Sponsored by:

Surface rust in valve chambers and valves

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 09:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Surface rust in valve chambers and valves

These are the valves

I had already completed it but just wanna make sure its ok to spray lubricant and sand away the surface rust. It was mainly around the top of valve chamber where the valves up
My friend gave me a set of 862 heads with surface rust in valve chambers and valves have surface rust on them. Is it ok to spray these with liquid wrench or wd40 and use sandpaper to clean this up? I would also clean and sand the bottom of heads too.(where it attaches to the block). I'm trying to avoid spending money and want to learn as well..

Last edited by 86CAMARO400HP; 07-20-2019 at 09:38 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:00 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,688 Likes on 2,244 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

For a super cheap fix, I’d chuck up the valves in a drill press, if you have one, and using 600-800 grit sand paper with mineral spirits, or WD-40 on it, lightly polish the valves. They will clean up like new. Make sure you lightly, REPEAT, lightly chuck up the valves. Too much pressure from the chuck will imprint the valve stems and ruin them. I use a modified brass valve guide to hold my valves in my drill press, but you can do this without anything if you do it super easy.
For the valve seats in the heads, use a brass wire wheel in a hand drill. You can get the brass wire wheels (small ones) at Harbor Freight. Not a lot of pressure is needed here either usually. WD-40 will make a great cleaner and lube here. When everything is clean, lap the valves back in and number them on the bottom side to make sure you install them back on the seat you lapped them to. Pretty simple process all-in-all and you’ll have a fun learning experience at the same time.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Che70velle
For a super cheap fix, I’d chuck up the valves in a drill press, if you have one, and using 600-800 grit sand paper with mineral spirits, or WD-40 on it, lightly polish the valves. They will clean up like new. Make sure you lightly, REPEAT, lightly chuck up the valves. Too much pressure from the chuck will imprint the valve stems and ruin them. I use a modified brass valve guide to hold my valves in my drill press, but you can do this without anything if you do it super easy.
For the valve seats in the heads, use a brass wire wheel in a hand drill. You can get the brass wire wheels (small ones) at Harbor Freight. Not a lot of pressure is needed here either usually. WD-40 will make a great cleaner and lube here. When everything is clean, lap the valves back in and number them on the bottom side to make sure you install them back on the seat you lapped them to. Pretty simple process all-in-all and you’ll have a fun learning experience at the same time.
I already cleaned them up with liquid wrench and sandpaper. They looked worse than the picture above.( I should have taken the before shots)Should I hit them with the brass wire wheel also?

I do not have a drill press but I'll find a away to complete the task.

I mistakenly already took the valves out without numbering.. Is this a problem?

Can I use a regular nozzle hose pipe to wash everything off after cleaning?

What method should I use to clean the bottom side to attach to the block?

Last edited by 86CAMARO400HP; 07-20-2019 at 10:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rodney Wesling (06-11-2024)
Old 07-20-2019, 10:31 PM
ModSquad

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by 86CAMARO400HP
I do not have a drill press but I'll find a away to complete the task.

I mistakenly already took the valves out without numbering.. Is this a problem?

Can I use a regular nozzle hose pipe to wash everything off after cleaning?

What method should I use to clean the bottom side to attach to the block?
If you don’t have a drill press, use a hand drill for the valves, and maybe set the drill up in a vice?

No problem. Number them after you’ve lapped them back in.

Yes sir, just dry them quickly, and get some oil, not WD-40, on them. Oil the stems as you re-install the valves into the guide.

Deck surface looks pretty clean from the pics. No real good way to do this your self, but I’ve seen guys on forums use a large sanding block, like what you’d sand bodywork with, and a 300 grit paper. I don’t recommend this. I’d use a machine shop and spend the $100 or whatever to make sure they are flat. Your call on that one. If you do it your self, buy some copper spray from the local parts store for gaskets, and spray the head gaskets at time of install.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:46 PM
TECH Regular

If you don’t have a drill press, use a hand drill for the valves, and maybe set the drill up in a vice?

Yes sir, just dry them quickly, and get some oil, not WD-40, on them. Oil the stems as you re-install the valves into the guide.

Deck surface looks pretty clean from the pics. No real good way to do this your self, but I’ve seen guys on forums use a large sanding block, like what you’d sand bodywork with, and a 300 grit paper. I don’t recommend this. I’d use a machine shop and spend the $100 or whatever to make sure they are flat. Your call on that one. If you do it your self, buy some copper spray from the local parts store for gaskets, and spray the head gaskets at time of install.
Cool. I think you replied before I revised my thread but I added this :

I already cleaned them up with liquid wrench and sandpaper. They looked worse than the picture above.( I should have taken the before shots)Should I hit them with the brass wire wheel also?
Old 07-20-2019, 11:06 PM
ModSquad

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by 86CAMARO400HP
Cool. I think you replied before I revised my thread but I added this :

Im guessing your referring to the valve seats. The seats must remain concentric. It’s a must that they are perfectly round, so be careful when sanding on them. I’d wire wheel them with a brass wheel if your doing it yourself. They will clean up like new. The lapping process is mandatory after the valves and seats are cleaned to give them each a new matching surface to “marry” to.
A brass wire wheel that’s 2” in diameter will be perfect to work in and out of the seat. Should only take a few strokes and they will look like new. Brass is soft enough that the seat material won’t be harmed, only cleaned.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:30 PM
TECH Regular

Im guessing your referring to the valve seats. The seats must remain concentric. It’s a must that they are perfectly round, so be careful when sanding on them. I’d wire wheel them with a brass wheel if your doing it yourself. They will clean up like new. The lapping process is mandatory after the valves and seats are cleaned to give them each a new matching surface to “marry” to.
A brass wire wheel that’s 2” in diameter will be perfect to work in and out of the seat. Should only take a few strokes and they will look like new. Brass is soft enough that the seat material won’t be harmed, only cleaned.

This is what I'm talking about here. I guess it is called a valve seat. All the valve seats look like this now after using liquid wrench and lightly using sandpaper listed in the picture below. I scrubbed the deck I believe is called lightly the same way and took a hose pipe too it and dried them off.

Old 07-21-2019, 01:33 PM
ModSquad

LS1Tech 10 Year

Yes, those are valve seats. They look decent. I see a little bit of rust left. Again, the brass wire wheels will remove it all with ease and not harm them, while cleaning the seats to a nice finish as well. Keep it up. You’ll have a clean set of heads before you know it.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:13 PM
TECH Regular

Yes, those are valve seats. They look decent. I see a little bit of rust left. Again, the brass wire wheels will remove it all with ease and not harm them, while cleaning the seats to a nice finish as well. Keep it up. You’ll have a clean set of heads before you know it.

Hit them with the brass wheel today and cleaned them up again.

This is how rusty the valves are. This is the before shot. I hit them with wd40 and a stainless wire wheel from harbor freight

This is how rusty the valves are. This is the before shot. I hit them with wd40 and a stainless wire wheel from harbor freight

This is the after shot. Are they good enough to reuse?

This is the after shot. Are they good enough to reuse?
Old 07-21-2019, 09:06 PM
ModSquad

LS1Tech 10 Year

Yessir. Clean everything up really well. If you have a laundry type sink, or a good cast iron sink...and your wife won’t kill you...bring the heads in and use some good hot water and Dawn dishwashing liquid soap. Scrub the pee out of them to remove any dust and debris. Get them out when your done and dry them quickly, concentrating on the seats. Get some light oil on the seats and keep them clean. Maybe bag them until you assemble them to keep dust off.
Same with valves. Scrub them with hot water and Dawn soap. Dry them and get oil on them quick.
Are the valve guides rusty?
Old 07-21-2019, 09:23 PM
TECH Regular

Yessir. Clean everything up really well. If you have a laundry type sink, or a good cast iron sink...and your wife won’t kill you...bring the heads in and use some good hot water and Dawn dishwashing liquid soap. Scrub the pee out of them to remove any dust and debris. Get them out when your done and dry them quickly, concentrating on the seats. Get some light oil on the seats and keep them clean. Maybe bag them until you assemble them to keep dust off.
Same with valves. Scrub them with hot water and Dawn soap. Dry them and get oil on them quick.
Are the valve guides rusty?

If any maybe a touch inside but nothing like the valves

If any maybe a touch inside but nothing like the valves
Old 07-21-2019, 09:33 PM
ModSquad

LS1Tech 10 Year

You’ll want to get the rust/debris out of the guide. That will cause stem wear and/or a stuck valve. Use something like a Q-Tip with some WD-40 on it and see if the insides are clean or not. Everything must be clean.
Do you have any lapping compound, to lap the valves with?
Old 07-21-2019, 09:52 PM
TECH Regular

You’ll want to get the rust/debris out of the guide. That will cause stem wear and/or a stuck valve. Use something like a Q-Tip with some WD-40 on it and see if the insides are clean or not. Everything must be clean.
I will work on the guides tomorrow. What type of compound should I use to lap valves? Im waiting on the valve seals to come in.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:36 PM
TECH Regular

Valve guides cleaned
Old 07-22-2019, 06:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,399 Posts

Get some Permatex valve grinding compound from the local parts store. Look up some videos on how to do this if your not sure and if your a first timer don't use a drill. Buy a hand lapping tool as this is the best way to this IMO.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:23 PM
11 Second Club

For the valves I'll wrap some tape around the valve stems so I don't damage them when using a drill. Don't crank down on them too hard as you risk damaging the stems and I also like to use the purple abrasive pads with White Diamond metal polish to clean and polish the valves.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
Get some Permatex valve grinding compound from the local parts store. Look up some videos on how to do this if your not sure and if your a first timer don't use a drill. Buy a hand lapping tool as this is the best way to this IMO.

Ok. Yea I seen the lil suction cup tool thingy on youtube video. Well I hope these valves work. Its about the best that can be done i think
Old 07-22-2019, 06:47 PM
11 Second Club

Oh they'll work but with some more work on them they can look almost good as new. I saw on youtube where this guy went as far as to wet sand the valves to polish them up.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
Oh they'll work but with some more work on them they can look almost good as new. I saw on youtube where this guy went as far as to wet sand the valves to polish them up.

On the valves im using a stainless steel wire wheel. I was thinking I may grind them down to far. Im basically placing the valves in a regular hand drill turning them and using the dewalt at the same time