Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker 1st-gen F-body/3rd-gen X-body LT Swap Preview Thead

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 12:45 PM
Banned

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts
Default New Hooker 1st-gen F-body/3rd-gen X-body LT Swap Preview Thead

The final fitment check of the coming new Hooker 1st-gen F-body/3rd-gen X-body engine swap brackets and long-tube headers was carried out this morning, which means I'm far enough along in this project to start a thread about these components to enable the sharing of fitment information related to their use. I will start this thread with some photos and a few key points that should be known about these new components:

1.) The crankshaft centerline and engine bellhousing mating plane are in the identical location as used in the Holley LS swap system, so the same Hooker transmission crossmembers and full exhaust systems used for an LS swap application can be used to complete an LT swap.

2.) These components are designed for use with the coming new Holley LT oil pan, which emulates the exterior fitment envelope provided by the Holley 302-2 pan in LS swap applications.

3.) The right side valve cover interferes with the outlet nipples of the stock small block heater core, so a big block heater core will need to be used in this application.

Old 10-21-2016, 03:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Are the LT header flanges the same bolt pattern as the LS platform?

T,
Old 10-21-2016, 03:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TomM
Are the LT header flanges the same bolt pattern as the LS platform?

T,
Hello Tom. No, the bolt patterns are completely different between the two engine families. Also, the exhaust ports on the LT engines are shifted 3/4" further towards the front of the car on the driver side of the engine and 3/4" further towards the rear of the car on the passenger side of the engine. The mill angle of the exhaust manifold mating surface of the heads is also drastically different on the LT engine.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 600 Likes on 476 Posts

WOW. I'm so glad Holley has started on the LT swap stuff.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
WOW. I'm so glad Holley has started on the LT swap stuff.
Thanks Jimbo. It's going to be a lot of work, to get all the applications done that we want to do, but we're in it for the long haul.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very cool how you guys develop swap parts at the rate you do.

I do see that your test fit car has a later style steering box. Depending on how close the header is it could be a concern for people running a factory style box which is a bit bigger.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by alocker
Very cool how you guys develop swap parts at the rate you do.

I do see that your test fit car has a later style steering box. Depending on how close the header is it could be a concern for people running a factory style box which is a bit bigger.
Hello alocker. Yes, this car was equipped with a 600 series steering box, but the tube bend geometry was indeed modeled to clear the stock Saginaw power steering box just as our LS headers do. I''m post up a close-up of the clearance in that area on Monday so you guys can get a better look at it.
Old 10-22-2016, 11:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddoky
Hello Tom. No, the bolt patterns are completely different between the two engine families. Also, the exhaust ports on the LT engines are shifted 3/4" further towards the front of the car on the driver side of the engine and 3/4" further towards the rear of the car on the passenger side of the engine. The mill angle of the exhaust manifold mating surface of the heads is also drastically different on the LT engine.
Great, thank you for answering the question. So when are you guys going to do a first and second gen Nova?

T,
Old 10-22-2016, 12:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TomM
Great, thank you for answering the question. So when are you guys going to do a first and second gen Nova?

T,
There is nothing on the schedule planned for those applications at this point in time, but I have mentioned them to management in the past and will be sure to do so again.

Quick Reply: New Hooker 1st-gen F-body/3rd-gen X-body LT Swap Preview Thead