Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High end oil filters examined

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 06:56 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I think you're out of luck. Wix has high flow filters with the correct thread (13/16-16) but the diameter is too big. The "correct" filter is 2.9" in diameter. I suppose you could measure the filter pad or get one and see if it fits. It's too bad, the Wix racing filters are probably the highest flowing at 60 microns media.

Moroso has a "high flow" filter at 27 microns, # 22462.

Old 09-15-2016, 09:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
I think you're out of luck. Wix has high flow filters with the correct thread (13/16-16) but the diameter is too big. The "correct" filter is 2.9" in diameter. I suppose you could measure the filter pad or get one and see if it fits. It's too bad, the Wix racing filters are probably the highest flowing at 60 microns media.

Moroso has a "high flow" filter at 27 microns, # 22462.

Yep that's a bummer. I don't see a listing for the Fram HP filters. Looked at R2C and they don't have a listing either
Old 09-15-2016, 10:07 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by sillysspeed
for drag racing
You could get an aftermarket oil pan that has no oil filter pad. This eliminates those tiny passages the oil takes through the filter pad. You'll need external lines and a remote filter mount-and you can use any filter you want.

OR, keeping the stock pan, just an oil filter relocation kit.

What I did:

Old 09-16-2016, 09:17 AM
TECH Resident

That's a nice setup Paul! On my next engine I will probably go with a remote setup. For now I'm gonna give the moroso filter a try along with Eneos oil.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:32 PM
Teching In

Default Change intervals don't matter with racing filters...

Originally Posted by sillysspeed
Does anyone have the part # for Wix racing oil filter for LS1? Did a couple searches with no luck? I'm looking for the highest flowing filter possible for drag racing. I know I need to change it often
Please note that racing filters of ANY type are built for minimum-restriction - meaning their micron size is much wider than a street filter. It passes big particles from the very start. This applies to all filters using a "flow-through" media.

It matters little how often you change your oil and filter. Racing filters are designed for engines that only have to survive a limited amount of time / miles between total rebuilds - NOT oil changes.

If you are a big NASCAR team (or equivalent) that routinely rebuilds their engines after every race - a racing filter is fine. If you are a privateer or small team that does not automatically rebuild, then I would not recommend a racing filter.

As a point of note, I have seen privateer outlaw racing teams that use standard WIX street filters with absolutely no problems or complaints.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:30 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Welcome to LS1tech!

Originally Posted by damec70
Please note that racing filters of ANY type are built for minimum-restriction - meaning their micron size is much wider than a street filter. It passes big particles from the very start.
Yes, this is correct and has been discussed many times here.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:47 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by damec70
Please note that racing filters of ANY type are built for minimum-restriction - meaning their micron size is much wider than a street filter. It passes big particles from the very start. This applies to all filters using a "flow-through" media.

It matters little how often you change your oil and filter. Racing filters are designed for engines that only have to survive a limited amount of time / miles between total rebuilds - NOT oil changes.

If you are a big NASCAR team (or equivalent) that routinely rebuilds their engines after every race - a racing filter is fine. If you are a privateer or small team that does not automatically rebuild, then I would not recommend a racing filter.

As a point of note, I have seen privateer outlaw racing teams that use standard WIX street filters with absolutely no problems or complaints.

Thanks for the feedback and welcome. While I don't agree with everything you stated I do appreciate your input.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:28 PM
Teching In

Straight from Wix Tech line: "Don't run the XP unless you do a bunch of start stop. The regular Wix filter does a better job on filtration"

CC'ed from Bob is the oil guy:

Hummm ... WIX XP shows "Beta Ratio: B2=20" for the XP.

That pretty much sucks, as that equates to: "50% efficient @ 20 microns".

The non-synthetic 51516 shows "Beta Ratio: 2/20=6/20".

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Par...spx?Part=51516

That equates to:
"50% efficient @ 6 microns"
and
"95% efficient @ 20 microns".

B = Beta Ratio

(B-1)/B X 100 = Efficiency %

Beta Ratio --- Efficiency %
2 --- 50.00
5 --- 80.00
10 --- 90.00
15 --- 93.33
20 --- 95.00
25 --- 96.00
30 --- 96.67
40 --- 97.50
50 --- 98.00
75 --- 98.67
100 --- 99.00
125 --- 99.20
250 --- 99.60
500 --- 99.80
750 --- 99.87
1000 --- 99.90

I will be putting standard Wix on mine.

Last edited by Blackhatch; 09-23-2016 at 07:04 AM.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:38 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Blackhatch
"Don't run the (Wix) XP unless you do a bunch of start stop.
huh. As they're all similar in design and components, I suppose this would apply to all the filters noted in post #1 here?

Originally Posted by Blackhatch
I will be putting standard Wix on mine.
Well that's a pretty good choice!

I will continue to choose the Wix XP for all my vehicles.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:04 AM
Teching In

huh. As they're all similar in design and components, I suppose this would apply to all the filters noted in post #1 here?

Well that's a pretty good choice!

I will continue to choose the Wix XP for all my vehicles.
They are virtually identical. The XP filter is the same filter body and components with a synthetic media vs. a more traditional cellulose media.

The statement from the tech line resource at Wix (this is also echoed in the data above) is that the XP is a better filter if you are doing a bunch of short trips and start stop.

The fact that the standard Wix has a better filtration and capture rate means that it will keep the oil cleaner as a comparison.

Both are good filters, but if you aren't doing a bunch of stop and start driving...you are just spending more money than you need to.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:08 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Actually, my DD truck does do a lot of stop & start, from sitting in hours of traffic every day to re-starting as much as 35 times a day when I'm busy.

What do the makers of the other filters say?
Old 04-16-2017, 08:48 PM
Teching In

Ever since I first learned the cheap Fram used cardboard about 10 years ago, I only ever run Wix when I can find them, and that is usually the XP. Glad to know it is on the upper end of your comparison!
Old 04-29-2017, 11:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know FRAM is the least talked about, but their HP series(Racing) seems to be a better quality built as opposed to their normal, Walmart's shelf PH series oil filters. FRAM HP4 is a one of their racing filters(Not available at local Walmart). A lot of engine builders and racers swears by them.

Last edited by BOLO; 04-30-2017 at 01:24 AM.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know WIX oil filters down to about 10 microns, their racing filters, 61 microns.

Moroso Racing filters are at 27 microns.

If I had a track only engine that might see an oil change after a weekend of racing, I'd probably go for the highest micron rating I could find to keep the flow rate up. No need for 10~20 micron filtering of oil that's used for a weekend, not 3 months/3,000 miles.
I believe the Fram HP4 filter are @ 18 micron.FYI.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Man, don't know how I stumbled across this forum but thought I'd share my bad run of oil filters lately. First my 01 Camaro has a built 408 stroker and was in a local shop getting a couple things looked at so thought hey please change the oil. So supposedly was filled with Mobil One and a new filter. Well started to notice an oil leak and was bad enough that I was praying it wasn't the rear main seal. Put my Camaro on my fathers lift and filter was a tad loose. So wiped up oil from filter and tightened a bit more thought cool fixed. Well no leaked still, so threw it back up onto his lift again and looked at filter as it was the source and wet again. So thought about it and my dad asked me if maybe the filter was wrong so ran number and it came back as a no brand filter that only Amazon and eBay carry for $1.25. Changed filter to a good Napa and everything fixed, fingers crossed.

So my second recent oil filter episode was for my 2017 Ram Rebel. Had wally world change it as it was a last minute road trip so they put a Fram filter on that leaked almost half quart. Come to find out the Fram filter is a relabeled for Wal-Mart's basically it's a supertech oil filter. Went into Wal-Mart they wee good about it and topped off my oil and put a Mobil One on plus next synthetic oil change is free. Oil leaked stopped and might be crazy but my oil pressure was dropping down to 29 at a hot idle on the cheap filter but now hovers at 32 with Mobil One.

So man I'm getting my *** kicked with oil filters lately but it's a great reminder of something that can and is easily overlooked by many.

So I ask what are the Top 3 Daily Driver Oil filters?
And what are the Top 3 Race only Oil Filters?
Old 05-11-2017, 07:27 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

You should be fine using a Mobil1, Wix of Hastings filter. Bosch filters are OK too.

The only true "racing" filter that I know of (that has a very high micron rating) is from Wix. It's rated at 60 microns which allows higher oil flow. Replace it after a weekend of racing. The Moroso racing filters are 27 microns.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

ttt

Just to bump this thread instead of making a new one. I'm about to do an oil change and decided to use a Fram Ultra Synthetic filter. Since owning my LS1 I've used the longer truck versions filters from Mobil 1, ACDelco, RP, WIX, WIX XP on it. I had no issues with any of them other than the ACDelco. I mean it worked but was a cheap filter and I could look at it and tell why. No anti-drain back valve, etc. Let's just say I did make it to 3000 miles with that filter because I just didn't feel comfortable with it. In reality it probably would of gone 3000 miles and been fine, but I just didn't like it so I got rid of it. For a while I was using RP but they've been going up and up in price so now I usually use a WIX XP.

Still like many since Fram was exposed for cheaping out on their orange filters construction I have moved away from using Fram oil filters so for probably 10-12 years I've not used a Fram filter. I can't lie though since reading about the modern filters I'm just really liking what I'm seeing with the Fram Ultra Synthetic filter. It's a very robust feeling filter that seems to use very quality components that would appear to hold up very well and seeing that it's rated for 20k miles it should. It also seems to be a filter that will do a good job filtering but also flow very well.

I haven't used it yet but looking at it I feel very confident that I will do well. Again it feels very well constructed, and loooks to be a very quality filter. IMO Fram shot themselves in the foot when the Fram orange filter got to be the most popular oil filter and then they cheapened out on it construction and tried to sell you on it with things like the grip material on the end of it. When automotive enthusiasts caught wind of this most gave Fram the middle finger. And you know what it was probably deserved. They shouldn't have cheapened out on a product once it got popular. Still I don't feel that Fram filters are just bad filters, it's just that Fram budgeted on the construction of their orange filter. IMHO Fram is very capable and does produce some very good, quality filters. Like others have pointed out in this thread their Race filter has a very good reputation, and I just really like what I've seen online about this Ultra Synthetic filter. For these reasons plus it's a little cheaper than a WIX XP I have decided to give Fram another shot with their Ultra Synthetic filter. Again it looks to be a very well made filter. The back piece that threads onto the motor that the oil flows in and out of looks better IMO than any other one I've seen on any filter. It is a very thick and strong piece that looks to flow a lot of oil. BTW it's also made in the USA which I also like.

Old 11-04-2018, 07:57 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Hastings LF613 for gen IV
Hastings LF487 for gen III

Very well made filters, I recommend
Old 02-08-2019, 09:27 PM
Teching In

After I first noticed this thread I exclusively moved to Wix on my Honda, Toyota and Pontiac Vibe (Toyota-ish). I will also be using the Wix or Hastings on my 5.3 project in the garage. It's going in a 72 Cutlass (at this point.. could change) with mild warming.
I greatly appreciate forums for the wealth of information. Besides oil filters, I've learned so much about cams (going with an LS6 cam), heads (probably 243's), intakes (TBSS) and coil packs here. Thanks! John
Old 02-09-2019, 12:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,110 Likes on 2,425 Posts

Originally Posted by GammaFlat
I greatly appreciate forums for the wealth of information. Besides oil filters, I've learned so much about cams (going with an LS6 cam), heads (probably 243's), intakes (TBSS) and coil packs here. Thanks! John
The LS6 cam works well- on 5.7L LS6's. They don't work so well on 5.3's. You will lose a lot of low and midrange power. Somehow the 5.3 doesn't respond to that cam like the 5.7 LS6 does. Ask someone who has done it. A drop-in or high lift version of a truck cam by TSP or Cam Motion will do that engine a world of good.

Quick Reply: High end oil filters examined