Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker 4th-gen F-body Headers and Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 01:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What this system needs is a headers and exhaust combo discount price.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soloman369
Hey man I got a thread on this look it up you will find ur answers
Hey I saw your thread earlier. Not sure but is tunnel mount torque arm the same as stock torque arm (mounts to tailshaft) ? If so, it pretty much clears stock rear suspension?
Old 01-02-2017, 07:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Okay. I plan on going with TSP headers. There are so many Blackheart versions now. Which one would you guys suggest for a 93 Z28 LS swapped car? I read that I will have to notch a floor crossmember also. I might find a way to possibly do electric cut outs in the future also.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Cutouts?

Has anyone considered putting cutouts after either the mid or new LT headers? Since the collectors are 3" it seems you could extend that to a pair of 3" electric cutouts which should offer good performance for racing and you could close em up to be quieter for cruising.
Old 03-04-2017, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After having a bunch of issues with aftermarket headers on my 2nd gen F-Body, this exhaust with the mid-length header looks to be a great system for 4th gen guys. I'm sure in a supercharged application, it would easily make big power. I'm interested in running this system but have to wait until I have the coin for it as I'm building my '79 T/A.

Most on this thread probably don't know what a Tri-Y header is but that would probably be the best header for this exhaust. This type of header is very sought after for traditional Pontiac engine cars. It would be cool to see Hooker ditch the "mid-length" and "long-tube" and blow everyone's mind with a Tri-Y on this setup. I'm sure some brains would be rattled and lost in Kooks land on this thread haha
Old 03-04-2017, 03:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by F-Body International
After having a bunch of issues with aftermarket headers on my 2nd gen F-Body, this exhaust with the mid-length header looks to be a great system for 4th gen guys. I'm sure in a supercharged application, it would easily make big power. You I'm interested in running this system but have to wait until I have the coin for it as I'm lbuilding my '79 T/A.

Most on this thread probably don't know what a Tri-Y header is but that would probably be the best header for this exhaust. This type of header is very sought after for traditional Pontiac engine cars. It would be cool to see Hooker ditch the "mid-length" and "long-tube" and blow everyone's mind with a Tri-Y on this setup. I'm sure some brains would be rattled and lost in Kooks land on this thread haha
Although the suitability of Tri-Y headers on many applications isn't lost to us on the Hooker development team, we are also cognizant of the fact that you will go broke as a company trying to sell them, since they are seen as an odd-duck by typical enthusiasts and cost much more to produce than standard 4 into 1 long-tube headers. I've worked for two well known exhaust companies over the last 20 years designing headers and exhaust systems and can provide first-hand testament to the fact that Tri-Y headers are sold in low volumes.
Old 03-04-2017, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddoky
Although the suitability of Tri-Y headers on many applications isn't lost to us on the Hooker development team, we are also cognizant of the fact that you will go broke as a company trying to sell them, since they are seen as an odd-duck by typical enthusiasts and cost much more to produce than standard 4 into 1 long-tube headers. I've worked for two well known exhaust companies over the last 20 years designing headers and exhaust systems and can provide first-hand testament to the fact that Tri-Y headers are sold in low volumes.

I agree with you that Tri-Y headers are not money-makers due to the complexity. They are, however, known for great exhaust scavenging and ground clearance. If cost weren't as much of a barrier for Hooker to sell, I believe this style would be the best header design for the Blackheart series exhaust systems. Tri-Y's would probably lay the "long vs mid vs shorty debaters" to rest.

On a side story that highlights your point...someone who was in recent years making Tri-Y headers for early Pontiac engines, ended up shafting a lot of people by taking their money and not delivering. Some would get their orders after long periods of time (1 year+) and others not.

I remember a friend of mine who got an exhaust installed on his LS1 Camaro 5+ years ago and I was thinking how terrible it looked seeing his new exhaust hanging way low. I'm not sure what other brand system he had but it looked like a bunch of problems waiting to happen while hanging under the car.

With regards to this Hooker Blackheart system, it looks like it defeats that whole issue I was seeing with my friends Camaro. It has my attention for the ground clearance, merged x-pipe, stainless material, dual 2.5" exhaust and straight-through muffler design. I daily drive my '98 Trans Am so that stuff is more important to me than how much power it makes on the dyno. Hopefully I can gather up the funds to go this route. With my '79 still in project mode, this exhaust is a tire-kicker for me right now.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:27 PM
TECH Junkie

You won't get an argument from me on the performance/ground clearance combination they provide; I've designed and built a few of them in my career that produced great results. Unfortunately, neither of them sold in any great quantities, so I'll never be a big proponent of Tri-Y's from a business perspective that provides for a ROI. If you are interested in a dual exhaust system that provides a deliberate optimized balance between performance, sound and maximized ground clearance, I think you'll be wholly satisfied by the Hooker Blackheart dual set-up. It will provide those benefits following the initial installation, which means you won't have to fuss with adding/trying different mufflers and/or resonators after-purchase due to the system being louder than you can tolerate, or spending multiple hours of time trying to resolve ground clearance issues that come with other systems. Buy,install,drive it like you stole it, enjoy...it doesn't get any easier.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:48 PM
TECH Junkie

A few members have sent me PM's over the last week asking about the ground clearance of the Hooker Blackheart dual exhaust system, so I thought I'd post a couple of the more recent photos I've come across online that depict that well. In order to achieve such ground clearance, the placement of system bends and connections needs to be very deliberate and you have to route the tubes down the tunnel; if they are routed under the right rear seat bucket in the floor, you will have poor ground clearance for use on lowered cars. The Hooker system is the only one currently available that does not route the tubes under the seat bucket.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Toddoky
Thanks for testifying how easy it is to adapt the Hooker duals to a typical set of long-tube headers...some guys act as though that process hasn't been carried out on a regular basis for the last 50 years.
Here is how easy it is to adapt to long tubes...these are tsp....used the front pieces from the kit that would normally go up to the mid length collectors....little bit of cutting and welding and no extra pieces needed..easy...

Old 03-08-2017, 12:09 PM
TECH Junkie

There you go, doesn't look like too much involved to get it done. Is this a recent install for you on your car?
Old 03-08-2017, 01:37 PM
Staging Lane

Installed yesterday on my car.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Great, glad to have you on board as a Hooker Blackheart user. I hope you get lots of use out of it.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

beautiful system! I read the first couples pages of the thread then skipped to the back...I think it's perfect for someone who wants a clean overall car, not the long tubes with cut outs, loud as hell crowd. If that makes sense...
Old 03-08-2017, 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

The car has tsp long tubes.....Ive had the 3" y-pipe/magnaflow catback combo which wasnt bad but decent......then I tried the speed engineering 3" true duals for less than a week.....that is a true complete failure as far as fitment and noise but especially the person you have to deal with if you need ANY kind of support....so I got this and am completely happy with it...fits right..sounds right as in not ear bleeding noise...and the people at support are awesome also...I had a problem with one of the pipes and I had another one on my hand the next day....Thats what I call support and taking care of the customer....
Old 03-08-2017, 03:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Cahill93Z28
beautiful system! I read the first couples pages of the thread then skipped to the back...I think it's perfect for someone who wants a clean overall car, not the long tubes with cut outs, loud as hell crowd. If that makes sense...
Makes perfect sense and describes the intended user quite well.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by pressureprows6
The car has tsp long tubes.....Ive had the 3" y-pipe/magnaflow catback combo which wasnt bad but decent......then I tried the speed engineering 3" true duals for less than a week.....that is a true complete failure as far as fitment and noise but especially the person you have to deal with if you need ANY kind of support....so I got this and am completely happy with it...fits right..sounds right as in not ear bleeding noise...and the people at support are awesome also...I had a problem with one of the pipes and I had another one on my hand the next day....Thats what I call support and taking care of the customer....
I appreciate you leaving your feedback as you've been through multiple systems and are able to make a first-hand objective assessment that will certainly benefit others who may come across this thread. I'm glad the effort that I put forward to achieve the ground clearance and sound/tonal qualities of the system was not lost on you.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pressureprows6
Installed yesterday on my car.
Looks great. I've installed this system on two cars now between myself and a friend of mine. I've been completely satisfied with the fit, finish, and sound each time. I've helped several people adapt theirs to long tubes and cats as well. There doesn't seem to be a bad combo with this setup. Would buy again in a heartbeat even with the other options that are out now from other companies.

My only complain remains the tips. I have to figure out a way to get larger tips back there for my WS6. It just doesn't look right with such tiny openings after having quad 4" tips on a previous setup. It doesn't change my feelings or decisions however.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for checking in Rebel, I get where you are coming from. Tip appearance is certainly a very subjective characteristic and what looks good to one person can be disliked by others. Personally, I like exhaust tips on anything I drive to be slightly subdued so as to not be overly noticeable. I do think the TA and WS6 cars can get away with running bigger tips than the Camaro due to the cut-outs in the bumper; quad 4" tips under a Camaro bumper look overstated to me personally.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RebelExtrm02
My only complain remains the tips. I have to figure out a way to get larger tips back there for my WS6. It just doesn't look right with such tiny openings after having quad 4" tips on a previous setup. It doesn't change my feelings or decisions however.
I'm in the same boat. I went from a magnaflow system with the rolled quad tips so the new look leaves a lot to be desired. I've been searching everywhere for some offset rolled dual or oval tips to work with this system and fill up the openings on the trans am but haven't had any luck. Just wish there was an option for different tips. That's really my only complaint though

Quick Reply: New Hooker 4th-gen F-body Headers and Exhaust