Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blue Smoke/White Plugs/Milky Oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 08:38 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Blue Smoke/White Plugs/Milky Oil

So 4 years ago I decided to swap a RX7. Longgg story short, the motor I bought was a lemon. I parted the build, and bought a my 99 camaro SS, which I just got back together.

The build:
1999 Camaro SS 6 spd
PRC 225 62cc as cast heads
TSP Tsunami cam (235/240)
ARP head studs/MLS gaskets
LS7 lifters
TSP hardened pushrods
LS6 Intake
LS3 injectors
SBE 63,XXX original miles

I DID NOT START IT PRIOT TO HAVING IT TUNED

On Saturday, I paid a tuner to come out and put a base tune on the car so i could put some miles on it to break in the clutch/make sure everything is functioning properly. Once he left I drove it roughly 60 miles, or one hour. No issues, car definitely felt laggy, but I knew he had tuned it conservatively for the time being. It held temp, good oil pressure, no codes. Then we started smelling oil. Got the car home, and noticed the car had blue smoke billowing out from the driver's side collector when I gave it throttle, but NOT the passenger side. (the car does not have full exhaust currently, but does have turndowns that protrude ~3' out from the collector.

Tonight I pulled plugs. #1/3/5 plugs were ghost white. #7 was a little wet, maybe slightly oily, but not bad. Then I noticed the oil underneath the driver's side valve cover is milky - but the oil in the pan is clean (i put fresh oil in before getting it tuned).

The valve stem seals have already been replaced from the RX7 build (it was pooling oil on top of the valves on the driver's side), and I doubt such low hour heads have guide issues?

Help me understand what I'm looking at here - after finding the milky oil, Im starting to think head gasket, but the oil in the pan is clean?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by 93Rat; 05-19-2019 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

White plugs - can you post a picture of each plug for the folks that are good at reading plugs?

White spark plug in color or appears blistered, from what I understand that means something is making the plug run too hot. What heat range plugs?

Suggests engine's cooling (head gasket) a lean fuel mixture or incorrect ignition timing (tune).

I think in some cases oil can cause a white appearance too. What type of valve seals were installed? Some of them are marginal.

Pictures might help
Old 05-20-2019, 06:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 441 Likes on 336 Posts

Maybe number 7 injector is over fueling causing the other cylinders in that bank to become lean? no misfire detected?
Normally a valve stem seal would give you a nice puff of smoke on startup and then go away.
Like already mentioned can you post pics of the plugs? and also a pic of the milky oil under the driver side valve cover? hopefully thats just condensation from sitting
Old 05-20-2019, 06:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

PCV issue ?
Old 05-20-2019, 07:33 AM
Launching!

Plugs - tr5 NGK

Wideband was fluctuating 13.3 - 15 while cruising, ballenger wbO2

Plugs from left to right, 1/3/5/7 cylinder both pics

Old 05-20-2019, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Can you check compression on 135 and compare with 7?
if compression is pretty close I would swap injector 7 with one of the others then take it for a ride and pull the plugs again to see if the problem moved with the injector
if that does work then swap the coil and wire with another one and try again...... doubt it’s the coil cause you would defiantly feel a misfire under load but who knows.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:37 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ls7colorado
Can you check compression on 135 and compare with 7?
if compression is pretty close I would swap injector 7 with one of the others then take it for a ride and pull the plugs again to see if the problem moved with the injector
if that does work then swap the coil and wire with another one and try again...... doubt it’s the coil cause you would defiantly feel a misfire under load but who knows.
I am checking compression and leakdown tonight after work. I’ll post results this evening. I’m starting to think the white plugs are from coolant from a HG failure. Comp/leakdown should tell more.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:29 PM
Launching!

Tuner is saying the rings are probably “sticky” from the motor being pulled 3 months ago, and is suggesting I drive it?

im hesitant to drive this thing
Old 05-20-2019, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

The white plugs is defiantly not a HG leak, if there is enough coolant getting into 3 cylinder to turn the plugs white it would be smoking (ALOT of steam) and loosing coolant quickly.
An engine sitting 3 months will not make the rings stick, unless its sitting outside in a very humid environment with the valve cracked open on that cylinder.

I would still try what I posted above even if cylinder 7 reads a little lower on compression.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:49 AM
Launching!

Well it isn’t sticky rings. I’ve read headgasket failure isn’t very common with MLS gaskets - I’m praying it isn’t a cracked block or heads......

Old 05-21-2019, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

hard to tell in a black pan but oil looks normal to me?
Old 05-24-2019, 04:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Except for the gas fouling indicating a rich mixture especially on the one plug, those plugs are OK. The heat band is on the bend so the temperature range is good. Fouling is normal. The plugs should look tannish white to reddish brown.. Check the fuel system.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rednari2
Except for the gas fouling indicating a rich mixture especially on the one plug, those plugs are OK. The heat band is on the bend so the temperature range is good. Fouling is normal. The plugs should look tannish white to reddish brown.. Check the fuel system.
I have a full factory fuel system with the exception of LS3 injectors. Tuner did base tune prior to startup with the injectors; injectors were cleaned/fully serviced and flow tested by FIC. Not really sure what to look for?

Tonight I leak down tested cylinders #5 and #7 - both tested ~10% leak down on a cold motor.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

vacuum leak ? PCV....intake gaskets....TB gaskets.....O rings on injectors........lots of potential leaks right there

and once I found my manifold bolts had loosened to hand tight....WTF !!! ....leak for sure
Old 05-31-2019, 06:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
vacuum leak ? PCV....intake gaskets....TB gaskets.....O rings on injectors........lots of potential leaks right there

and once I found my manifold bolts had loosened to hand tight....WTF !!! ....leak for sure
I’ve already swapped/ruled out PCV, intake gaskets are brand new, injectors have all new o rings from FIC with no leaks....

ill check the intake bolts again but I doubt they’re loose...
Old 05-31-2019, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

HAVE you tried swapping around injectors or coils yet to see if the problem follows?
Old 05-31-2019, 09:41 AM
Launching!

HAVE you tried swapping around injectors or coils yet to see if the problem follows?
No. I don’t see how swapping injectors and coils would address coolant in the crank case/oil getting past the valve seal(s).
Old 05-31-2019, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

I dont see coolant in that oil.... atleast cant see it in the photo, every engine will get a little condensation in it (unless you live in the desert) especially under the valve cover/s.

oil getting passed the valve stem seals iss probably due to improper seal installation or bad seal....

that #7 plug looks wet with fuel, not oil.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:16 AM
Launching!

I dont see coolant in that oil.... atleast cant see it in the photo, every engine will get a little condensation in it (unless you live in the desert) especially under the valve cover/s.

oil getting passed the valve stem seals iss probably due to improper seal installation or bad seal....

that #7 plug looks wet with fuel, not oil.
That oil has ~50 miles on it. I’m losing coolant, and the heads had milkshake pooling around the guides when I pulled valve covers on both sides, and milkshake in the crank case when I drained it - the light in the pic is difficult to analyze. I’m also losing coolant when it runs.

valve seals were replaced on both heads with seals from tsp (PRC heads) and #7 is the only plug that looks that way. Car is smoking out the garage at idle with blue smoke pouring from driver’s side collector and smelling like a weed eater. It hangs on your clothes afterwards.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:29 AM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Sounds like a bad day. I do not think you are going to avoid a tear down.

This would be a stretch, but MAYBE waterpump leak and front cover leaking so coolant gets into oil that way? But I kind of doubt it.

I suspect you have a crack at the valve seal that is reaching the coolant jacket.