LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT-4, motor and trans out, what now?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 05:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default LT-4, motor and trans out, what now?

Turns out my cyl. 1 noise was rod bearing. We pulled the motor and trans (cuz you have too). Car only has 57k miles, so its strange, but now im going to rebuild the motor and put a new clutch in while the trans is out.

It has excellent oil pressure, and I only run Castrol Synthetic, so im puzzled! Would a higher volume pump be a good idea? Was this an issue on these motors?

If I remember right the dual mass delete is as simple as getting LT-1 Camaro clutch parts correct?

Im going to go with bigger cam and long tubes, but I dont want to go crazy, so thats about it besides the obvious (for me), new pistons and rings (11:1 most likely), valve springs, seals and all new gaskets. The crank is likely turnable, so ill keep it and the rods since both are forged in these no?

Is it still a good idea to get rid of the sodium valves even if they look fine?
Old 06-24-2019, 11:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Sodium valves? Is this an LT4?
Old 06-25-2019, 12:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NewOrleansLT1
Sodium valves? Is this an LT4?
Yes sir, that's why I put that in the title... =)
Old 06-25-2019, 10:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Gen2-LT4
Would a higher volume pump be a good idea? Was this an issue on these motors?

If I remember right the dual mass delete is as simple as getting LT-1 Camaro clutch parts correct?

The crank is likely turnable, so ill keep it and the rods since both are forged in these no?

Is it still a good idea to get rid of the sodium valves even if they look fine?
HV oil pumps are used if you machine a "slightly" wider bearing clearance. This allows for a thicker oil wedge between bearing and journal. Often 20-50 or 10-40 oil is spec by builder for those builds

the rods & crank are not forged but very good. Crank can be turned .010 under and rods can be resized and fitted with ARP fasteners

If valves are still good the machine shop can lap them. Get new valve springs

Not sure if the DM flywheel can be resurfaced but you can replace it with a standard LT1 FW and then run a sprung hub disc clutch

DM FW LT4 used a solid disc vs sprung
Old 06-25-2019, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ******
HV oil pumps are used if you machine a "slightly" wider bearing clearance. This allows for a thicker oil wedge between bearing and journal. Often 20-50 or 10-40 oil is spec by builder for those builds
This car is low mileage and well kept, Castrol synthetic oil. My concern is that the #1 rod is the last to receive oil so I suspect a lubrication failure, not abuse that caused the spun bearing. I dont want to rebuild this thing only to have this happen again so I need to nail down the cause 100%.

the rods & crank are not forged but very good. Crank can be turned .010 under and rods can be resized and fitted with ARP fasteners
The rod did not show any heat discoloration (it shouldnt have anyways as the bearing only rotated slightly, it did not "spin") there is no obvious damage to the big end so I do intend to re-use both.

If valves are still good the machine shop can lap them. Get new valve springs
I understand this, my question was should the valves be replaced since they are hollow intake, sodium exhaust. I had heard rumors they were prone to failure. If I put solid stainless in there im not gaining anything but durability, as they will be much heavier requiring stronger springs. The only benefit is if I get under cut stems and I dont even know if these heads will like that all that much. The cam will be relatively mild by comparison to my LSA motor, so maybe?

Not sure if the DM flywheel can be resurfaced but you can replace it with a standard LT1 FW and then run a sprung hub disc clutch
Yeah im 0% interested in leaving that heavy lump in there. If the only conversion part is a single mass LT-1 flywheel then im there!

DM FW LT4 used a solid disc vs sprung
So ordering a complete clutch assembly, (flywheel, disk, pressure plate assembly) for say a 96 Camaro LT-1 is all I need to do? No issues with clutch slave or T/O bearing?
Old 06-25-2019, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

**EDIT I'm an idiot, ignore my post**

Last edited by biketopia; 06-25-2019 at 01:54 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:51 PM
TECH Veteran

This car is low mileage and well kept, Castrol synthetic oil. My concern is that the #1 rod is the last to receive oil so I suspect a lubrication failure, not abuse that caused the spun bearing. I dont want to rebuild this thing only to have this happen again so I need to nail down the cause 100%.

The rod did not show any heat discoloration (it shouldnt have anyways as the bearing only rotated slightly, it did not "spin") there is no obvious damage to the big end so I do intend to re-use both.

I understand this, my question was should the valves be replaced since they are hollow intake, sodium exhaust. I had heard rumors they were prone to failure. If I put solid stainless in there im not gaining anything but durability, as they will be much heavier requiring stronger springs. The only benefit is if I get under cut stems and I dont even know if these heads will like that all that much. The cam will be relatively mild by comparison to my LSA motor, so maybe?

Yeah im 0% interested in leaving that heavy lump in there. If the only conversion part is a single mass LT-1 flywheel then im there!

So ordering a complete clutch assembly, (flywheel, disk, pressure plate assembly) for say a 96 Camaro LT-1 is all I need to do? No issues with clutch slave or T/O bearing?
You can run a higher pressure spring in a stock pump. Many do this. I can't remember if this spring is white or pink but it is not the color of the stock pump spring

IDK if the sodium filled valves are any more prone to failure that solids. Their intent is to reduce valve train weight. 11/32 valve stem is stock size I have Ferra solid valves in my ported LT1 heads 2.02/1.60 FWIW. Get the Lunati spring kit for LT1 73925K5

Yes a stock LT1 FW & clutch kit is plug & play. The clutch will come with a new T.O. bearing. It is advised to replace pilot bearing on clutch swaps also
Old 06-28-2019, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

Just a quick update:

ONLY rod #1 was spun, but ALL rod bearings were in bad shape. All mains looked pretty good. The cylinders dont look great but the piston skirts all still show machining marks. So definitely oil starvation issues (possibly before me?). Drivers side freeze plug with the oiling hole in it is cocked a bit sideways, not sure if this had any effect.

That weird harmonic pulley hub thats balanced has severe seal grooves, is there a better option? Its balanced so im not sure if it has to be mounted to the damper pulley in a proper orientation?
Old 06-28-2019, 02:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Just a quick update:

That weird harmonic pulley hub thats balanced has severe seal grooves, is there a better option? Its balanced so im not sure if it has to be mounted to the damper pulley in a proper orientation?
Replace the hub, ideally with a keyed hub. The "damper" would be neutral balanced. If its the original replace both damper and hub
Old 07-01-2019, 11:14 AM
On The Tree

Replace the hub, ideally with a keyed hub. The "damper" would be neutral balanced. If its the original replace both damper and hub
Do you know which keyed applications will have the same pulley?
Old 07-01-2019, 11:23 AM
TECH Veteran

what car/year we talking about this LT4 is?

hub depth between F, B & Y body motors are different as the accessory brackets are diffrent
Old 07-02-2019, 09:59 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

OP, make your life easy and since the engine is apart, have the rotating assy. internally balanced so your flywheel/flexplate and damper can be neutral.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Oil pump advice - don't bother with a HV pump. Numerous reasons:
1) takes more power to turn with no real benefit
2) is taller than std volume pump, drops pickup 1/8 - 3/16" lower and reduces pickup to pan clearance in a stock pan (restricting oil flow into the pump)
3) sucks the sump dry faster than oil can return (crank/rod big end oil starvation)
4) more pressure is what you can really benefit from. GM 'white' spring is part # 3848911.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

what car/year we talking about this LT4 is?

hub depth between F, B & Y body motors are different as the accessory brackets are diffrent
Sorry, I thought the LT-4 was 96 Corvette exclusive? What else were they used in?

Originally Posted by SS RRR
OP, make your life easy and since the engine is apart, have the rotating assy. internally balanced so your flywheel/flexplate and damper can be neutral.
Yeah if thats all that is needed to run a standard keyed damper im IN! Its going to be ballanced and blue printed anyways! What pulley/damper will I need?

Originally Posted by Gojira94
Oil pump advice - don't bother with a HV pump. Numerous reasons:
1) takes more power to turn with no real benefit
2) is taller than std volume pump, drops pickup 1/8 - 3/16" lower and reduces pickup to pan clearance in a stock pan (restricting oil flow into the pump)
3) sucks the sump dry faster than oil can return (crank/rod big end oil starvation)
4) more pressure is what you can really benefit from. GM 'white' spring is part # 3848911.
Sounds good, thanks!
Old 07-03-2019, 07:57 PM
Village Troll

If it’s internally balanced then a keyed hub is not necessary. You can most likely run a stock damper depending on your RPM level. I think Jegs sells a damper that is relatively inexpensive. Search “LT1 damper” on their site.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SS RRR
If it’s internally balanced then a keyed hub is not necessary. You can most likely run a stock damper depending on your RPM level. I think Jegs sells a damper that is relatively inexpensive. Search “LT1 damper” on their site.
The pulley is what concerns me, since they are mated together, no?
Old 07-04-2019, 10:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Sorry, I thought the LT-4 was 96 Corvette exclusive? What else were they used in?

I know the LT4 was in the Vette, if you are putting it in a F body than you need the hub for F-body as hub depth for the LT1 is different for the B,F & Y (vette) body cars

Just buy a keyed hub for a LT1 F body since your hub is scored. If the damper that bolts to the hub is original or has 100k mi on it than just replace it with a new hub & damper (aka balancer)

the hub & damper on LT1 & LT4 motors are already "neutral" balanced. If your motor is being rebuilt than it likely will be a "internal" balanced motor which means you need to buy a new "neutral, aka zero, balanced FW or flexplate as stock LT1/4 motors are "externally" balanced from the rear. You can have a stock LT1/4 FW or flexplate neutral balanced at a machine shop typically for around $40-$50 if you want to reuse your existing one
Old 07-04-2019, 11:40 AM
Village Troll

The pulley is what concerns me, since they are mated together, no?
Is the pulley a smaller diameter than the pulley? I used to have an underdrive pulley that was an interference fit over the damper. I think it was made by Mallory. The belt fit around the U/D pulley and the damper sat on the outside. In ether case, just get rid of it and get a stock/ish damper.
Old 07-06-2019, 11:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

In '97, the LT4 was a very expensive option in the F-body.

Old 07-07-2019, 06:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ACE, love seeing that video every time, great piece of history

Quick Reply: LT-4, motor and trans out, what now?