Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Reverse Lockout Not Grounding?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 07:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Reverse Lockout Not Grounding?

Hey guys. I have tested my R. Solenoid off the car and it works when I provide power and ground. I know the solenoid is getting 12V at the connector/solenoid. So there is either a break in the wire between the solenoid and the Pcm or the PCM is not grounding the circuit when its supposed to.

My question is, if the wire is not broken or open, is there a easy way to fix the computer side of things or can only a tuner possibly fix that issue.

My last resort is to wire my own ground to the solenoid but I prefer not to add an ugly switch or drill a hole in the center console for a switch. Any advice?
Old 04-04-2017, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The lock out should only be triggered when the vehicle speed is over 5mph, under 5mph it should allow you to go into reverse.

On my a4-> M6 swap I could never get the bastard to work correctly. Even during tuning it would operate opposite of how I wanted it to work. So I just left it un plugged and put an extra spring in the base of the Hurst shifter
Old 04-05-2017, 06:55 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Moving to Manual Transmissions.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure you are using the reverse solenoid ( BLACK PLASTIC CONNECTOR END). It retracts a pin when it is activated. This should only happen below 5mph. The skip solenoid operates opposite : it extends a pin when activated. also, it has a white connector. These two solenoids look identical otherwise.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by calhoon
Make sure you are using the reverse solenoid ( BLACK PLASTIC CONNECTOR END). It retracts a pin when it is activated. This should only happen below 5mph. The skip solenoid operates opposite : it extends a pin when activated. also, it has a white connector. These two solenoids look identical otherwise.

Im def using the right connector because it had green and pink wiring to it. I think I may just get a round switch and mount it inside that flip up cover.

Prettt crazy how much trouble a tiny solenoid can cause and the force you need when it is not cooperating. I can't wait to take a picture with my middle finger and the solenoid.

Quick Reply: Reverse Lockout Not Grounding?