Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Remove Window tint from the back of WS6 ...... Tips ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove Window tint from the back of WS6 ...... Tips ?

I am wanting to please get some tips and recommendations for how to go about removing the tint ( myself ) from the back window of my WS6

It is bubbbled and peeling , and I cant see very well out of the window anymore ( especially on a sunny day ) , so am wanting to get it taken off

I have heard that you can use a Blow dryer and a lot of time t remove it , but was wondering if others could share and or recommend any other ways to go about it

Thanks so much
Old 10-10-2017, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Get black garbage bags, some windex (that contains ammonia) and painters tape. cut sides / bottom off the garbage bags so it makes two large squares. Depending on the size of the garbage bags used, you may need to cut up two or three to get the coverage required. Spray / soak the inside of the hatch glass where the old window tint is. Really get it on there. Place the black garbage bags against the glass so that the windex is inbetween the garbage bag and the tint/glass. If you soaked it down well, it should cling pretty easily. Tape the edges to seal it all in. Place in direct sunlight for a whole day. In the evening, remove the tape and the bags and get a razor blade. Use the razor blade on an edge of the tint to start lifting it from the glass. You should now be able to remove the tint easily as the ammonia in the windex has reacted with the glue in the tint to release it from the glass. Just use some more windex to clean the glass of any further residue after you have removed the tint. I've used this method on a bunch of vehicles and it worked like a charm every time. Just make sure you do it on a very sunny day.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I just did mine, I used a razor blade to remove the tint and steel wool to get the remaining bits.Remove Window tint from the back of WS6 ...... Tips ?-photo216.jpg
Old 10-10-2017, 06:46 PM
Teching In

The garbage bag trick worked great, no glue left over. Make a template from the outside, soak the inside with half soapy water half 409 cleaner and stick the bag to it. A few hours in direct sunlight and everything peeled right off, wish I'd done it sooner
Old 10-11-2017, 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

heat gun plus goo-gone. peeled mine off in 1 big piece. then washed with windex.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Does this method damage the rear window defroster? I need mine replaced too, but don't to mess up my defroster. Tint's been on there since '98!
Old 10-16-2017, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

Great tips and advice

Thank you everyone for chimming in

Yeah, I may try and use the Garbage bags and windex technique this weekend ( suppose to be mid 70s and Full sun all day

I also have a heat gun , worse case I can't get any off with the trash bags and windex

Thanks again for the help and the tips
Old 11-22-2017, 12:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Use straight ammonia instead of windex, and some heat, it should come off pretty easily.

Quick Reply: Remove Window tint from the back of WS6 ...... Tips ?