LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

My 1995 Camaro Z28 Build Thread (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 05:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I now have about 40K miles since the rebuild. I've added Founders Performance 3 piece poly joint non-adjustable LCA's. Since rebuild I've been through 2 sets of Howards 98215 springs (now running Lunati Duals), 1 Opti (and I had to fixed the replacement I got too; see pics below), 2 single disc clutches (now running a McLeod Street Twin, which had to get rebuilt under warranty and damaged my input shaft), 3 Alternators, 1 water pump, 2 A/C compressors (or was it 3??), and a power steering unit. All the accessory failures pushed me to an under drive crank pulley (no more accessory issues, finger crossed). I've also had to replace my crank hub seal and put a sleeve on the crank hub.

Let's just say that the horrible reliability of the LT1, especially when modified, is justified. LOL.

I've continued to work the body over and am now really close. My brother moved from Hawaii to AZ and he's an Auto body guy, so the car is now down to the finishing touches body work wise.

I've also got the seats reskined. A buddy of mine owns an aircraft interior business and has a 1993 Vette that he bought all messed up, it's been in 3 shops in 2 years and never ran. So he brought it to me to get her running again, which I did. So he re-did the seats in my Camaro with Lear Jet and Gulf Stream leather in exchange, score. I didn't get any pics of the back seats, but they are done and installed too. He also added more side bolstering to the front seats, they are way more comfortable and they hold me in place during hard cornering now too.

Hopefully in the next 6 months I'll have it repainted. One day the car will look as good as it drives!

Also, my replacement Opti was a Cardone Gold unit from O'Reilly Auto Parts. Turns out it comes with the Mitsubishi sensor. At least this one did. Got lucky there. The one I had go bad was a Mitsubishi sensor too, but it lasted quite a while. When the Cardone failed, it turns out the roll pin that keeps alignment had fallen out. I realigned everything and loctited the roll pin back in and haven't had any issues with it since (fingers crossed).

The alignment dowel pin fell out and let the disc spin out of timing from the cam drive hub.

Last edited by hrcslam; 12-31-2016 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You did a good job repairing that quarter panel. How much time did you have to spend working on that. What was causing your alternators and AC compressors to go bad.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Fast350Z
You did a good job repairing that quarter panel. How much time did you have to spend working on that. What was causing your alternators and AC compressors to go bad.
Thanks, took me a couple years. Lol. It's my daily so finding time to work on it was the what took so long. But I easily put 40hrs of work into the 1/4.

I think I was over revving the accessories. I rev to 6800 now, 1000 over stock. Once you figure in pulley ratios the accessories were a few thousand rpms too high than they were designed to be spun at.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is really high rpm for a daily driver. What color are you going to go with when you get it repainted.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:40 PM
TECH Addict

Stock was Black Onyx, so Black Onyx. Then I'll plasti-Dip it, looking at a satin gray/chrome look with black accents how it is now.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:39 PM
TECH Addict

Thread revival. Back in April of 2017 my camshaft broke, see here.

After a couple and a half years of almost builds and sitting in the background I finally got her running again. Sort of. I bought a donor car with a better body and swapped all the goodies over (I'm actually getting another one in a week with a blown up - threw a rod through the block- 383).

I'll be updating this thread over the next few weeks with everything that I've done to this point. But, long story short, she's running again with new pistons and billet cam. The first rebuild I did had metal shavings in my replacement crank from the crank grinder supplier (I know I should've made sure those oiling holes were clear), she ran for 20 seconds LOL. The second rebuild I did had my brand new timing chain stretch and push the exhaust valves into the head and break one of the valves off in the head and destroy my head and piston, she ran for a day. Third times the charm I guess.

Here's a short video of her idiling. Sounds like the header gasket is leaking.

More details to follow over the next few weeks.

Quick Reply: My 1995 Camaro Z28 Build Thread (pics)