Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

VFN Sunoco Wide installed

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 12:02 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default VFN Sunoco Wide installed

Figured you'd all like to see a few pics. By far my personal favorite hood. Got the bolt on version. Took exactly 7 weeks to show up. WELL worth the wait. What a quality product. Fitment was OUTSTANDING. Overall I'm very happy. Took me less than an hour start to finish. Hope you all like it. Gives the car a sinister look.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 556 Likes on 394 Posts

Car now looks like it's all business!!
Old 11-17-2017, 05:40 AM
TECH Regular

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by allblackedout5
Gives the car a sinister look.
That it does.
Did you find the need to change out to the lighter struts they sell or still using the stockers?
Old 11-17-2017, 11:07 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
Car now looks like it's all business!!
Too bad its still so damn slow!! LOL ... Thanks.

Originally Posted by 95wannabe
That it does.
Did you find the need to change out to the lighter struts they sell or still using the stockers?
Funny you ask...when I called VFN to order, the rep recommended the light weight struts. I basically said "Listen for $40, I don't care much but is this a scam? Be honest with me, the stock ones are fine as long as you are paying attention when you open up the hood seeing as it's half the weight right?" She said to me "We really recommend them." I just kind of giggled and said ok fine throw them in there.

Well I thought about it after I ordered and I have a lot of idiot stick friends that like to help work on the car, all very helpful and nice to have around but not very much stuff gets installed without at least one thing getting broken by one of them. So the last thing I need is one of them opening the hood up letting it fly and breaking something...

Well after installing this thing last night, I will say, I am glad I got the lightweight struts. This hood is LIGHT and it flies up even with these, but they open it to the absolute PERFECT height, because it stops about 1/32 of an inch before the top of the cowl makes contact with the windshield...no idea if this is by design, luck, or the way I fitted it to the car, but I'd imagine with stock hood struts I'd have a cracked fiberglass hood.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:30 AM
TECH Regular

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

yeah I was wondering if they really were different or not. Mine are the original 22 year old now so they're probably ok till they quit altogether. Then maybe I'll go with the lighter ones.
Thanks!
Old 11-17-2017, 01:50 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 95wannabe
yeah I was wondering if they really were different or not. Mine are the original 22 year old now so they're probably ok till they quit altogether. Then maybe I'll go with the lighter ones.
Thanks!
Yea a worn out set would probably work the same as the new "lightweight" set. I was too lazy and didn't care enough to compare part numbers or anything but I will say they're the same brand as my stock ones were and they're the same length. I'd say you're probably fine saving the $40 but who knows. It's $40 and they look nice and new, I've wasted a lot more than $40 on much more useless **** on this car I know that much lol.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I'd have to agree, thats the best version of the Sunoco hood. That looks badass. The cowl going back to windshield makes all the difference.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Glad to hear it fit well, I am going with a smoothie q hood after the winter.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:00 PM
Teching In

Do you have a weight difference?
Old 11-18-2017, 11:01 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by LT4vert
I'd have to agree, thats the best version of the Sunoco hood. That looks badass. The cowl going back to windshield makes all the difference.
Thanks a lot, I agree on the extended cowl. Gives it a much better look. I think the height of it is perfect also.

Originally Posted by Carguy8888
Glad to hear it fit well, I am going with a smoothie q hood after the winter.
Fitment was exceptional in my opinion. Truly bolted right on, left things finger tight pulled on it in a couple directions, lifted it up and snugged it. Easiest thing I've put on this car id say. Good luck with your new hood too!

Originally Posted by Midnight Blue GTO
Do you have a weight difference?
I'm sorry I don't. I have scales too. I should've checked but I was so happy to be putting it on I didn't think of it. If I was to purely guess I'd say it's close to a 20 lb weight savings. This thing is feather light.
Old 11-28-2017, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

It sure looks fast*
Old 12-01-2017, 02:43 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2JAWZ
It sure looks fast*
Thanks, wish it actually was lol
Old 12-01-2017, 04:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks good! so this is the bolt on hood? I just ordered the pin on extended hood a few weeks ago, I hope its done soon! this hood they say is 4-1/2 tall I think. how does it look from the inside? I really thought about the taller 6" hood just to gain room for future set ups. also is the hood strong enough in the center with no supports or does it flex much? thanks

Sorry just looked back again and I must have missed the picture from inside before!
Old 12-02-2017, 03:02 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Uneverknow
looks good! so this is the bolt on hood? I just ordered the pin on extended hood a few weeks ago, I hope its done soon! this hood they say is 4-1/2 tall I think. how does it look from the inside? I really thought about the taller 6" hood just to gain room for future set ups. also is the hood strong enough in the center with no supports or does it flex much? thanks

Sorry just looked back again and I must have missed the picture from inside before!
Thank you! Yes this is bolt on version.

Well since I'm nearly a midget standing at a whopping 5'6", for me I will admit it is a bit tough to see out and over the hood, especially since I have to run my seat a bit lower to comfortably get in and out of the car with the cage in place. But I've had worse.

It provides quite a bit of space underneath and it's quite strong so I can't see it being a large issue running it without center supports but I can't speak from experience there. As stated, all in all, I'm extremely happy with the hood all around. Customer service at VFN was outstanding it showed up in about 6.5 weeks. Product quality, fitment, looks, all is good in my opinion.

No problem I could take another photo or two from the inside if you'd like? Car is tucked away in garage but I'm sure I could get to it in a day or two.
Old 12-02-2017, 03:05 PM
9 Second Club

Few more for your viewing pleasure.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if they have a pin-on version of that hood.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:55 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by gesto
I wonder if they have a pin-on version of that hood.
They do, I believe it is around $430.

Edit:

http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/932001camaro.htm $445, scroll down to about half way of that page, you'll see a red camaro with billet grille black mirrors and roof. That is where the pin on version is also listed.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks! It looks good on your car.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:38 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by gesto
Thanks! It looks good on your car.
Thanks a lot!
Old 11-11-2019, 11:51 AM
Teching In

did you re-use the factory hood bolts? i had re-used mine and had nothing but issues with trying to get the bolts to tighten down.

Quick Reply: VFN Sunoco Wide installed