Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Return Hose/Alternator Interference....

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 03:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Power Steering Return Hose/Alternator Interference....

Soooooo..... I just put a LQ4 in my WS6, I get everything put together, and now for some reason the exciter wire stud is pressing into my power steering return hose, rubbing a hole in it. Ive replaced the hose 3 times and it always comes back 3-4 days later. I dont believe the Return hose fitting is factory, because it comes out of the rack about 2 inches and thats it. No bends or anything. Ive noticed that the Return hose is discontinued... So Im not too sure where to go with this. Being in AK, Parts cars are rare.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Maybe a strong braided rubber hose?

Is the exciter stud removable? I wouldnt be opposed to putting a short bolt in its place.

Its driving me nuts.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,156 Likes on 2,463 Posts

What about using the parts off the original engine? Like the accessory drive and all? You should be able to make the front of the LQ4 look like the front of an LS1, except for the hole in the block to drill and tap for the alternator.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:33 PM
Teching In

All of the accessories are from the LS. alternator hole was drilled and tapped. Everything fits perfectly, except for that issue. Lol
Old 08-01-2017, 05:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

OK, which parts are different? SOMETHING is different besides the engine, or everything would fit as it was with the LS1. Either the PS pump, alternator, or even just the return hose are different or there would not be an issue.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:12 PM
Teching In

Literally the only thing I changed was the bottom end. That's it. Not sure and don't care why it's an issue now, but it is. Just need to figure out a permanent fix. I'm debating on using the same reinforced hose that's on it now, and grabbing a hard plastic hose to slide over it and "protect" it.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Something got tweaked somewhere, or it was always that way but not noticed. You mentioned the return fitting on the rack. See if you can get something that shortens it and removes the interference point. Is rubbing point on the hose near the rack return fitting?
Old 08-01-2017, 05:30 PM
Teching In

The fitting is already really short. Just long enough for me to put a hose and clamp on. Problem is it comes straight out, and puts the hose right up against the exciter stud. I'm assuming it rubs together while driving and eventually makes its way through. The exciter stud is rubbing about an inch up the hose after the fitting.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your hoses must be bent to hell. My hoses run to the side and then below of the alternator. You have to fitness the hoses to fit the bigger truck alternator

Old 08-04-2017, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a bigger truck alternator on my car and there is no rubbing from the power steering lines... (after I massaged them to the side some more)

Quick Reply: Power Steering Return Hose/Alternator Interference....