Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Semi Sloppy Reg Cab 1500 Stepside Turbo Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts

Default Semi Sloppy Reg Cab 1500 Stepside Turbo Build

I'm tossing around the idea of doing a sorta sloppy turbo build. Got a couple LS swaps under my belt now (6.0/T56 into BMW E39 and L92/LS3 into C5) but never done the turbo thing. Feel free to make suggestions on what I have selected. Right now I just have the car itself and a 5.3 dropout so it's really a blank slate

The goal (as always) is ultimate reliability on a budget, in a fun daily driver. For now just plan to liquefy tires on the street and highway, maybe hit the strip a couple times a year.

The ride is a 2009 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, ex New York State Police Trooper car. 3.27 Trak-Lok 8.8 rear. About 4100 lbs right now. with the 4.6 mod V8 which of course is a gutless turd. In order to have this thing move out the way I want it to I'm shooting for about 600whp

Motor:
2000 5.3 iron gen 3 LM7 with supposedly 105K miles, 2000 silverado PCM, truck accessories yadda yadda. Probably going to run an LS1 intake manifold simply because the truck manifold looks like dog ****
Stock bottom end, pull out the pistons and open up the ring gaps?
Clean up the heads, maybe lap the valves, MLS gaskets. LS9 gaskets?
Should I even bother removing the heads or opening up the rings, or just run it?
LS6 cam? Sloppy stage 2 cam? Looking for something I can run with basic upgraded springs, and never ever worry about having to check them. I'll be tuning it myself so ease of tuning would be a huge bonus.

Trans will be a 4L80E unless there's another cost effective choice out there, but I really want overdrive since I'll be terrorizing people on the highways. Toss a shift kit in it before I install it? Will a stock converter cut it?

Turbo kit is wide open at this point, but I definitely want to stay with a single setup to reduce plumbing and complexity. Flipped front facing truck manifolds (I also have some C5 manifolds under my workbench, whatever fits). 2.25" crossover, etc. I would be MIG'ing the majority of the hot side myself. Again shooting for 600whp with plenty of room to grow.

Fuel is 93 pump gas for now, don't plan on doing meth. The car is ironically a Flex Fuel capable vehicle so that the police department could run either 93 or ethanol, so there is always that option. E85 stations are unfortunately few and far between in WNY, so I'd prefer to stick with pump gas. 80lb Siemens Deka injectors?

Cold side:
Stuff in the biggest air to air intercooler I can without blocking the radiator? 3" aluminum piping?

Should I just buy this kit to save time on piecing together all the BS and run it? Is this turbo capable of 600+?
http://www.vsracing.net/catalog/prod...oducts_id=1320

Looks like ON3 website has a lot of cost effective turbos...
http://www.on3performance.com/shop/o...-turbocharger/

Again new to the turbo scene, looking forward to input and sharing this sorta sloppy build with everyone

Last edited by LQ4-E39; 10-26-2018 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

the denmah kit with the 7875 makes for a great street set up. ran that the last two years and went 11.18 on 8psi and pump gas in a pick up truck.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here are some pics bringing us up to where we are today

Picked up this '09 CVPI in April '18 for $2650. Immediately stripped out the front seats, rear seats, and vinyl floor and thoroughly pressure washed everything. So much disgusting brown water coming out of everything. Ex New York State Police Trooper Car, so mostly highway miles. Actually runs really nice despite the slow 4.6. 3.27 Trak Lok rear end.

Looks giant next to normal sized cars. Took them both to local Cars and Coffee, I drove my L92/LS3 C5, wife drove the P71

Next to a random Camaro at the store

4.6 trying its bestest to roast em

After about a month of driving it to work and back I got tired of the skyjacker/offroading suspension, so out came the cutoff wheel. 1 coil removed up front. Also replace the front shocks and sway bar bushings as they were toast. This is with cut front springs and stock rear suspension, hence the rake.

Thumbing through the Moog Spring catalog, it looks like Part No 80873 has the same weird pigtail ends but is about 2" shorter. OE spring for a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee rear. Honey, you mind installing those?

Crappy pic but ride height is way more reasonable now. Rides way more tight and responsive

Took a ride on a rainy Saturday to see a guy selling some stuff on Craigslist...lots of cool old iron on his property

There's the crown jewel...a decently clean 2000 5.3 with 105K miles, got the entire dropout minus trans, but including all accessories, intake, wiring harness, truck manifolds, and PCM for $400.

Loaded it up behind the work truck and hauled her home.

Tossed a tarp on it for long term storage

That brings us to today, I am still planning the build in terms of the turbo kit.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

double post
Old 06-26-2018, 11:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

nice tow rig!
Old 06-26-2018, 10:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to be watching this, would be interested in seeing how you incorporate the gauges.
Old 06-27-2018, 01:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

If you mig the hotside instead of tig, be careful not to get any slag or other welding crap on the inside of the pipes. That **** breaks loose and gets into the turbo.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:40 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any progress on this yet? I’ve got a daily driver cvpi that will be soon getting swapped once I find another car to drive. Not many recorded swaps on the internet for these cars. I think maybe one or two threads over on the crown Vic forums. Anyways good luck
Old 08-15-2018, 10:34 AM
Turbo Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed, any progress? Lol
I have a coworker who has one of these for sale super cheap. I'd love to do this for a family hotrod, grocery getter. Sadly the only thing I'm worried about is how to keep the Ford computer happy so I can run AC and all the original gauges. I've heard that's tough with these.
For a huge car, it handles well and already has a gun rack in the trunk for my goods haha.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

No progress and unfortunately the car is for sale still running with the Ford engine. I have completed a major (and expensive project) every winter since 2012, it's time to take a break and focus on some other projects. Anyone wanna buy it with the 5.3 dropout? Package deal!
Old 10-23-2018, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, change of plans. The cop car is sold, in the end I decided I didn't really have the time (read: too lazy) to start from scratch LS swapping another vehicle in addition to the time required to build the turbo kit.

So I did the next best thing, bought a pre-LS swapped vehicle (from the factory). 2002 Silverado 1500 regular cab Stepside box, 4.8 LR4/4L60E, 10 bolt, 3.42s, 2WD. The current plan is a VSR 7875 on a homemade truck manifold kit, air to air intercooled, Sloppy stage 2 cam/1218s, 93 pump gas, stock P01 PCM updated to 3bar/RTT. The fuel level sender was acting up so I ripped the bed off to replace it; threw in a Walbro 450 using the stock bucket (modified) while I was in there. Pretty much copying dontbsme build.

I plan on running "low boost" (5psi or so) on the stock 4L60 until 1) it grenades or 2) I build and install a 4L80E, whichever comes first. This is my first turbo build so lots of questions to come. I do plan on documenting the build vlog style, so keep an eye out for that.

Pics to come. Need to update thread title!
Old 10-26-2018, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Some quick updates - here are some pictures from the day I picked up the truck. The interior was so filthy, it needed to be washed multiple times to clean the brown sludge off the wheel/shifter/radio/buttons. Little bit rusty on the doors and rockers but it adds to the sleeper effect of course.

Totally stock 4.8 ready to be molested

0411, P01 PCM. I pulled the tune already, it has 3bar and RTT capability but no flex fuel. That's fine since there are only 2-3 stations in a large radius around me that carry ethanol. I will probably play around with the basics like PE and TM removal, to see how it drives.

Things done so far:
Pulled bed, replaced fuel level sender and tossed in a Walbruh fo fiddy while it was apart
New rear shocks ($20 a piece!!!) and installed leaf spring clamps to stop some of the the wheel hop
New driver's side window regulator, old one came out in pieces
Scrubbed the inside of the cab and vacuumed

Also took a 2 hour round trip last night to pick up a 2000 4L80E with apparently 100k on it, out of an ex-NYS Highway truck for a whopping $200. Guy was super cool, he had bought the truck to strip and restore, and was in the process of installing a 12V Cummins. Thanks again Chris! The 80E will get a Transgo HD2 shift kit in it, it'll be my first time ever tearing into any automatic trans (seriously never even had the pan off of one).

Hopefully I can get it registered and inspected this weekend to see if it needs any other minor BS items to be roadworthy before I start tearing into it.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

nice i like that body style. what are you gonna do suspension and tire/wheel wise?

if you switch to a p59 I have a good DBC/80e/3bar with flex fuel and flex spark that is working great in a couple rigs.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

I like that body style, been looking for one, but you don't see many, around here any
that are on the road have all the metal lines rusted out. Be cool to see your progress.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by truckdoug
nice i like that body style. what are you gonna do suspension and tire/wheel wise?

if you switch to a p59 I have a good DBC/80e/3bar with flex fuel and flex spark that is working great in a couple rigs.
Yeah the stepside is cool, it's part of the reason I bought it. I already bolted on some leaf spring clamps to help with some of the wheel hop. Honestly the plan is just to get it running and slay as many tires in the factory size as possible, not really looking to race this thing so I don't need some exotic setup. The 4L80E fell into my lap more quickly than anticipated so I may just bite the bullet and do a cut down Explorer 8.8 at the same time as the trans install so that I only have to modify the driveshaft once.

I currently have the P01, any reason to switch to a P59? I'm not too familiar with the capabilities of each. Don't want to run flex/E85, it's not readily available locally.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by forcd ind
I like that body style, been looking for one, but you don't see many, around here any
that are on the road have all the metal lines rusted out. Be cool to see your progress.
This one isn't too far gone yet, the brake and fuel lines were already replaced once, I may re-do the fuel lines to be a bit more robust
Old 10-29-2018, 11:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LQ4-E39
Yeah the stepside is cool, it's part of the reason I bought it. I already bolted on some leaf spring clamps to help with some of the wheel hop. Honestly the plan is just to get it running and slay as many tires in the factory size as possible, not really looking to race this thing so I don't need some exotic setup. The 4L80E fell into my lap more quickly than anticipated so I may just bite the bullet and do a cut down Explorer 8.8 at the same time as the trans install so that I only have to modify the driveshaft once.

I currently have the P01, any reason to switch to a P59? I'm not too familiar with the capabilities of each. Don't want to run flex/E85, it's not readily available locally.

yeah if you have no ethanol it's not worth the work. but if there's even 1 pump in your area, its amazing how much more you can push a combo on alcohol
Old 10-29-2018, 04:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 546 Likes on 426 Posts

In for progress
Old 11-09-2018, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by truckdoug
yeah if you have no ethanol it's not worth the work. but if there's even 1 pump in your area, its amazing how much more you can push a combo on alcohol
Ok, turns out there is E85 about 5 minutes from my house, which definitely changes things.

Question is, does the P01 computer in the truck now have the capability of running flex? Here are the "upgrades" able to be applied to the stock tune

Old 11-09-2018, 09:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

yes the p1 "2004 tahoe" OS can do flex, DBC, 80e and 2 bar VE

it's unlikely that OS you show supports flex since it has RTT. Just not enough computing power to do both in the 512kB computers

you can of course just keep a canned tune for alcohol and flash it when you fill up. I have a customer who does that and prefers it.

Quick Reply: Semi Sloppy Reg Cab 1500 Stepside Turbo Build