Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to go speed density?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 08:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to go speed density?

I've been searching but haven't found a "how to".

Anyone know where I can find a write up or video on how to make my car go speed density? I'm getting rid of the MAF all together.

my car is just a H/C/I build, nothing crazy.

Also is this is the correct sensor I am going to need?
Amazon Amazon
Old 08-17-2017, 09:58 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

The operating system in the PCM will have to be flashed over to a speed density OS.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You didn't mention the pcm you are using but generally you just set the MAF fail frequency to zero and it will revert to the VE table. It will set a code and light the SES, then go set those to not report.

I'm not going to click the amazon link, but most guys just go to a thread in IAT and stick it in the intake somewhere.

Last edited by Bowtie316; 08-17-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:12 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Bowtie316
This post should be in the pcm diagnostics and tuning area. You didn't mention the pcm you are using but generally you just set the MAF fail frequency to zero and it will revert to the VE table. It will set a code and light the SES, then go set those to not report.

I'm not going to click the amazon link, but most guys just go to a thread in IAT and stick it in the intake somewhere.

more specifically how do I hardwire it in? I will get it tuned once I get it all together, I just am not exactl sure what sensor to get and how to wire. Or if it is more involved than that

thanks guys.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:15 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

You don't have to wire anything in. Your engine already has an IAT sensor. Just use those wires.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:18 AM
9 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Road_House
more specifically how do I hardwire it in? I will get it tuned once I get it all together, I just am not exactl sure what sensor to get and how to wire. Or if it is more involved than that

thanks guys.
lol what.....

Anyways to go SD you don't need to buy any sensors man. Just get it tuned for SD your tuner will know what your talking about. You don't need to get anything ready. Unless your boosted and need a different MAP sensor.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ok I clicked the link. If you have a 5 wire maf then yes the IAT you linked will work. Just wire it in to the 2 wires that originally went to the 5 wire maf for the IAT portion and cut the other 3 wires out.

It's exactly what I did on the Stude and will be doing again on the nova I'm building.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:04 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by soloman369
lol what.....

Anyways to go SD you don't need to buy any sensors man. Just get it tuned for SD your tuner will know what your talking about. You don't need to get anything ready. Unless your boosted and need a different MAP sensor.
so I don't need an IAT sensor in the lid?
Old 08-17-2017, 11:06 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Bowtie316
Ok I clicked the link. If you have a 5 wire maf then yes the IAT you linked will work. Just wire it in to the 2 wires that originally went to the 5 wire maf for the IAT portion and cut the other 3 wires out.

It's exactly what I did on the Stude and will be doing again on the nova I'm building.
sounds good! I'll check what kind of maf wiring I have when I get out of work. It's a 98 formula

thanks
Old 08-17-2017, 02:06 PM
9 Second Club

sounds good! I'll check what kind of maf wiring I have when I get out of work. It's a 98 formula

thanks
If its a 98 you have an MAF pigtail and a IAT pigtail. I have a 98 and went to a speed density tune from Pat G for a H/C/I Th400 (they swap it over to m6 tune file).

But Im boosted now and at the max the computer can do on the 2 bar SD tune. Im swapping in a p59 pcm so I can run flex and a 3 bar SD tune and getting my harness rewired for it. So I will have a spare 98 pcm for sale if your interested.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:50 AM
Staging Lane

If its a 98 you have an MAF pigtail and a IAT pigtail. I have a 98 and went to a speed density tune from Pat G for a H/C/I Th400 (they swap it over to m6 tune file).

But Im boosted now and at the max the computer can do on the 2 bar SD tune. Im swapping in a p59 pcm so I can run flex and a 3 bar SD tune and getting my harness rewired for it. So I will have a spare 98 pcm for sale if your interested.
OK good to know. So is the IAT pigtail the one that's connected to the lid? My MAF pigtail only has 3 wires going to the MAF sensor.

So I am assuming I just reuse the pigtail and sensor from my current SLP lid and put it into my FTP 92MM lid and call it good?

That's all I need to do correct?

I just want to make sure I get everything right before I get the car to my tuner.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:29 AM
9 Second Club

OK good to know. So is the IAT pigtail the one that's connected to the lid? My MAF pigtail only has 3 wires going to the MAF sensor.

So I am assuming I just reuse the pigtail and sensor from my current SLP lid and put it into my FTP 92MM lid and call it good?

That's all I need to do correct?

I just want to make sure I get everything right before I get the car to my tuner.
Yes that correct just re use that pigtail and sensor from your slp lid and place it on the new FTP lid.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:36 PM
Staging Lane

Yes that correct just re use that pigtail and sensor from your slp lid and place it on the new FTP lid.
Great!! Thank you!

Quick Reply: How to go speed density?