Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

What did you do to your V today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
Edit2: Missed this post before:

So what's the story? Whose Alfa, and how was it? I think it looks fantastic, and the turbo-6 sounds a helluva lot better (in the one video I've seen from Alfa) than BMW's or Cadillac's turbo-6s do.
I can't really talk much about it other than what's been published on the Alfa website, but it's something I'm working on these days.

It is quite a machine and a blast to drive around the twisties! The exhaust sounds light years better than the ATS-V and the interior is exceptional. It's properly fast and is scary how quick the speedo hits triple digits. Fortunately for me I have access to high speed ovals and closed circuit test facilities as part of my job! 6spd manual RWD with torque vectoring and 500+hp wooha!
Old 04-20-2016, 10:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Installed new rotors and pads today. Stop tech rotors, centric pads. Despite the abundance of information on how drilled rotors are not needed, they still do look sweet!

Front.

Rears, before i put the lug caps on.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by barrok69
I can't really talk much about it other than what's been published on the Alfa website, but it's something I'm working on these days.

It is quite a machine and a blast to drive around the twisties! The exhaust sounds light years better than the ATS-V and the interior is exceptional. It's properly fast and is scary how quick the speedo hits triple digits. Fortunately for me I have access to high speed ovals and closed circuit test facilities as part of my job! 6spd manual RWD with torque vectoring and 500+hp wooha!
Sounds like a pretty sweet job!
Old 04-21-2016, 08:27 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
I think people keep for getting that to get the driver side axel installed you need to raise the diff up. For this it has to be unbolted.
This helped, thanks. Originally I had left the bolts loose, but this time I left them out and just supported it with a transmission jack and the axle went in easily.
Old 04-24-2016, 01:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Took the car out to the season-opening auto-x for the Washington DC Region SCCA. The V is not my preferred auto-x car, but my preferred auto-x car hasn't run in 2-1/2 years , soooo ... I had to make do.

WDCR does morning and afternoon sessions, and Street Mod was running in the afternoon. It was rainy off and on all morning, and was supposed to clear up in the afternoon. I loaded my R-comps in the car, not sure if I would actually run them. When I got to Fedex Field the course was very wet, some rain still falling, and grey skies to the horizon. So, I elected to keep the street tires on, which of course meant that by the time my heat started the sun was out and the course was basically completely dry. 245/40-19 Conti DWs up front, 275/35-19 Falken FK453s in the rear. Didn't touch anything on the car - left the tire pressures where I run them on the street, didn't mess with the KW settings.

I ended up 4th out of 5 in the class, behind a well-prepped Evo and a well-prepped STI with 2 drivers, both on R-comps. I was barely ahead of a Corolla GT-S, which I think only did 2 runs before having bearing issues. (It was his back-up car, as well.)

First run I almost looped it entering a slalom, but caught it and only picked up one cone. 63.3ish

Second run I was more cautious where I had almost looped it, so was good there, but then did loop it farther down the slalom. This was in a slightly downhill section of the parking lot, it's sealed asphalt so pretty slick. Put on a nice smoke show sliding briefly backwards with the rears still spinning at the top of 2nd gear. 66.xxx

Third run I spaced out and forgot to disable Stability Control. Figured that out at the first tight turn 75yds into the course, but of course there's nothing to be done about it at that point. Clean run, with the nannies fighting me the whole way. 63.2ish

Final run, remembered to turn off the nannies and put together another clean run. 61.7 - huzzah!

After all that, headed out to meet up with bigti99a to snag his stock driveshaft to assist with my driveline vibration troubleshooting.
Old 04-24-2016, 03:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yesterday afternoon, swapped in my repaired DSS axle and scoured the city for an axle nut minutes before closing time.

Today, ripped the third brake light off, again, to try and solve the condensation issue before it rusts out the neon transformer, replaced the weather stripping, and replaced my license plate LED's that were collateral damage from the third brake light. Had the brilliant idea to heat the entire light in the over at 150*, then I realized I don't own a bakery and our oven is nowhere near that big
Old 04-25-2016, 08:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This past weekend I pulled the engine and transmission out of my car and installed a few parts.

LS3 shortblock
Ported LS3 Heads by Frankenstein racing with dual valve spring and Ti Retainers 11.0:1 compression
Ported LS3 Intake by Frankenstein racing
Ported LS2 Throttle Body by Frankenstein racing
LS3 Injectors
Custom Frankenstein racing cam 233 dur .630 lift intake 246 dur .605 lift exhaust 113 +3 LSA
SLP 25% Underdrive Pulley
ARP Rod Bolts
Melling High Pressure Oil Pump
Comp Cam Rocker Trunion Upgrade
ARP Head Bolts
Improved Racing Oil Pan Baffle
Norris Motorsports Catch Can
and a bunch of misc parts for the LS3 Swap

Also Installed
New LS7 Clutch with Flywheel
Tick Performance bronze shifter cup
Tick Performance LS7 Clutch Line
Pisnoff Brass Shifter Bushing
Home Depot Shifter Stabilizer bushings
1/4 Roll pin in shifter rod.

The engine was all ready assembled prior to this weekend but it still took me 12 hours working on sat and another 7 hrs yesterday but its done and was dropped off at the dyno this morning to get tuned.

Hoping for 500-525+ RWHP.

Video - open headers

Video - with exhaust

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your V today?-1.jpg   What did you do to your V today?-2.jpg   What did you do to your V today?-3.jpg   What did you do to your V today?-4.jpg   What did you do to your V today?-5.jpg  

What did you do to your V today?-6.jpg  

Last edited by FD3SLS1; 04-25-2016 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's quite the engine build. Sounds great too. Interested to see where that cam puts the power.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by FD3SLS1
and a bunch of misc parts for the LS3 Swap

Caddy with exhaust - YouTube
How did you address the reluctor wheel issue, install the 24x in the shortblock or the Lingenfelter box?
Old 04-25-2016, 04:42 PM
On The Tree

Lingerfelter Box, didn't feel like pulling the crank and screwing around trying to swap the reluctor wheel.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 87 Posts

I think you'll be right at 500/450 on a DJ. I'd be tickled if you get more through the V1 driveline. Really nice build!
Old 04-26-2016, 07:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jmilz28
I think you'll be right at 500/450 on a DJ. I'd be tickled if you get more through the V1 driveline. Really nice build!
Well I talked to the tuner yesterday and he wants to make one more pull on it today since his last pull yesterday was at 215F but it put down.

460 RWHP / 408 RWTQ.....on a Mustang Dyno which dyno about 15% lower than a dynojet. So the DynoJet Corrected Numbers are 529 RWHP/ 469 RWTQ, needless to say I'm very pleased with the results. Can't wait to drive it.

Going to try and get it on a DynoJet this weekend.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Fweasel
Today, ripped the third brake light off, again, to try and solve the condensation issue before it rusts out the neon transformer, replaced the weather stripping, :
Did you get the condensation solved....turns out I'm having the same issue this spring. I don't remember seeing it last year.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by FD3SLS1
Well I talked to the tuner yesterday and he wants to make one more pull on it today since his last pull yesterday was at 215F but it put down.

460 RWHP / 408 RWTQ.....on a Mustang Dyno which dyno about 15% lower than a dynojet. So the DynoJet Corrected Numbers are 529 RWHP/ 469 RWTQ, needless to say I'm very pleased with the results. Can't wait to drive it.

Going to try and get it on a DynoJet this weekend.
The concept of "dynoject corrected numbers" is complete and utter bullshit. If you feel the need to lie to yourself to feel good about your mods, fine, but don't present unloaded and/or intentionally inflated measurement results as comparable to eddy current dyno test results.

Oh, and also, Dynojet is a brand. Dynojet offers load cells as an upgrade path for their newer products, but they're not popular because nobody goes to Dynojet looking for an accurate measurement device--their dynos are sold to tuners as moneymakers.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PLA TME
Did you get the condensation solved....turns out I'm having the same issue this spring. I don't remember seeing it last year.
Can't tell yet. This is the third light, all have developed condensation, car sits outside 365. Couldn't find a way to dry out current light when I sealed it up, so I'm waiting for warm weather to evaporate the existing water and we'll see if it happens again.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
...their dynos are sold to tuners as moneymakers.
Just because it may not be deemed "accurate" doesn't mean it couldn't be used as a tool to measure net horsepower gains or losses during the tuning process. If you know how to use it, the Dynojet can help you get to your peak power numbers even if the numbers are skewed or inaccurate. So i guess i agree with you...their dynos are sold to tuners as moneymakers.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

dynos are just ment to be tuning tools, you are retarted if you think they all read the same.

its the people that think they are best used for a dick messuere that drive me nuts.
mph is a good dick messuere if your into that not your dyno sheet
Old 04-28-2016, 08:02 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by runsfromdacops
dynos are just ment to be tuning tools, you are retarted if you think they all read the same.

its the people that think they are best used for a dick messuere that drive me nuts.
mph is a good dick messuere if your into that not your dyno sheet
Agreed 100%
Old 04-28-2016, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know about NA cars but dynojet dynos are useless for turbo cars. They can't load the driveline enough to produce any kind of reasonable boost so your tuning is trash until you hit the street after you 'put down your numbers'. I had to retune my Subaru to produce the numbers and then put the tune back proper to produce the airflow. It's just not a good representation of the cars actual performance at all.

This was a dyno day, which was a total waste of everybody's time. I already had a great street tune and couldn't believe what the dyno was doing so I played around a little bit. They are junk even for tuning unless you are starting from so far off that you just need to get it driveable.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by isis
I don't know about NA cars but dynojet dynos are useless for turbo cars.
Strange. All of the tuning for my modded Legacy was done on a dynojet. It performed great both on the street and at the track, freezing temps, to oppressive summer heat.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your V today?