Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Camaro SS build

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 11:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Camaro SS build

Just wanted to start a thread. Since I guess you have to start 50 to be able to do certain things on this forum.

Anywho, military stationed on Oahu. Traded my bike last year for the Camaro and its been great ever since. Found out a lot about the car after I got it.
list of stuff it had when I got it.

tubular k member
42lb injectors
ladder bars
rear sway bar
adjustable panhard bar
ls6 intake

Since I got it I blew a couple of the pistons up so I was forced to rebuild (oh shucks). Took it down to a machine shop which I will never recommend to anyone because they took 5 months to complete my stuff and they still messed it up. (they left a real nice gouge on my block where the head mates)
Got it bored 10 over and bought:
JE forged pistons
texas speed 228R cam
Double valve spring set
Double timing chain set (a roller set)
forged rods
texas speed pushrods
texas speed stage 2.5 heads
Lunati link bar lifters

Finally got everything put together. Ran into a number of issues though like the gouge from the machine shop and then my crank pulley wouldn't go all the way on. I found out that because of my new timing set I had to get it machined about .135" so that I would get the proper numbers from the pulley to the crank snout. Ran into the issue of my frame being cracked and when I lifted the car it snapped. Luckily I had another car that I took a t56 out of and the guy didn't want the body, so I was able to switch my stuff to that one. I will be uploading a lot of pics. just gotta get them onto my computer first.

I did manage to get it all done by new years though so I was able to do a burnout at midnight. She screams (especially with only headers on it). If you guys have any questions please feel free to ask! I learned a ton doing this build and I did a buttload of homework (thanks to this sight) so whatever knowledge I can pass on I will.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:59 PM
Teching In

Hopefully this works this time! Here are only some of the pics, If this does work then I will add a couple more responses like this
Old 01-03-2018, 04:01 PM
Teching In

Here is some more! More to follow
Old 01-03-2018, 04:03 PM
Teching In

My camera on my phone is messed up, That's why the pics are kinda blurry. Gotta work with what I have thought

This is when I snapped the frame, thankfully didn't lose too much time on the installation. Got her swapped pretty quick.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

how did you snap the frame? The big tow strap wrapped around both rails?? Did it break inward??? I see rust and what appears to be heat marks from previous welding, maybe it was broken before and not repaired properly.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:44 PM
Teching In

Ya, when I lited the car with the weight of the engine it snapped the rails. After I looked at it I could see that it had already been damaged before and it was very terribly repaired. The welds that I could picture from the inside were bird **** welds and they were all rusted. I contacted the guy I got the car from and he says he didn't know about it (which is what anyone would say) but I honestly think its from the guy before him. Who knows though, the guy I got it from is a mustang guy, we all know how they like to drive into stuff
Old 01-04-2018, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I think the only real fix for those rails is probably to bring it to a body shop to have it properly repaired BUT im sure the bill would severely out weigh the value of the car. Your best bet might be to look for a roller to put your motor into. or find a GOOD fabricator you could bring the car to without the engine installed to see if they would tackle fixing it properly.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:35 PM
Teching In

i did, everything is already in the other car
Old 01-04-2018, 05:36 PM
Teching In

Im stripping what I can/want to from my car and then scrapping the rest
Old 01-05-2018, 05:26 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is crazy that those frame rails broke like that.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:48 AM
Teching In

ya, it really annoyed me because I had been fighting with the build the entire time. Just seemed that everytime I got close to finishing it, something else went wrong. As soon as I switched cars though everything started going swimmingly. I yanked my old front passenger fender the other day and found out that my car had definitely been in a wreck. The inner fender was crumpled and rusted through. I am super glad that I am not using that car anymore, if I were to ever get into a wreck in that thing I would have been screwed for sure!

Quick Reply: 2000 Camaro SS build