Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

New Car - Camaro 1LE

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 12:51 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Car - Camaro 1LE

Hey guys,

Recently sold my Wrangler and got a well built and maintained Camaro SS 1LE w/only 26k miles.

It has the following build:
BTR LS-3-Bolt Cam(Stage 4)
BTR 7.400 Hardened Pushrods
Brian Tooley Dual Valve Springs(cams up to .650 lift ) w/titanium retainers
LS2 Timing Chain, w/3 bolt cam sprocket and chain dampener
Straub Bronze bushing trunion upgrade
Elite engineering black LS3 Catch can w/black An fittings and lines
SLP 25% underdrive pulley
160 degree thermo
TR55 NGK plugs
Dyno'd at 486whp

Also has BMR lowering springs

I am wondering what you guys are running for oil or would recommend with this build? I will see 2-4 track days a year and some spirited driving.

Thanks for the input

Last edited by Ryan30thTA; 05-24-2018 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats on the new ride I am sure you will love it.

The new 2019 Vettes are running 0-40 Mobil 1

http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/...-approved.html

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/02/...m-the-factory/

https://www.mobil.com/english-au/pas...xxmobil-1-0w40
Old 05-24-2018, 01:13 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the quick response!

I'm actually running 0W-40 Mobile 1 in my Trans Am and Viper! You think this would be a better oil for this engine over the stock 5W30 dexos2 from GM?

Originally Posted by transamtom
Old 05-24-2018, 03:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ryan30thTA
Thanks for the quick response!

I'm actually running 0W-40 Mobile 1 in my Trans Am and Viper! You think this would be a better oil for this engine over the stock 5W30 dexos2 from GM?
You said you were going to do track days so I think the 0-40 would be the choice.

The 5-30 is fine for spirited driving and drag racing but road racing see's much higher oil temps.

The new 0-40 for 2019 Vettes is Dexos approved.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by transamtom
You said you were going to do track days so I think the 0-40 would be the choice.

The 5-30 is fine for spirited driving and drag racing but road racing see's much higher oil temps.

The new 0-40 for 2019 Vettes is Dexos approved.
Thanks for the help and advice. If the new Vette's are running this 0W-40 for street and track, I think I'd be ok with my built LS3 running the same. It will be easier as my other two cars also use this same Mobile 0W-40. Any advice on oil filter, K&N Gold Series?
Old 05-24-2018, 04:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my 14 1LE with a cam I run Joe Gibbs LS30, which is a 5W-30 and have liked it. I have an external Mocal 44 row oil cooler that keeps oil temps down.
For filters I use AC Delco UPF48R, the ones that the dry sumped LS motors got from the factory. It doesn't have the extra length the K&N does to hang below the frame rail.
And the new LT engines are different than the LS family, I wouldn't use that as a reference point.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:46 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dumb_SS
On my 14 1LE with a cam I run Joe Gibbs LS30, which is a 5W-30 and have liked it. I have an external Mocal 44 row oil cooler that keeps oil temps down.
For filters I use AC Delco UPF48R, the ones that the dry sumped LS motors got from the factory. It doesn't have the extra length the K&N does to hang below the frame rail.
And the new LT engines are different than the LS family, I wouldn't use that as a reference point.
Well considering that 5-30 M1 was the old factory fill and GM has said the 0-40 can be used in all previous C7's and Mobil says 0-40 is for all high performance cars wanting extra protection I think its the right choice.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:11 PM
Teching In

I would agree for a car that is 100% a track car. But for the 99% of the time OP is driving, it's on the street. Maybe swap to 0w40 for the track if you want, but 5w30 is better for daily/ street driving. And 5w30 was tested and approved in LS engines, which is why GM recommends it. The fact they recommend 0w40 for C7s is erroneous since the LT is not an LS engine and may have different bearing clearances/ oiling system that drive oil choice.
Good read:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance/3976668-5w30-vs-0w40.html
Old 05-25-2018, 04:47 AM
12 Second Club

This is from 3/24/16 The Chief Engineer of the Vette answers a question on oil.

Tadge answered:

GM Propulsion Systems has validated all Corvette engines to operate with the DEXOS 5W30 for all but the most extreme track conditions. We recommend the use of Mobil 1 15W50 when the vehicle is going to be used for high temperature track operation as the higher viscosity range provides a greater degree of protection under the extreme stresses of that duty cycle. We like the extra lube performance in those conditions because, unlike some other manufacturers, driving on the track does not automatically void the warranty. However, daily driving use of the Mobil 1 15W50 on the street has not been validated, and as such we do not recommend its use where the operating temperatures can run lower. Some contributors to the thread correctly point out that few Corvette drivers operate their vehicles at extremely low temperatures, but as the manufacturer, we have to protect for that possibility. Another issue is that the 15w50 oil has higher phosphorous and ash content than we specify for factory fill. That is ok for track usage, but in long term street usage, those chemicals can compromise catalyst performance. As the manufacturer, we are expected to meet EPA emissions for a very long time. Lastly, the higher viscosity will also result in a small loss of fuel efficiency.

As for the Mobil 1 0W40, it was not available when we validated these engines and, in its currently available formulation, it also contains more phosphorous and ash than we specify. So, even if we validated the 0W40 for track use, we would still have to recommend reverting to a DEXOS 5W30 for daily street use.

Like all aspects of the auto industry, lubricants continue to improve over time. We work with Mobil and others to elevate the performance of their products and hence ours. We will continue to do that and when we have a better oil to ship in our engines or recommend for use on the track, we will do so.

Looks like it has more to do with emissions/fuel milage and catalyst efficiency than anything else.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:51 AM
Teching In

Got some great conversations going here. The car will see track days and will be driven occasionally when weather and time allows. My Viper is running the 0W-40, as well as my LS1 Trans Am I converted it over to, based on a lot of positive feedback from other LS1 owners.

If the tech is focused more on emissions reasons, my car does not have CATS(Kooks long tube headers, full exhaust, no cats), then I would lean for better overall protection which would be the 0W-40.

Curious for more opinions on this.......
Old 06-01-2018, 10:21 AM
Teching In

Had some vintage looking hockey stripes put on as well as some 3M clear protector. Had a blast with it at the track, handled great and was beast out there.

Still leaning towards putting in the 0W-40 oil when I change it soon after the track day...........

Old 08-11-2019, 09:27 PM
Teching In

Good looking car!
Old 08-29-2019, 07:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan30thTA
Curious for more opinions on this.......
To continue the oil discussion, you should stick with a high quality synthetic 5w-30 even for track use. I like Redline and have been using it for years. Before I got an oil cooler I was hitting 300 degrees on track and 250 after the cooler install. Used oil analysis showed no signs of breakdown even after 4 track days at 300 degrees. Now I stick with about a 6 track day oil change (with street miles in between) and results are good, I could go longer but no point in pushing it. I know others have had success with Amsoil, Royal Purple etc. Mobil 1 0w-40 is a good oil too and has the benefit of barely meeting the 40 weight category and is close to the Redline 5w-30 which is really high for the 30 weight category. One important thing to remember is that a heavier weight oil can withstand higher temps, but will also increase temps itself since it is harder to pump thru the engine.

The thing about oil recommendations are that you can get very good results, it pretty much comes down to "I put brand X in my engine and it didn't blow up" and that's not what you're looking for. You could run cheap Supertech oil and change it every 20,000 miles and it could still run for a couple hundred thousand miles before seizing or sludging up. If you really want to geek out over oil, go to the "bob's the oil guy" forum, tons of good info.

Have you made it to the track yet? Which ones? Get some track armor to protect your front end from chips.
Old 09-01-2019, 06:44 PM
Teching In

Awesome looking car, I almost bought a 1le but got an ss instead. Personally, I'd run 5w-30 even for the track days. Ive never had any problems with tracking my car running 5w-30.

Quick Reply: New Car - Camaro 1LE