Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

BlackandGold's project RECALLD Bought not Built

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 2JAWZ
I hope you didn't go crazy $$$ on the flooring. Its actually pretty simple to do for a few hundred dollars depending on square feet**
It was about $4/sqft I priced out the materials I wanted and it would have ended up costing about $2.50/sqft to do my self. And by having a pro do it I didn't have to hassle with the concrete grinder.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Got the front junk pulled off and dropped off my uppers for some moogey goodness:

On a side note I have yet to go pick up my electric impact (if you saw my other thread) and this is a pain with hand tools, how did high school me do it?
Old 06-29-2016, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Shocks and control arms must've shown up after I went home yesterday! Hopefully the shop doing my fresh moog bushings in my UCAs will be done and I can get almost everything installed tonight!

Old 06-29-2016, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well everything is in:

Unfortunately I need longer bolts for for the front shocks and boxed lower control arms. Swinging by the fastener store tomorrow before work so hopefully the car will be buttoned up this holiday weekend!
Old 07-04-2016, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Finally ready for an alignment and fresh rubber! Hoping I can sneak in the alignment shop first thing in the AM. Probably going to need to pick up a heat gun as well and roll the rear fenders.

BlackandGold's project RECALLD Bought not Built-ksun4tv.jpg
Old 07-19-2016, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sits a lot better. The gap was pretty ugly.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Drewstein
That sits a lot better. The gap was pretty ugly.
Haha agreed, I did like the aggressive rake which is why I left a little one in there, but that 9" really jacked up the rear when I put it in.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 348 Likes on 261 Posts

how does she feel with the new coilovers?
Old 08-11-2016, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
how does she feel with the new coilovers?
It's a totally different car, I'm hoping for a test and tune down in Lincoln here soon, but as of now I've got it dialed in to feel pretty good on the street. I ended up having to play with the watts a little more than I expected, but much much much better.

As far as comparison, my first camaro a '94 v6 was on KYB adjustables and an eibach pro kit, this is much much much better than that. After that car I had a '00 v6 firebird on bilsteins and I think whatever spring rate BMR was running at the time, it's also much much much better than that car.

All in all if you need new shocks and springs anyways it's an amazing option, rear clearances are a little tight, but the install is straightforward and the combo just feels awesome around corners.

I should have everything up in the air this weekend to do a quick check of all my fasteners, I'm OCD like that, so I'll try to snap some pictures of everything installed.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:38 PM
TECH Veteran

^im currently running ridetech lvl 2's but the ecm started throwing fits before I got to run the car and dial it in. they use hypercoils springs as well, but not as high a weight. I was just curious as I think you are one of the first to run it so far. I had eibachs when the car was a v6 and then qa1's when I did the v8 swap. I loved the eibachs, but the qa1's were just not suited for a street car.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

^im currently running ridetech lvl 2's but the ecm started throwing fits before I got to run the car and dial it in. they use hypercoils springs as well, but not as high a weight. I was just curious as I think you are one of the first to run it so far. I had eibachs when the car was a v6 and then qa1's when I did the v8 swap. I loved the eibachs, but the qa1's were just not suited for a street car.
I think trackbird on here has them as well, and probably running them more than I do, the camaro doesn't come out all that much.

Before these were released I was torn between the ridetech lvl 2s and koni 4/4s with strano springs. But I was a little put off by the softer rates on the ridetechs. If you're more interested in turning I think the stiffer springs are the way to go.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:15 PM
TECH Veteran

I had that same hang up course it wasn't a blind purchase. I spoke with Josh several times as I have an iron block with my swap. Different spring rates are available if you want them, but with the shock they are using for theirs the heavier springs aren't as nessesary .for a full out competition setup sure but I think that 600lbs spring setup is a necessity for oil filled shocks as opposed to gas charged shocks. Sam putting his name on it is a big deal though and that shock is based around his input. I'm curious to see how customers take to it.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had that same hang up course it wasn't a blind purchase. I spoke with Josh several times as I have an iron block with my swap. Different spring rates are available if you want them, but with the shock they are using for theirs the heavier springs aren't as nessesary .for a full out competition setup sure but I think that 600lbs spring setup is a necessity for oil filled shocks as opposed to gas charged shocks. Sam putting his name on it is a big deal though and that shock is based around his input. I'm curious to see how customers take to it.
For sure, and as much as I hate to admit it I'm a bit of a strano fan boy, the man gets it right and is extremely honest with his opinions on gear.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Got mine as well and will have them on this weekend if no other parts need to be replaced. Wondering if you did the rear shocks with the spring up or down and how the access to the adjustments are while on the car.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Crf450r420
Got mine as well and will have them on this weekend if no other parts need to be replaced. Wondering if you did the rear shocks with the spring up or down and how the access to the adjustments are while on the car.
I was forced to do the spring up for clearance reasons which makes it a challenge to get to the adjuster.
Old 09-17-2016, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the insight. I'll probably do the rear tomorrow.

I got my front apart. I have decided to blast and powder coat my upper control arms and mounting brackets. Some rust, old ball joint, and energy suspension bushings laying in a box, makes now the the time.

I'm wondering on the shock adapters. The directions seem odd to me and the email to UMI didn't get a reply. Also, tried to call Strano yesterday, but they must be at a race. Does that 1/4" thick washer they say may need trimming to get right fill in the gap so the bracket and top washer don't distort or is the trimming to get the lower bracket in contact with it and the bracket equally to spread the loads over more surface area?
Old 11-27-2016, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Down for the winter again, focusing on the Jeep for now, but I have a few plans for the Camaro.

Old 11-28-2016, 06:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just found this thread. Nice work, the car looks amazing! Getting it done while moving twice and changing jobs, house shopping and all....that's quite a feat. I really like the car.

Originally Posted by blackandgold
I think trackbird on here has them as well, and probably running them more than I do, the camaro doesn't come out all that much.
I'm a little late to this one, the UMI/Strano coil overs are great (I think I have about 3,000 miles on them...give or take). I've run Koni DA's and Bilstiens (and Koni SA's on a 3rd gen, and other stuff) and this kit is as good or better than any of them. The coil overs seem to have a larger piston (monotube) and they seem to have much better "low speed" damping (damping body roll and "slow" things, this isn't "hitting bumps in the road") so the steering response is great and they don't beat you up. The ride is pleasant without the harshness you get with some setups.

I'm hoping to get out to a few autocrosses in the spring. I haven't run an event in years, but this car is at least as good as the 2002 I used to win my class in 2005.

What's next for your car?
Old 11-28-2016, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by trackbird
I just found this thread. Nice work, the car looks amazing! Getting it done while moving twice and changing jobs, house shopping and all....that's quite a feat. I really like the car.

I'm a little late to this one, the UMI/Strano coil overs are great (I think I have about 3,000 miles on them...give or take). I've run Koni DA's and Bilstiens (and Koni SA's on a 3rd gen, and other stuff) and this kit is as good or better than any of them. The coil overs seem to have a larger piston (monotube) and they seem to have much better "low speed" damping (damping body roll and "slow" things, this isn't "hitting bumps in the road") so the steering response is great and they don't beat you up. The ride is pleasant without the harshness you get with some setups.

I'm hoping to get out to a few autocrosses in the spring. I haven't run an event in years, but this car is at least as good as the 2002 I used to win my class in 2005.

What's next for your car?
I really want to take a step back from performance and do the interior, headliner, seats, carpet, door panels and an audio update. I'm leaning towards 6ledesigns for the seats, but I'm not sure. After that I really need to do something to get some extra power under the hood, if I don't dump my tax refund into my stock portfolio I may do an LS3 with some light mods. I don't really want to run a turbo right now although a built LS1 + procharger would be really cool.

And thanks for the kind words, I'm super fortunate to have found an awesome job in an area with a low cost of living.
Old 12-10-2016, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

As far as spending time on my jeep goes, my wallet got about $5k lighter this week:

And the Camaro stays nice and toasty in the garage this winter.

Quick Reply: BlackandGold's project RECALLD Bought not Built