Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

drive pressure with vsr billet 7875

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 06:10 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

I dont think the oil ring failed as such, it just got busted after the piston ringlands broke.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
I dont think the oil ring failed as such, it just got busted after the piston ringlands broke.
So why did the lower ring land break before the top one?

Andrew
Old 04-08-2017, 06:30 PM
9 Second Club

How can you tell which broke first ?

The engine could probably run for a very long time with the middle one broken, as the rings tend to support it better. But it just depends what way it breaks really.

I dont think anyone could definitively say which part of the piston broke first there.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
How can you tell which broke first ?

The engine could probably run for a very long time with the middle one broken, as the rings tend to support it better. But it just depends what way it breaks really.

I dont think anyone could definitively say which part of the piston broke first there.
I don't....I am trying to understand what happened here...If that's even possible...

Andrew
Old 04-08-2017, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the top and middle out and compare the gaps.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:38 PM
9 Second Club

More often than not, detonation breaks pistons like that, especially weak cast pistons.

Although you could maybe say 2nd ring gap was too tight and it seized a little and caused the ringlands to break.
Which is maybe plausible as the top ring land appears to be ok ? Are there signs of the ring ends butting ?

Problem is detonation can sometimes break stuff in the strangest ways. But OEM pistons are known to be very weak.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

yeah there is signs the top ring butted, i'll get a pic.

i did check ring gaps on a couple pistons here and there when I first slapped it together and they were like .030"-.028" on both the 1st and second ring!

caution-what follows not for the faint of heart it's a 260,000 mile sludge pig, 1/8" of sludge on every interior engine surface. drained the oil and put in 4 qts of ATF and drove it around for a while...then drained about 10 qts of nasty crude oil out! I dunked the pistons in berrymans and wire brushed them until they could move freely again.

if I had noticed it right away, shut it off and tore it down, maybe then I could have have a definite mode of failure analysis for andrew but the lab was closed that day so I drove it home haha

actually i didnt even notice it broke---in fact I made 4-5 more pulls, including one from a 60mph roll that broke the drag radials loose. only when my buddy saw a little puffing from the wheel well that we drove it home and took a peek.

would forged stuff lived through getting rattled like that? maybe, maybe not. but my days of spending money on forged internals is long over. for that kinda money I could put my retirement fund ahead a half year or better.

sometimes you get burnt when you play with fire. the only thing I am salty about is this

i wonder what cam I should try next?
Old 04-09-2017, 03:41 AM
9 Second Club

I'd find it hard to believe the rings butted with those gaps ?

Forged pistons can tolerate a lot more...but depends on the actual cause. But OEM pistons are not the strongest out there anyway.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

yes, me too. who knows what the gaps in this particular holes were...i didnt check them.

perhaps they were cracked prior to me ever having the motor?

Quick Reply: drive pressure with vsr billet 7875