Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I waste my money on this motor? Pics*

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Did I waste my money on this motor? Pics*

I bought a 5.3 from the junkyard for a ls swap project. Anyways, I was cleaning the block to prepare for new head gaskets just cause I wanted to replace them while engine was out. Well I noticed this, did I just waste my money on this motor?

Last edited by dry_kill; 04-19-2018 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:12 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Usually happens from the block freezing, or extreme overheating.

I've had luck welding them up and then decking the block. Its just the water jacket. I've never tried to make power on one like that though.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Most junk yards have at least a 30 day warranty have u had it longer than that. Depends on how much u pay for used 5.3s but it could b3 welded and machined
Old 04-19-2018, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well it was 550. Not even sure if it's worth paying for the machine work. What does welding typically run?

*added another picture, found more damage
Old 04-19-2018, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

And it has 30 day warranty but he's giving me **** saying that I voided the warranty when I removed the heads. Even though his receipt guarantees no cracked blocks. So I'm waiting on a phone call now
Old 04-19-2018, 03:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

Yeah that's scrap in my book
Old 04-19-2018, 03:22 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by dry_kill
*added another picture, found more damage
Yeah that looks like it had straight water in it through the winter. That block is no good.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah after seeing more damage the block is **** and if he don't honor it make sure u let me know who it is so I k ow not to buy from there a warranty is a warranty period
Old 04-19-2018, 04:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 2,353 Posts

And it has 30 day warranty but he's giving me **** saying that I voided the warranty when I removed the heads. Even though his receipt guarantees no cracked blocks. So I'm waiting on a phone call now
You might remind the jerk that the crack would not have been found had you not pulled the heads.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
You might remind the jerk that the crack would not have been found had you not pulled the heads.
I'd bring a can of gas and light the place up.......so they want you to install the engine and find out after the install that it's cracked, knowing damn well your 30 days are closing in ....itS a conspiracy ******* rip off salvage yards and there stupid warranties most people do engine swaps on there off time so chances are it usually takes a couple of months let alone 30 days...damn I would be beyond furious I'm so sorry for your luck.... I guess you gonna have to get ugly with the guy, maybe even get a refund, I'd call the law on his ***
Old 04-19-2018, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dawgs74
I'd bring a can of gas and light the place up.......so they want you to install the engine and find out after the install that it's cracked, knowing damn well your 30 days are closing in ....itS a conspiracy ******* rip off salvage yards and there stupid warranties most people do engine swaps on there off time so chances are it usually takes a couple of months let alone 30 days...damn I would be beyond furious I'm so sorry for your luck.... I guess you gonna have to get ugly with the guy, maybe even get a refund, I'd call the law on his ***
on another note I was surfing ebay earlier and old clewho is at it again...this time he is selling 383 strokers...4.8/5.3 based, but here is the kicker....this idiot is selling them with ls3 heads wtf. .... how does that work on a 3.903" bore?.......anybody?

I will find the specs in a minute
Old 04-19-2018, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

on another note I was surfing ebay earlier and old clewho is at it again...this time he is selling 383 strokers...4.8/5.3 based, but here is the kicker....this idiot is selling them with ls3 heads wtf. .... how does that work on a 3.903" bore?.......anybody?

I will find the specs in a minute

How many of these do you think he has sold let alone run. ....successfully hmmmmm..
Old 04-19-2018, 05:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

do you know any body with a tig welder ?
Old 04-19-2018, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How many of these do you think he has sold let alone run. ....successfully hmmmmm..
you can always sell clewho your cracked block he can stroke it and put ls7 heads on it........and then he can sell it!..............if it doesn't pan out at the salvage yard you can always buy a bare block from Summit and swap the rotating assembly , that is if they are still intact!
Old 04-19-2018, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I loaded it up and took it back. Long story short, he doesn't have a motor right now to give me but said he should have something in by Monday that he'll let me hear running first before he pulls it. He was pretty pissed, as was I but fair is fair damnit. He really didn't want to offer me ****. I told him you basically sold me a core. I said if I installed it as is, it would be overheating and I'd be pulling the heads any damn way
Old 04-19-2018, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I loaded it up and took it back. Long story short, he doesn't have a motor right now to give me but said he should have something in by Monday that he'll let me hear running first before he pulls it. He was pretty pissed, as was I but fair is fair damnit. He really didn't want to offer me ****. I told him you basically sold me a core. I said if I installed it as is, it would be overheating and I'd be pulling the heads any damn way
good **** man......if he knew what was best....he should always honor his product!!!! Show us some pics of the replacement come Monday!!!!!! Good luck! Make sure he don't give u a 4.8.....look for flat tops in the spark plug hole....
Old 04-19-2018, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well it's supposed to be in the truck running so Ima check the Vin real quick and pistons as well if I can see them. Hell it was hard seeing them on this motor while I had it in my garage lol
Old 04-19-2018, 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well it's supposed to be in the truck running so Ima check the Vin real quick and pistons as well if I can see them. Hell it was hard seeing them on this motor while I had it in my garage lol
Thing is, I bet this motor would have run nice in its vehicle too; for a little while! Not sure hearing it run is good for a go/no-go decision.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Thing is, I bet this motor would have run nice in its vehicle too; for a little while! Not sure hearing it run is good for a go/no-go decision.
Yeah I know. Ima leave it running as long as I can and dog it some and see what the oil cap looks like and smell and sounds like. Really don't have no other options. My old man is saying get a lawyer, but it's 550 bucks. Granted it's still a good chunk of money but not enough to get lawyers involved, know what I mean
Old 04-19-2018, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah I know. Ima leave it running as long as I can and dog it some and see what the oil cap looks like and smell and sounds like. Really don't have no other options. My old man is saying get a lawyer, but it's 550 bucks. Granted it's still a good chunk of money but not enough to get lawyers involved, know what I mean
I hear ya man. Yeah, if you can run it long enough for any potential trouble to develop, would be the best idea. And after this episode, the yard owner SHOULD let you do that. I would ACT like you might get a lawyer after him, and he might soften up enough to do what you have to in order to make sure the motor is good.