Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

D1sc and 11:5 compression good idea ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 03:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default D1sc and 11:5 compression good idea ?

I picked up an used proCharger D1sc for my trans am with an 11:5 -383 ls1 , I was thinking it should be safe @8 -10 psi on pump 93 , I have an tsp bald eagle boost cam from another project that I think I’m going to install, Should I run an water/meth kit ? I was thinking I should run an 4-4.25 pulley , my car has an return style fuel system and id850 injectors already. I do have e85 local to me , but would rather not have to depend on it unless I have to. Also what is an good cheap front mount inner cooler I could make work I found an cx racing one on eBay wondering if anyone had any luck with

Old 07-16-2019, 06:12 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

I assume you got the tune sorted out on this 383? 11.5:1 is up there for 10 psi and 93 octane, but being a centrifugal you can probably get away with it. Meth would be your friend in helping keep it alive. Need someone who can tune it to avoid it killing itself. Any of the large FMIC's on Ebay would be fine for your build, such as a 31x12x3. If you want to spend more money there are several vendors that make higher quality ones with less pressure drop for $$$$.
The following users liked this post:
Rickys2003svt.cobra (07-17-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 12:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

E85 for sure. "Depending" on a meth kit to save your motor is a much bigger stretch than "depending" on E85. Not sure what you mean by depending on E85 either, if you mean the fluctuations in content those have only a very very small effect on octane and knock resistance. Anything above E50 should not require a tune change.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:30 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by blackdak318
E85 for sure. "Depending" on a meth kit to save your motor is a much bigger stretch than "depending" on E85. Not sure what you mean by depending on E85 either, if you mean the fluctuations in content those have only a very very small effect on octane and knock resistance. Anything above E50 should not require a tune change.
I meant I didn’t really want to run e85 unless I had to , I have a few stations near me ,
Old 07-17-2019, 07:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Ebay intercoolers work but for $150-250 more you can get a Treadstone which is measurably better. Yeah, it's not Precision, Bell, or Garrett but the company answers phone / emails and is headquartered in the US. My friend ordered one from them and after a SNAFU (they didn't have any in stock) they made him "high priority", built him the IC, and gave him a discount to make up for the mistake on their end. Good customer support IMO. Google "CXRacing vs Treadstone" and read up. Not saying that people haven't pushed the Ebay intercoolers into the 8's and 9's but for a bit more money you can get an IC that is the "middle ground" between the low end and high end IC's and has models that I've seen on 8 and even 7 second cars.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...adstone-2.html

If I had E85 locally I'd run that. Unfortunately, the nearest station is over 45 minutes away.Do you plan on driving the car long distance and that's why you're thinking of pump gas and meth?

Last edited by JosephIV; 07-17-2019 at 07:27 AM.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Go E85 for sure unless you're willing to potentially scrap that motor due to bad distribution or failed meth pump, etc. If you have it locally, E85 is a no brainer IMO.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by blackdak318
Go E85 for sure unless you're willing to potentially scrap that motor due to bad distribution or failed meth pump, etc. If you have it locally, E85 is a no brainer IMO.
That’s what I was thinking, using pump e85 , what fuel pump should I run? I’m not sure what’s in the tank now the car was supercharged when I bought it , will my id850s be enough injectors for 8-10 pounds and e85?
Old 07-20-2019, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Yep, it'll work just fine. Our TBSS' stock LS2 (w/LS9 cam) eats it up boost like it is going out of style. It is making 6psi on the daily through a wastegate, and pullied for about 12psi on full send. I use propane injection instead of meth/water. Max timing is 13*... ramping in from 10* at MBT.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It seems that e85 is not convient for you. With that said, you may want to consider 50/50 water/meth. After that It’s all in the tune! With the cam you have picked it’s only 2.5* of overlap. I’d be caustious of the window of tuning. 8- 10 lbs is not a big flag but no one wants to pop with high iat & combustion chamber temps. IF .... you can get a tuner to help with pulling timing when iats reach Xxx, & you can prevent knock ( should the pump decide to take a ****) then pump gas & meth (. 50/50) is a good option for safety tuning. this all relies on your computer making adjustments quickly. Obviously this makes you reliant on the pump working as it should (& a good meth system usually does). It’s all about the combustion chamber.

DD seems to have a firim grasp on this direction, maybe he can weigh in on some tuning tips.

For me, ( a novice) short of-changing heads, I would have a professional spec a cam that pays atttention to the combustion chamber. Maybe more overlap to acomodate the higher compression & the ramifications that follow ?