Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Camaro tuning

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 12:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Camaro tuning

I recently purchased a 1999 Camaro for a street strip car to play with. I am in the process of installing headers, 3200 stall converter, and 3.73 gears. My question is will the car require tuning for these upgrades or will it be ok? I am planning on doing a cam swap a little later down the road and dont want to have to pay the $400 dollars to have the car tuned each time I make a change. Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

you can generally get away with the headers, but once you throw a stall and gears you'll need to tune for those changes otherwise, your speedo and trans shifts will be erratic and way off.

edit-here are your options:
- invest in a tuning software like EFI live or hptuners
-have a local that can help you when you make the changes
-save up and have everything done all at once and tow it to have shop tune it for you
Old 03-19-2019, 12:49 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the quick response. It looks like the best option would be to buy a tuner. How hard is it for someone who has never tuned before?
Old 03-19-2019, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

that depends on how well you understand and how much reading on the material. theres plenty of stickies/FAQS on this forum under the pcm and diagnostic section for you to read up on as well as the forums of the tuning software to get more info and knowledge.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 176 Likes on 107 Posts

Make sure you get the PRO version, and a wideband O2. There is a lot to learn with tuning, but we are here to help you if you get stuck. I was where you were years ago, but now I'm a proficient tuner. Experience is obviously the best teacher, and it's more of an art than a method set in stone. For various tasks, there are set ways everyone does it like MAF or VE or spark even, but for other things, there might be 10 different ways to get the same result. It's definitely worth the money and will save you money in the end if you are serious about modding cars. Plus you get lots of beer out of the deal if your friends want to do **** to their cars. I have done a ton of work on other peoples cars right out of my garage, then went out and knocked out the tune right after. Remember to charge them at least $100 because credits aren't free lol.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:08 PM
Teching In

Thanks ChopperDoc. Sorry I didn’t read your post sooner I just ordered the regular hp tuner before coming over to see if there were any new post. Thanks again for your post it makes me feel a lot better about getting involved in tuning. I’m sure I’ll be spending a lot of time here over the next few months trying to get this Camaro going.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have questions about the gear swap change in HP tuner let me know I just did mine. The TCC is a little more involved, I'm trying to get some help with question on my TCC tune but my changes helped.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Made this guide and finally got it finished today. Saw a lot of folks struggling out there, and most of the guides I've found have been incomplete or missing some things. Looks like I have an idea of what to do next... I was actually planning to do the MAF next, but maybe I'll do one on transmissions. There are a TON of ways to set those up, so it should be interesting.

Let me know if this is helpful and I'll try and make some more in the future...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAQh...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-24-2019, 07:56 AM
Teching In

The video was great. Lots of info and I like that you can actually see the screen while you are tuning. A lot of videos have a side view and you can’t see what’s going on. I will definitely use this when I get to working on the car. Also I was able to get hp tuners to stop my order and got the pro version instead.

Old 03-24-2019, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

The PRO version allows for use of a Wide Band (WB), or any other 5v input for that matter (like fuel pressure or trans pressure). Definitely worth the few extra bucks to add that capability. Without being able to use a WB, it's very difficult to do a proper tune (if not impossible), and you will be glad for the upgrade. The normal HP tuners is more for guys not doing full tunes for minor mods, that kind of thing. Still very useful, but if you want to do it right the PRO version with WB is the way to go.

Glad you liked the video and that it was helpful. I will make some more in the future for tuning other things and performing specific tasks.