Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Import Style Lugnuts

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 12:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Question Import Style Lugnuts

My wheels only have clearance for a thinwall socket, so I am using import style lugnuts at the moment. They work perfectly, except that they are chrome plated, and the chrome plating has started to flake off with rust taking its place after only a couple of years. They are the type you find at Autozone.

I am trying to find a stainless steel set, or maybe aluminum as long as they are closed end. I prefer chrome or silver. Factory threads are M12-1.5 with a standard depth. Any suggestions?

All I could find were these McGard stainless steel pieces. But they will cost $115 for a full set and I am not wild about the blue caps. The reviews for their other lugnuts are not that favorable either.

Old 06-09-2017, 02:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those are spline drive/tuner style lug nuts. You can find them at a local Les Schwab or online in a variety of finishes. 12x1.5 thread pitch. If you dont have one already, you will need the key that goes along with them.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:48 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the reply, but that doesn't really help me. I already have a set of splined/tuner style lugnuts on my car. My problem is that the chrome flakes off the steel ones, and then they rust. I don't want to deal with that anymore, so I am looking for ones made out of stainless steel--or possibly aluminum.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:10 PM
TECH Resident

I take that back, searching for "Tuner Style" instead of "Import Style" turned up these Gorilla lug nuts. They are aluminum, which hopefully will not strip out easily, but they should not rust, and they have good ratings. They are still $100, but given the choices, that seems like the best option.

Gorilla Small Diameter Lug Nuts 42133AL

Looks like they also have them in a titanium finish.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:15 PM
Teching In

I wouldn't trust aluminum lug nuts lol, & finding stainless steel or titanium ones would cost a pretty penny
Old 06-09-2017, 08:03 PM
Launching!

I work with tuner style lug nuts all day and have rarely, if ever, seen the style Les Schwab uses rust. I wouldn't trust the aluminum ones, too soft. Call up your local Les Schwab, if you have one, and get a price. They should go for about $2.50 - $3.00 per.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:18 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

get you some titanium ones from katech.

ive had the mcgard ones you have pictured except without the blue cap, and they were really good quality. i especially liked them because the beveled part that seats up against the wheel is actually a separate piece, so when you tighten them down they don't gall the wheel as you torque them.
Old 06-10-2017, 12:23 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks scj, good to know. They make the same lugnut from steel in chrome finish, which if yours came without the blue or red cap, is probably what you had. That two-piece design should also give much more accurate torque readings. Perhaps I will spring for the $115 set to avoid any issues with aluminum. Surprisingly, the Katech titanium nuts are only $140 for a full set--but they are open ended.

Quick Reply: Import Style Lugnuts