Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Finally got the D1SC to the track...Like a walk in the park

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 08:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,740 Likes on 1,299 Posts

Default Finally got the D1SC to the track...Like a walk in the park

I've been waiting until some reasonable weather, at least for down south, to get here before taking the car to the track. It was still ~1300ft DA and like 75* out, but I'll take it. See linkBUILD THREAD for the setup. Basically:

Immaculate DD-able Pewter 2000 SS
Futral F13 cam
D1SC running 5-7 psi depending on belt slip
Yank 3600 converter
STOCK 4L60E
STOCK 10 bolt with TA girdle
STOCK bottomend

I am car number 9 in the left lane. Basically 11.2@122 on a stock rear and A4 trans with a 1.67 60' driving an hour to and from the track with A/C. The car is full weight, had 3/4 tank of gas, the blower kit and SFC's, so with me in it it's ~3800lbs. Based on my logs and comparing with online calculators its making about 550rwhp or about 700fwhp. The car was shifting at 6000 rpms and had 14 degrees of timing on 93 octane only so I think there's WAY more in it if I wanted to turn it up and break something lol.

When I say the car is DD-able, I mean the wife texted me last week that she was taking the car out to go shopping I've got some theories about how to keep the stock 4L60E alive based on how I've tuned it and I was looking to use the track to help support this, but I'll make a thread in the A4 section about that later.

A buddy was able to get a video of the pass. Other car in the right lane was a nasty nitrous camaro that would sixty foot hard and get out on me and then I'd reel him in. Cool guy though when we chatted briefly. There were a lot of nice cars out, and everything was boosted haha. My passes were very uneventful; I staged, stalled it to about 1000 rpms and slowly pressed the gas pedal down. No drama and stayed dead straight.

Vid is attached or watch on youtube-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErvP...ature=youtu.be

All in all was a good night. Did some tuning on another boosted Fbody on here to break it in. Both drove there, ran some passes, and drove home without a problem. Whenever you don't break its a good night.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_3930.MOV (4.09 MB, 81 views)

Last edited by ddnspider; 11-05-2017 at 06:18 AM.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:20 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Nice combination, you should easily be able to add several more degrees of timing without having to worry about detonation. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 11-05-2017, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Very nice results! You can definitely throw some more RPM at it too. But, yes it makes one wonder why you would spend the money on a max effort HCI build for a car you drive regularly.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:11 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome times for the small amount of boost man! Bump up the boost or rpm a little bit and you should have 10's! Or just through some better fuel in it and bump up the timing a little next time?

What I love about this is how simple it sounds like you did it! You can bolt a procharger on in a day or a weekend tops. Slap a tune on it and take it to the track.

With my c5z I installed the kit on a friday, tuned it saturday morning, drove it 4 hours to the track, ran it, then took it to the dyno and drove it home with zero issues...

This is pretty much exactly what I'm doing with my 5th gen. Want to keep it to were it can be daily driven easily. Just pieced my kit together with help from Bob at brutespeed.. I have a D1sc "kit" with cheap ebay intercooler.

I plan to have two tunes for it. My daily tune will have real low timing and lower shift points and then my race tune will be more aggressive and bump the rpm up to make more boost..
Old 11-05-2017, 10:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
I've been waiting until some reasonable weather, at least for down south, to get here before taking the car to the track. It was still ~1300ft DA and like 75* out, but I'll take it. See linkBUILD THREAD for the setup. Basically:

Immaculate DD-able Pewter 2000 SS
Futral F13 cam
D1SC running 5-7 psi depending on belt slip
Yank 3600 converter
STOCK 4L60E
STOCK 10 bolt with TA girdle
STOCK bottomend

I am car number 9 in the left lane. Basically 11.2@122 on a stock rear and A4 trans with a 1.67 60' driving an hour to and from the track with A/C. The car is full weight, had 3/4 tank of gas, the blower kit and SFC's, so with me in it it's ~3800lbs. Based on my logs and comparing with online calculators its making about 550rwhp or about 700fwhp. The car was shifting at 6000 rpms and had 14 degrees of timing on 93 octane only so I think there's WAY more in it if I wanted to turn it up and break something lol.

When I say the car is DD-able, I mean the wife texted me last week that she was taking the car out to go shopping I've got some theories about how to keep the stock 4L60E alive based on how I've tuned it and I was looking to use the track to help support this, but I'll make a thread in the A4 section about that later.

A buddy was able to get a video of the pass. Other car in the right lane was a nasty nitrous camaro that would sixty foot hard and get out on me and then I'd reel him in. Cool guy though when we chatted briefly. There were a lot of nice cars out, and everything was boosted haha. My passes were very uneventful; I staged, stalled it to about 1000 rpms and slowly pressed the gas pedal down. No drama and stayed dead straight.

Vid is attached or watch on youtube-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErvP...ature=youtu.be

All in all was a good night. Did some tuning on another boosted Fbody on here to break it in. Both drove there, ran some passes, and drove home without a problem. Whenever you don't break its a good night.
Absolutely agree about the part about driving it home after some fun at the track. I understand that you were being fairly easy on the car, to keep it together.... but it seems that 6k shifts is almost too safe (if there's ever such a thing lol). I know you are SBE... but still. Not meant to be critical, just curious about the short shifting. Car definitely has some more in it.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Great job spider! Very good results.

What did that mani pewter z28 have in it?
Old 11-05-2017, 11:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Congrats on the successful track adventure. I love these simple Procharger setups.
Base on your build, It looks like if someone was to run a stock LS1 cam, they would need to up the boost about 2psi to make up for the F13 cam and they would see very similar results.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Nice job! 6k rpm is just putting the tip in lol
Old 11-05-2017, 12:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

now that's a 10 sec driver with a little more boost and tune its going to be a beast! now tell us you had street tires on there too ;-) lmao drag radials make the DD so much fun!
Old 11-05-2017, 02:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea I had a 8 second zo6 my drove every day 7 years ago
Old 11-05-2017, 03:51 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
Nice combination, you should easily be able to add several more degrees of timing without having to worry about detonation. Bob
Thanks Bob. I was trying to get a reading on the plugs and think there wasn't enough timing in it to even burn a line on the ground strap lol.

Originally Posted by mOtOrHeAd MiKe
Very nice results! You can definitely throw some more RPM at it too. But, yes it makes one wonder why you would spend the money on a max effort HCI build for a car you drive regularly.
All about what you want to do. I've done the forged bottom end in another car and thought I'd see what this thing will do with a SBE.

Originally Posted by sweet99ss
Awesome times for the small amount of boost man! Bump up the boost or rpm a little bit and you should have 10's! Or just through some better fuel in it and bump up the timing a little next time?

What I love about this is how simple it sounds like you did it! You can bolt a procharger on in a day or a weekend tops. Slap a tune on it and take it to the track.

With my c5z I installed the kit on a friday, tuned it saturday morning, drove it 4 hours to the track, ran it, then took it to the dyno and drove it home with zero issues...

This is pretty much exactly what I'm doing with my 5th gen. Want to keep it to were it can be daily driven easily. Just pieced my kit together with help from Bob at brutespeed.. I have a D1sc "kit" with cheap ebay intercooler.

I plan to have two tunes for it. My daily tune will have real low timing and lower shift points and then my race tune will be more aggressive and bump the rpm up to make more boost..
I am very surprised at how linear the power is, which is probably why it hooked well at the track and still managed a decent 60'.

Originally Posted by Game ova
Absolutely agree about the part about driving it home after some fun at the track. I understand that you were being fairly easy on the car, to keep it together.... but it seems that 6k shifts is almost too safe (if there's ever such a thing lol). I know you are SBE... but still. Not meant to be critical, just curious about the short shifting. Car definitely has some more in it.
I have had trouble getting 1st to hook up on the street so didn't have a good feeling on whether or not the car would shift at the commanded RPM's. It's a bit funny now since it actually shifted the 1-2 at 5700 rpms and 2-3 at 6000, exactly where commanded. I'll move them up to at least the stock rev limiter since the cam is just making steam around that rpm. It all goes into my theory on how to keep the stock 4L60E alive.

Originally Posted by SoFla01SSLookinstok
Great job spider! Very good results.

What did that mani pewter z28 have in it?
Yeah man, FINALLY made some passes since its been so freaking hot still. My twin that was a stick car was clean. Looked like it had some stiff wall slicks on it and supposedly was an LS2 swapped car with a healthy cam. It was running to low 11's, but after the 1st couple passes I think they hurt something, at least thats what it sounded like back in the staging lane and then its mph was WAY down the next pass.

Originally Posted by 30th t/a
Congrats on the successful track adventure. I love these simple Procharger setups.
Base on your build, It looks like if someone was to run a stock LS1 cam, they would need to up the boost about 2psi to make up for the F13 cam and they would see very similar results.
Based on how large the cam is, and has a couple degrees of overlap, and that I'm running 1 7/8th headers, I think its more like 4 psi difference from other people I've seen running a 4 inch pulley on the D1SC.

Originally Posted by sxc Z28
Nice job! 6k rpm is just putting the tip in lol
Haha, thanks. Trying to keep the 10 bolt and 4l60e alive.

Originally Posted by Rudy72
now that's a 10 sec driver with a little more boost and tune its going to be a beast! now tell us you had street tires on there too ;-) lmao drag radials make the DD so much fun!
I did drive in the rain on the drag radials to get there, so not street tires, but not too shabby either LOL.

Originally Posted by 1500HP
Yea I had a 8 second zo6 my drove every day 7 years ago
Thats awesome, how well did it drive?
Old 11-05-2017, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

id say it was a pretty successful night for both of us! drive to the track, make a couple passes and drive home lol
Old 11-05-2017, 04:13 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm calling for 10.80-10.90 @125-126ish with some more RPM.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:42 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ls1charged
id say it was a pretty successful night for both of us! drive to the track, make a couple passes and drive home lol
Heck yeah, good times!
​​​​​​​
I'm calling for 10.80-10.90 @125-126ish with some more RPM.
Yeah it's probably got at least another couple of tenths in it, but I'm honestly happy with it where it is. I'll probably keep tweaking but I'm more about longevity and seeing the trans live. We need some hero DA to help lol.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Heck yeah, good times!
​​​​​​​

Yeah it's probably got at least another couple of tenths in it, but I'm honestly happy with it where it is. I'll probably keep tweaking but I'm more about longevity and seeing the trans live. We need some hero DA to help lol.
I'm interested to see your theories about extending a trannies life, seems it's heavily dependent on RPM. I'm all about learning.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:11 PM
10 Second Club

I'm interested to see your theories about extending a trannies life, seems it's heavily dependent on RPM. I'm all about learning.
Yeah man me too. I don't know much about the inner workings of autos like you do, but I've done a ton of searching on how others have blown theirs up and noticed some trends. Throw in a little help from joecar on EFI live and came up with some good stuff I think. I'll try and get a thread going this week in the auto section.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:01 PM
Launching!

It was vary dossilhel till u step on it , it was realy like stock except for the exhaust , till u got into it
Old 11-05-2017, 08:04 PM
Launching!

That’s the bonus of a centrifugal blower it’s not instantaneous I had YSI
Old 11-05-2017, 08:15 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1500HP
That’s the bonus of a centrifugal blower it’s not instantaneous I had YSI
Yeah this is my first time with a centrifugal and once it's setup right I'm noticing the same thing. The linear power band makes it easier to manage.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:10 AM
10 Second Club

Here's the link to the trans thread for those interested.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...-hp-track.html

Quick Reply: Finally got the D1SC to the track...Like a walk in the park