Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Trans Am radio antenna issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trans Am radio antenna issue

I installed a amplified hidden antenna on my back window and its not getting much frequency. The instructions where pretty simply, plug into stock antenna wire and connect 12 volt power source which i did to the stock antenna orange wire. Frequency comes in and out i was reading to make a better radio ground you guys think that could work? And how would i go about doing this? Thanks guys

Old 06-12-2016, 04:15 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 277 Likes on 241 Posts

Your symptoms sound like the antenna isn't working properly. That orange wire is constant (battery) power through the RADIO ACCY fuse. Are you sure you didn't blow the fuse during installation? Did you ground through the factory antenna's black wire?

In any case, it would be better to use the pink wire at the factory antenna because it is the same retained accessory power source as the head unit so it won't run down your battery when not in use.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

I just checked the fuse and it was good. I have 2 of the antennas and they do the same thing, so its not the antenna. I grounded the wire in the back to the body that was connected to the power antenna. Is that where it should be grounded?
Old 06-13-2016, 07:29 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

I would ground to the black wire in the same harness as you connected the power but it's easy enough to test your ground point with a multimeter.

The other thing to consider is that these "amplified" antennas are mostly marketing hype. They've been around since the '70s and in my experience they have never worked as promised. You might consider the Tune Trapper as described in this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...m-antenna.html (not good for AM reception)
Old 06-23-2016, 01:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

I've installed about a dozen of those little "black box" antennas.

Every single one has been absolute ****.

Any particular reason you went with the hidden antenna vs the factory one? Did you try any other mounting locations?
Old 06-23-2016, 08:03 AM
On The Tree

I dont like how the stock antenna looks when up, I have tried other locations and it didnt get any better.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:32 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Perhaps you might consider one of the "shark fin" antennas common on recent model vehicles. You could probably adapt the antenna from a current Camaro to fit the back of your roof. Painted body color, it's much less intrusive and would give the car an updated look while still providing OEM reception performance.
Old 06-24-2016, 01:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

What whitebird said is likely the best option. You could try a different glass mount antenna. They make one that has two arms that extend from either side of the antenna body. A little more noticeable but fm reception is usually pretty clear. Am is hit or miss.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:17 AM
On The Tree

Going to get what whitebird00 said for sure

Quick Reply: Trans Am radio antenna issue