Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cloye's Timing with Front Main Seal - Looks awful

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cloye's Timing with Front Main Seal - Looks awful

I am not sure how this front main seal is supposed to work.

I have a K1 Technologies crankshaft and a Cloye's timing set.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/CLO-9-3667TX3Z

I am afraid something to do with the LS7 style dry sump oiling system has caught me off. This is a 5.3L ERL performance sleeved block. I have a bunch of LS7 parts on it and I am afraid I ordered the wrong timing kit.

It is currently installed on the car and the lower crank sprocket keyed section sides out way farther than I would have expected. I am using a wet sump oiling system with the Melling High Volume pump.

I believe I got the lower sprocket seated as well as I possibly could and the timing chain is extremely well aligned and looks to be true during rotation.

Once I got the front cover on the seal popped up onto the lower timing sprocket and it sitting on the keyed part. See photo:

I have since removed it - something isn't right.

What is wrong? Do I need a different lower timing sprocket? Or a different cover?

They both can't be wrong (I hope)!

Thanks for the help...
Old 11-24-2017, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

Is there an LS7 front cover?

Might just have to order a new cover or a new sprocket.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Post a picture without the cover on, it would be easier to see whats going on.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:51 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,521 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Yeah, you should have a lot more crank snout out front than that. Like slogo said, show us what’s behind this.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would be more concerned with the distance between the pump key and the end of the crankshaft. There appears to be very little crank snout for the harmonic balancer to engage and that will be the bigger issue. In looking at the timing set in the link, that appears to be the issue. Assuming the crank is for a 5.3, I would think you want the 5.3 timing set which will have a shorter oil pump drive.

Is that long of an oil pump drive required for the dry sump setup?

Compare your setup to this one: Cloyes 5.3 timing set
Old 11-25-2017, 08:23 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by slogo
Post a picture without the cover on, it would be easier to see whats going on.
Originally Posted by Che70velle
Yeah, you should have a lot more crank snout out front than that. Like slogo said, show us what’s behind this.

Originally Posted by vettenuts
I would be more concerned with the distance between the pump key and the end of the crankshaft. There appears to be very little crank snout for the harmonic balancer to engage and that will be the bigger issue. In looking at the timing set in the link, that appears to be the issue. Assuming the crank is for a 5.3, I would think you want the 5.3 timing set which will have a shorter oil pump drive.

Is that long of an oil pump drive required for the dry sump setup?

Compare your setup to this one: Cloyes 5.3 timing set

Okay, I think this is the correct issue.

I bought a LS7 timing set accidentally when I ordered my LS7 cylinder heads based on the recommendation at the time, which was based on an incorrect but simple assumption.

I will need to replace the lower timing sprocket.

I have a C5R chain so I assume that the stock LS3 lower timing sprocket will work. I would hate to have to buy a $250 timing set when I only need a $35 sprocket.

Do you think this would work?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-12556582

I need to count the teeth and everything but it seems like I shouldn't have a problem using this.

If I can use the part from the LS3 I can get it locally today at a dealership (I hope) and then not lose another week trying to get this thing sealed up.

I will have to replace the seal in the front cover as I believe I've damaged it too much getting it up onto this old pump drive.

Thanks for all the help!!
Old 11-25-2017, 08:43 AM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Yeah, you got the wrong timing set. A stock lower gear will probably work, but you lose your ability to adjust the cam.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KCS
Yeah, you got the wrong timing set. A stock lower gear will probably work, but you lose your ability to adjust the cam.

Thanks, KCS.

I do not care to adjust the cam for this application. I actually have two camshafts and plan on running the first one straight up for a few months while I iron out the car and then throwing in the papa solid roller when I'm ready to "party".

Anyone else running a stock lower gear with aftermarket chain and cam sprocket? Just would love someone that is already doing this to chime in. I'll inspect it and make sure all looks good.

Much appreciate the quick responses. Just gotta get this dang sprocket off now.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:01 AM
FormerVendor

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Avon Gear

Hi D9, I buy from Avon Gear.
This is the manufacturer of the best timing chain gear set and their chain is the strongest.
Art (progearweb.net) can provide the lower gear (billet) with index positions or I could ship one for your needs?

Lance
Attached Thumbnails Cloye's Timing with Front Main Seal - Looks awful-dsc_0322.jpg   Cloye's Timing with Front Main Seal - Looks awful-dsc_0323.jpg   Cloye's Timing with Front Main Seal - Looks awful-dsc_0324.jpg  

Last edited by pantera_efi; 11-26-2017 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Added Pictures

Quick Reply: Cloye's Timing with Front Main Seal - Looks awful