Express Down Module

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 09:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Express Down Module

Hi to All!
1999 Camaro
1 year ago I've change the express down module and the window regulator and motor.

Everything works good and fast but I have a question!
When i press down 2 seconds I hear something that comes from the express down module and then the window goes express down without push the switch.
It is like a buzz but a little different.
It is normal that I hear something from the express down module?

I'm not worry about it before because everything works.

many thanks to All!

Last edited by Volcente; 12-15-2018 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Error
Old 12-16-2018, 08:20 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

It's normal to hear clicking from the module as relays engage. They shouldn't buzz, though.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:40 AM
Teching In

Okay! I have do some check.
Everything works.
when I push the switch up the express down module do a buzz of 1 second but the window goes up perfect.
Only in this situation it do a little buzz but it works and the window goes up and down fast.

Why it buzz when I push up?

thanks for help!
Old 12-19-2018, 04:06 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Volcente
Okay! I have do some check.
Everything works.
when I push the switch up the express down module do a buzz of 1 second but the window goes up perfect.
Only in this situation it do a little buzz but it works and the window goes up and down fast.

Why it buzz when I push up?

thanks for help!
Does the sound happen only when you have your finger on the switch? If so, there is an "UP" signal sent to the Express Down Module. This signal tells the express down function to stop if it is in the middle of putting the window down. You may have a bad relay inside the module, which is activated by the "UP" command and causing the sound.

If this is the case, you can take the module out of the car, remove the circuit board from the case and test this condition using the schematic below and a 12V battery:

If you do not want to buy a new module, you or someone skilled in electronics repair, should be able to fix the board and replace the noisy/broken component.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wssix99
Does the sound happen only when you have your finger on the switch? If so, there is an "UP" signal sent to the Express Down Module. This signal tells the express down function to stop if it is in the middle of putting the window down. You may have a bad relay inside the module, which is activated by the "UP" command and causing the sound.

If this is the case, you can take the module out of the car, remove the circuit board from the case and test this condition using the schematic below and a 12V battery:

If you do not want to buy a new module, you or someone skilled in electronics repair, should be able to fix the board and replace the noisy/broken component.
Thanks for your help!
The buzz comes when I push up on the switch and only for 1 second, but the window comes up perfect.
Is possible that is a switch problem?
the express down module have 2 years and it do this buzz from the first day that i use it.

thanks Wissix!
Old 12-20-2018, 06:16 AM
Save the manuals!

So, you purchased your current module used and when you press the up button it buzzes for one second and you keep your finger on the button and the window keeps going up after the buzzing stops?

If so, then you probably got a defective module and there is an electronic component (probably a capacitor or relay) on the electronics board that is bad. The problem is not from the switch.

Normally a relay sees a simple OFF-ON signal, like the green line below. (This creates a click.) I expect that you have a bad component in the module, which is sending a signal like the blue line below to the relay, instead. This creates many OFF-ON signals to the relay in a short period of time. (This creates a buzz.)

Express Down Module-2jcch.png
Old 12-20-2018, 07:22 AM
Teching In

So, you purchased your current module used and when you press the up button it buzzes for one second and you keep your finger on the button and the window keeps going up after the buzzing stops?

If so, then you probably got a defective module and there is an electronic component (probably a capacitor or relay) on the electronics board that is bad. The problem is not from the switch.

Normally a relay sees a simple OFF-ON signal, like the green line below. (This creates a click.) I expect that you have a bad component in the module, which is sending a signal like the blue line below to the relay, instead. This creates many OFF-ON signals to the relay in a short period of time. (This creates a buzz.)

I purcased a NEW module 2 years ago.
And when I push up it buzz for 1 second but never stops to go up.

Ii is possible that the module new was defective?
the only thing that I have no change is the switch so I wish is it the problem.

are you really sure that the problem can be the module?

thanks!
Old 12-20-2018, 04:55 PM
Save the manuals!

I purcased a NEW module 2 years ago.
And when I push up it buzz for 1 second but never stops to go up.

Ii is possible that the module new was defective?
the only thing that I have no change is the switch so I wish is it the problem.

are you really sure that the problem can be the module?

thanks!
If you take your finger off the button and the window still goes up, that is odd. The express down feature works when you take your finger off the button, correct? (You should not have an express "up" feature.)

Is that what you are getting? Express Down and Express Up. (in addition to the buzz) If so, you could have a bad switch, but that would be very rare. There are other possible causes.

To eliminate the switch, you should be able to take the switch console from the passenger side and plug it's switch into the left side of the driver's side connector. If that switch works the same, it's probably not a switch problem.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:45 AM
Teching In

If you take your finger off the button and the window still goes up, that is odd. The express down feature works when you take your finger off the button, correct? (You should not have an express "up" feature.)

Is that what you are getting? Express Down and Express Up. (in addition to the buzz) If so, you could have a bad switch, but that would be very rare. There are other possible causes.

To eliminate the switch, you should be able to take the switch console from the passenger side and plug it's switch into the left side of the driver's side connector. If that switch works the same, it's probably not a switch problem.
Nono.
I dont have express up.
I push up, the window goes up perfect and the module buzz for the first 1 second.

I have another driver switch at home, I try as soon as possible.

Otherwise do you know where is the point of soldier where the module have the switch up?
I have the old module too. I can see if the soldier are okay.

thanks!
Old 12-21-2018, 06:20 AM
Save the manuals!

I push up, the window goes up perfect and the module buzz for the first 1 second.
OK. That then does sound like something is happening in response to the "UP" input.

Look at the electrical drawing, above. On the module, you should see the letters "A", "B", "C", "D", and "E" at the connector. (Just like the drawing.) "B" is probably not used and the letters on the module corresponds to the letters on the electrical drawing. The "UP" input goes through terminal "A" and is carried by the Dark Blue Wire.

I suggest you also do this:
- Open the module
- Hook a 12V battery with the + terminals to "C" and "A" on the module.
- Hook the 12 battery - terminal to "E"

^ This should cause the module to think you are putting the window up, unless there are more wires going into the module. If there is a "B" and "F" terminal, I would guess one is another + you would have to hook up (the schematic above implies the module senses the ignition is on) and the other may be a - hookup. (if it is a black wire)
Old 12-21-2018, 06:33 AM
Teching In

Is possible that is a wire problem?
Old 12-21-2018, 11:07 AM
Save the manuals!

If a wires were cut in a harness and arcing, this could happen but the next step would be the same. (problems on the circuit board or module components can create the same effect) The easiest thing would be to remove the module and test it on a desktop with a battery to isolate the problem.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:34 AM
Teching In

Great help my friend!
I let you know when I try to fix this buzz.
I wait the good weather and the sun!
Maybe march or april!
Many many thanks!
Old 12-22-2018, 10:32 AM
Save the manuals!

Perfect - please post back in the spring, as you find things, so everyone else can benefit from your experience!