Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Straub Bushing Trunion Kits?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 10:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Is it a case of the trunnion itself is not hardened properly?
I sent one to Element labs for chemical and physical makeup.

Should have results within the next week. This was on my on account.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:42 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

So I'm guessing the stock rockers with needle bearings had this same issue... or am I wrong?
Old 05-13-2016, 11:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

A bushing style bearing can take much more load than a roller/needle style bearing... and they both require lubrication.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

The OE rockers are a different arrangement... the needles/rollers do not run on the trunion, they run in between inner/outer hardened sleeve pair (i.e. inner sleeve is pressed on trunion, outer sleeve is pressed in rocker body)...

so if you're looking for trunion damage, it would show up on the running surfaces of the inner/outer sleeves, these are made from hardened steel stampings, so they will not show any wear.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

I surmise that the Comp trunions are not heat treated properly, I will test this when I get home (see if a file cuts the running surface, if the heat treatment is correct then it should not).

Also note that the OE needle/rollers are bigger than those in the Comp kit (bigger radius roller spreads load out a bit more).
Old 05-13-2016, 04:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I never liked the comp style trunion. Why I am still rocking the stockers. I liked the CME or something bronzed bushing upgraded ones but were to much money and mite as well go aftermarket. These look great and should be installing a set in my buddy's rockers this weekend.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by joecar
I surmise that the Comp trunions are not heat treated properly, I will test this when I get home (see if a file cuts the running surface, if the heat treatment is correct then it should not).

Also note that the OE needle/rollers are bigger than those in the Comp kit (bigger radius roller spreads load out a bit more).
There is a lot more to this than just the heat treating. I bought a set from Summit and the surface finish where the bearing rides was pathetic. We checked it on a Profilometer and in was around 20 Ra. It should be around 8-10 Ra. With that bad of a finish (it was not even ground), it will not take long for the rollers to pick up material and destroy the rollers, which looks like the issue with the pictures above.

I can have the material checked for hardness and run a metal analyzer on the material next week. It will tell you everything. My guess is it is something close to 4140 and about 50 Rc. They should be 52100 bearing steel and about 60 Rc, but that would double the price.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Installed the Straub set lastnight, waited until this am to crank the Corvette.

Horrible squealing noise when it first fired off. The noise has now deminished. I will be changing oil and filter later today for safe sake.

As far as valve train noise goes, there's no noticeable difference.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

I had a squealing when I first started mine also. And I had soaked it in oil prior,also cranked the engine over a few times to build oil pressure before having it fire up. The noise did go away after building some heat into the valvetrain. I plan on changing the oil after breaking in my clutch and going to a quality 10w30 and see if that helps. Valavetrain noise seems about the same otherwise imo...but then again my car is rather loud regardless.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by brobinson216
Installed the Straub set lastnight, waited until this am to crank the Corvette.

Horrible squealing noise when it first fired off. The noise has now deminished. I will be changing oil and filter later today for safe sake.

As far as valve train noise goes, there's no noticeable difference.

My fears confirmed......changed the oil and found micron particulates in the oil and filter. Not sure if the pictures will show in detail.

Change your oil after start up.

I allowed the bushings and trunions to soak in zinc additive overnight on Thursday, assembled on Friday afternoon. Once the assembly was completed I placed all rockers and bolts in a tub of mobil 1 oil until around 8:00pm last night and then installed.

This morning I cranked the car.

Pictures attached after ten minutes of run time.

This was my primary concern and why I asked the question initially.

Just wanted to add this oil pictured had less than 550 miles of use. Mobil 1 10w30 Gold Cap synthetic. So the color of the oil should show why I'm concerned. This is a 2006 Corvette with 22k miles.

Last edited by brobinson216; 05-14-2016 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:22 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok, that's not good.... can someone please explain if this is typical, and what it is we are seeing here?
Old 05-14-2016, 12:45 PM
12 Second Club

Yikes I should really go check my oil now,Ive had it running about 2 weeks. Better change oil asap!
Old 05-14-2016, 12:48 PM
12 Second Club

Thats quite a color change in oil though which leads me to believe alot more is at play there. Judging from the oil on my dipstick its still perfect and no shinybits that i can see. But I think you just convinced me to doing a quick change anyways!
Old 05-14-2016, 12:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Redbull87
Thats quite a color change in oil though which leads me to believe alot more is at play there. Judging from the oil on my dipstick its still perfect and no shinybits that i can see. But I think you just convinced me to doing a quick change anyways!
My dipstick appeared clean as well.......however after further investigation.

Nothing else is going on here, it's a 20k mile garage queen with a cam, converter, intake, exhaust.

Matter of fact just for reference here are the rockers removed from the motor lastnight
Old 05-14-2016, 02:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Default Straub Bushing Trunion Kits?

Originally Posted by joecar

I ran a file across the Comp trunion bearing surfaces, it hardly scratches at all, so the surface is hardened... I wonder how deep.

Originally Posted by joyridin'
There is a lot more to this than just the heat treating. I bought a set from Summit and the surface finish where the bearing rides was pathetic. We checked it on a Profilometer and in was around 20 Ra. It should be around 8-10 Ra. With that bad of a finish (it was not even ground), it will not take long for the rollers to pick up material and destroy the rollers, which looks like the issue with the pictures above.

I can have the material checked for hardness and run a metal analyzer on the material next week. It will tell you everything. My guess is it is something close to 4140 and about 50 Rc. They should be 52100 bearing steel and about 60 Rc, but that would double the price.
I agree with you, I look forward to your findings (my only test tool is a set of files).

Last edited by joecar; 05-14-2016 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just happen to have a ME for a son that is a automotive ME at NMSU. He is going to look over this thread, and asked me if anyone would be willing to donate a few faded examples to run through his lab.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

ME here. Like I stated earlier I sent 2 trunions from a low mile previous project to a well known lab for analysis. As far as RA finish of 20 goes on the bearing surface, one must remember RA shows average peaks and valley's.

I had .0006" - .00085" press between used rocker bores and bushing OD. Which is sufficient for this application.

These were measured on a microview cnc vision system, backed up with a master calibration set of disc micrometers.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jontall
Are you saying that there is a problem with the Straub bushings too?
Jon

This is the oil that was drained from my engine this morning after installing the Straub bushing trunions. Ten minutes of runtime. The sun makes the oil appear worse than what it is. But if you can zoom in on the photos the small particles can be seen throughout the drained oil.
Old 05-14-2016, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by brobinson216
Jon

This is the oil that was drained from my engine this morning after installing the Straub bushing trunions. Ten minutes of runtime. The sun makes the oil appear worse than what it is. But if you can zoom in on the photos the small particles can be seen throughout the drained oil.
It's full of what appears to be bronze particles... Are you going to disassemble one for inspection? Those particles might damage the oil pump and the bearings.
Old 05-14-2016, 04:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jontall
It's full of what appears to be bronze particles... Are you going to disassemble one for inspection? Those particles might damage the oil pump and the bearings.
Correct it sure is.

Not sure what to do at this point.......still pondering.

Quick Reply: Straub Bushing Trunion Kits?