'm having thoughts similar to your idea for next season.

I ran 255-50R16 DOT slicks on a set of IROC rims...Goodyear GSCS and BFG R1 were my favorites.

For next season, I'm looking at the Nitto NT01 in the same size you listed. Price is favorable, and Hunkins seems happy with his:

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tec...est/index.html
Old 09-08-2008, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

NT01s are well liked if you don't have to worry about a minimum tread-ware (they are 100s) for classing.

I love my Falken 615s, and the 200 tread-ware rating lets me run in street tire class.
Not great in the rain, but not dangerous either.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Treadwear isn't a big consideration really because I won't be class racing the car. Just using it for some weekend warrior stuff from time to time.

I see so many recommendations for the 615's that I am starting to lean in that direction. I hear good things about Nitto's newer tires, but I will give it time. I have used and seen some stuff from them in the past that I wasn't happy with.

Does anyone run Kuhmo's anymore? I remember when the original Victoracer's were the hottest thing going (yes, I am that old).

Crainholio, has goodyear made revisions to the R1 over the years? I remember a few of the older designs having real problems when they would start to lose grip, as in you didn't "start" to lose grip, they were either hooked up or completely not. I don't remember them wearing very well either. Have they changed?

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:02 PM
TECH Addict

Crainholio, has goodyear made revisions to the R1 over the years? I remember a few of the older designs having real problems when they would start to lose grip, as in you didn't "start" to lose grip, they were either hooked up or completely not. I don't remember them wearing very well either. Have they changed?
Goodyear doesn't market their DOT slicks any longer, so yup they've changed. I haven't been able to find a source for their GSCS DOT slicks, which is what put me in a mind to change my strategy.

The ones I'm running have been excellent for 8 road course events I've gotten from them. Last bout was at the F-Body event at Memphis this Summer, and I finally used up the rears running too much rear spring rate and drifting too much.

The closest they came to unhooking was in the S-turns, I had Jeff Creech of CAM fame on board and the backs gave just a slight howl when I got on the gas too much/fast exiting the last S...car stayed on course the whole time.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

i have the 615s. kuhmo makes the best slick for autox, 710s. theyre not made for road courses, especially not in a heavy f-body. hoosier R6s are best for a road course in slicks. shaved vics would be alright. full tread for rain. NT01 would be better but dont last long.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:52 PM
12 Second Club

has goodyear made revisions to the R1 over the years? I remember a few of the older designs having real problems when they would start to lose grip, as in you didn't "start" to lose grip, they were either hooked up or completely not. I don't remember them wearing very well either. Have they changed?
Maybe you are confusing the BFG R1 of yester year with the Goodyear GSCS (that crainholio mentioned)??

BFG just came back onto the scene recently after a LONG absense with the NEW, almost ALL slick (a la Hoosier A/R 6, or Kumho 710) R1.
From what I've heard the treadwear and grip/'stickiness' levels are somewhere in between the said R6es and 710s, but maybe some who have actually used all three can chime in with some objective comparisons.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:00 AM
Staging Lane

Does anyone run Kuhmo's anymore? I remember when the original Victoracer's were the hottest thing going (yes, I am that old).
I still run the victos on my 73 corvette. It's the cheapest dot race tire out there that makes a size i run. They hook pretty well and last longer than the v710's or hoosiers. I don't recommend them in the rain.

If you are looking for a good steet tire, I have heard some good things about the kumho MX tires. Alot of people I know runnign them on their vettes.

I run the BF goodrich G-force Sports as an everyday tire with some occasional autox. They grip really well for a street tire, but make no noise before you reach the limit. Had them on the car for 3 summers now.

Quick Reply: Tires?