Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Th400 forward drum inner seal

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 01:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Th400 forward drum inner seal

Ok, so I've been trying to seat this piston in the forward drum off and on for a few days now. It's just not working out. So, my question is...is the inner seal necessary? I ask for a couple of reasons, one is..I know that the one on the direct drum isn't needed, as it only means a harsher engagement. Just wondering if the same is true for the forward drum. I'm sick of fighting it. Btw, I've tried the rubber band freezer method....lube...all of it.
Old 12-26-2016, 05:02 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

You are using an aluminum piston right? Inner seal lip side up?

I've never had a problem with the inner seal. Did you match up the number on it with the old one?

Try installing the piston with only one seal at a time, maybe it's not the inner giving you a problem?

Last edited by Jays_SSZ28; 12-26-2016 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:32 PM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

I agree, I have never had a problem installing one. Leaving out the inner seal will make for a harsh forward engagement. The lip goes upward as stated.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Jays_SSZ28
You are using an aluminum piston right? Inner seal lip side up? And this may very well be the problem. I installed the seal lip down like the inner and outer on the piston.

I've never had a problem with the inner seal. Did you match up the number on it with the old one? And here's another mistake I've made, searched the garage, but can't find it. I think me having it upside down might be the issue.

Try installing the piston with only one seal at a time, maybe it's not the inner giving you a problem?
Originally Posted by PBA
I agree, I have never had a problem installing one. Leaving out the inner seal will make for a harsh forward engagement. The lip goes upward as stated.
Thanks, will be trying it installed the right way when I get home tomorrow.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Jays_SSZ28
You are using an aluminum piston right? Inner seal lip side up?

I've never had a problem with the inner seal. Did you match up the number on it with the old one?

It's amazing how easy the piston fell into place with the drum seal facing the right direction......yea, I had it in backwards.

Quick Reply: Th400 forward drum inner seal