Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 LQ4 6 liter

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 08:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 LQ4 6 liter

Hello,

I just pulled a LQ4 from a 2005 Sierra 2500 RWD. It has 122k miles on it. The engine ran well. I want to install the engine and transmission into my 65 Impala.
I am on a tight budget but will do what I should before the install.
What do people recommend before I slide the engine and trans in?
I have just purchased a Holley 302-1 oil pan.
Timing chain?
Oil Pump?

What exhaust manifolds work best on this engine? I have the truck ones but see some used LS3 camaro ones for cheap.

I plan to keep the truck manifold and accessories.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:39 AM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

If I haven't heard/seen it run, I usually do lifters and head gaskets.
I've personally never replaced the pump or timing chain on any of the engines I've used.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:16 AM
Teching In

Which lifters and head gaskets are recommended? I just starting cleaning up the engine and getting it ready for paint.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by zims23
Hello,

I just pulled a LQ4 from a 2005 Sierra 2500 RWD. It has 122k miles on it. The engine ran well. I want to install the engine and transmission into my 65 Impala.
Timing chain?
Oil Pump?

What exhaust manifolds work best on this engine? I have the truck ones but see some used LS3 camaro ones for cheap.

Need more information on what you have and your plans. Do you have the harness and ecm ? Are you going to keep it dbw , do have the peddle and tac ? Since this a swap thread I'd move this to Conversions and hybrids section for better results and help .
P.S . I would retitle this 65 Impala swap
Old 09-12-2017, 11:30 AM
Teching In

I do have the ECM, harness and peddle. It will stay DBW. I am thinking of buying a new harness for ease of installation.
I really just want to install the engine and have a good reliable drivetrain.
I am installing the 4L80 as well.
Working on the engine while on the stand is the easiest option for me. I will do any preventative work required now that is recommended.
Thanks
Old 09-12-2017, 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If they are even halfway maintained, they can go 200K easy without any internal work.

I usually do a leak-down test, and pull the pan and look for any trash and wiggle the rods to feel for any that appear loose. If all looks good I run it as is. Fix any leaks of course.

The early gen 3 6.0 motors had oil pump issues but they were fixed before 2005.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it were mine I'd do lifters, valve Springs, valves seals, valley cover seal, front main seal, front cover seal, rear main seal, rear cover seal, barbell, harmonic damper. This for me would be At minimum. That's just me, it's easier to do stuff when on the stand.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:48 AM
Teching In

Thanks.
Do you recommend buying all GM OEM parts?
Old 09-12-2017, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I do have the ECM, harness and peddle. It will stay DBW. I am thinking of buying a new harness for ease of installation.
I really just want to install the engine and have a good reliable drivetrain.
I am installing the 4L80 as well.
Working on the engine while on the stand is the easiest option for me. I will do any preventative work required now that is recommended.
Thanks
Repin the truck harness and clean up routing the wires is most budget friendly. The ecm will need to have the VATS removed along with any emission you don't want. As far as manifolds 5th gen Camaro or Trailblazer/Envoy may work , you'll probably need one's that rear dump is my guess .Search full body swaps and find out what ex manifolds guys are using.Do you have motor mounts yet have you mocked it up yet ?

Last edited by omc8; 09-13-2017 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Correct spelling
Old 09-12-2017, 01:52 PM
Teching In

Thanks.
I purchased a set of motor mount plates from kwhizz.
I will start the search for manifolds.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks.
Do you recommend buying all GM OEM parts?
oem is usually the best for that type of stuff. Maybe a set of good aftermarket valve springs.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

Hello,

Timing chain?
Oil Pump?

I had the same decisions to make with my 180K mile 5.3, it had a good bit of oily dirt on it but ran good and under the valve covers was clean. I pulled the pan and one rod cap and the bearing looked great, so I replaced the oil pan gasket. Also replaced all the other gaskets and front and rear seals with the exception of head gaskets and used GM parts.

I used GMPartsdirect and the cost was fine but there was nothing direct about their getting the parts to my house, never again.

The 5.3 is going into a fullsize Cherokee and I probably could have made the truck manifolds work but bought LS3 manifolds that will work and even better. They are tight to the block with a rear dump so they should work for a lot of different swaps.

A '65 Impala was my first car in '79 that I completely destroyed it (stupid kid tricks) so I do wish you luck. And there are a few really nice builds for reference here.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

What are your plans for the engine...cam, turbo, etc?? If just a cruiser, leave it alone.

If you plan on a cam, probably should replace the lifters which means the heads have to come off. Then do springs, seals, timing set.

Replace any seals that are leaking. I would do a compression test before installing it though.

Quick Reply: 2005 LQ4 6 liter