Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strange front Drag brake install help

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 05:45 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Strange front Drag brake install help

Hello gents,

I picked up a very lightly used Strange Front Drag brake setup for the Camaro. I am just getting around to having the time to install it. I went online looking for some installation guidelines and I have discovered an issue. Someone familiar with Strange brakes for these cars may be able to help...

My basic issue is I am either missing parts, or I have an older kit that is no longer offered. Posted below is a picture of what I have. Does anyone recognize the parts and know whether or not I'm missing things or if this is just an older setup that installs differently than the ones currently offered by Strange. At first glance I just assumed that they would bolt in place of the factory calipers using those brackets but they don't seem to clear the spindle or sit correctly on the factory hub.

Thank you for any help.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:22 PM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

Strange brakes do not bolt straight in. You gotta pull the hub and go with their hub. You also gotta do some cutting and drilling on the spindle.

Easiest way out of your jam is either to punt or get a set of tubular arms with third gen spindles and the strange hubs. The tubular spindles from burkhartchassis will pretty much bolt up but will still require a bit of shimming to center the rotor in the caliper.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the factory spindles will need cutting of the ears in order for these to fit, if they're actually made for the fbody. Contact Strange Engineering for confirmation.GL
Old 01-27-2018, 07:57 AM
9 Second Club

Thanks guys... that's what I was looking at in the install guides I found, cutting up the spindles a bit and changing the hub...which is more than fine, but it isn't fine when you get a complete bolt on kit that isn't so complete. I'll wait til next week and give Strange a call, see if they can send me out some replacement parts for what I'm missing if that's the case.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:41 AM
9 Second Club

If anyone has access to older Strange Catalogs or anything I am told the part # on this kit is Strange: B4180WC2 .... maybe that'll help clarify what I need. If not Monday or Tuesday I'll get in touch with Strange. Again, thanks for the help guys.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Maybe this will help? Hell I cant remember if i trimmed the stock spindle or not.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ck-wheels.html
Old 01-27-2018, 12:38 PM
9 Second Club

WOW man you are awesome. I just read your thread, those brackets look identical to the ones I have with my setup.... So it appears those black caliper brackets bolt in place of the stock caliper retainer and then the rotor just slides over stock hub? Wonder if the guy I got these from got these conversion brackets from MWC also. 37# weight drop too. Thanks!!! I only have $450 into this brake kit, if these parts work and I grab set of lines for maybe $100 once they're on.... and I'm winning.

Last edited by allblackedout5; 01-27-2018 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:44 PM
9 Second Club

Maybe a MWC guy will chime in at some point to confirm before I get a chance to toss them on too.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Yeah just looking quickly it looked like you had the same setup. When i originally ordered and got the aluminum flange hubs i realized i couldnt run stock wheels so i sent that portion back and got the brackets for stock spindles. Remember you must center the caliper over the rotor with shims, it probably wont be perfect. I shoulda took better pics of that.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:54 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Yeah just looking quickly it looked like you had the same setup. When i originally ordered and got the aluminum flange hubs i realized i couldnt run stock wheels so i sent that portion back and got the brackets for stock spindles. Remember you must center the caliper over the rotor with shims, it probably wont be perfect. I shoulda took better pics of that.
No problem. Thanks for the help. I very much appreciate it.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

That appears to be one of our kits or at least a possible knock off to one of our retrofit front brake kits to retain abs/traction control. email me everything you have and both sides of the rotor to midwestchassis2@hotmail.com
Old 01-29-2018, 10:46 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis2
That appears to be one of our kits or at least a possible knock off to one of our retrofit front brake kits to retain abs/traction control. email me everything you have and both sides of the rotor to midwestchassis2@hotmail.com
Thanks a lot I will do that shortly.

Quick Reply: Strange front Drag brake install help