Sponsored by:

Gen 3 Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2024, 11:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gen 3 Rebuild

Hello Forum,

A couple of months ago I purchased a high mileage 5.3 long block with 706 heads from a guy on fb market place turns out its the 99-06 year. While I have this engine torn apart are there any upgrades I can do to gain power. Is there a specify ls cam, piston or etc that I could grab from a different type ls?

What are you guys running for main bearing / rod bearings?? Are the ENGINETECHBC409J any good?

Old 05-13-2024, 08:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,841 Likes on 1,325 Posts

I've used Clevite P-Series bearings for stock and H-Series for forged internals. You want to make more horsepower without boring and stroking then look at building more compression. I would get away from the small bore heads and look to the 243's/799's and if in the budget then get them ported. Buy a FAST 92 intake and a decent 92MM throttle body to go along with a custom ground camshaft maybe a Stage 2 or 3 and then look at getting some 1-7/8" long tube headers.

Basically build a bigger air pump.
The following 2 users liked this post by 01CamaroSSTx:
2ToeRacing (05-22-2024), DualQuadDave (05-22-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 09:43 PM
Launching!

Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts

You should probably provide a power goal and a budget. Then folks here can probably advise.

There's a TON of aftermarket cams out there. All a bit different from mild to wild. Why do you want to stay with like an OEM from a different engine? What is the engine going into? Are you daily driving or going to be a cruiser? Or a dedicated track rig? Transmission, torque converter stall speed, gear ratio, and tire size all need to be considered for cam selection, as well as head flow parameters

I've used King main bearings and the Summit Racing brand for rod bearings. Durabond for cam bearings. These are for daily driver vehicles... I'm barely learning the craft of engine building. Lot's of folks here with a lot of experience, especially with the high performance and racing world.
The following 2 users liked this post by strutaeng:
2ToeRacing (05-22-2024), G Atsma (05-13-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 08:18 PM
Teching In

Ok cool I see Rockauto has the Clevite P series for $100 bucks thats not too bad. Most of the search results I came across on google were leaning towards the GM brand main bearings but the posts were decades old.
I have already had all the work done on the block. The machine shop was able hone the block, change the cam bearings and polish the crankshaft. And surprisingly it can use std size bearings. My plans were to do the bearings, rings and valve seals. But wanted to add more power if I could spend a couple of bucks on a cam that wont require me to modify the heads.

Old 05-14-2024, 10:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by strutaeng
You should probably provide a power goal and a budget. Then folks here can probably advise.

There's a TON of aftermarket cams out there. All a bit different from mild to wild. Why do you want to stay with like an OEM from a different engine? What is the engine going into? Are you daily driving or going to be a cruiser? Or a dedicated track rig? Transmission, torque converter stall speed, gear ratio, and tire size all need to be considered for cam selection, as well as head flow parameters

I've used King main bearings and the Summit Racing brand for rod bearings. Durabond for cam bearings. These are for daily driver vehicles... I'm barely learning the craft of engine building. Lot's of folks here with a lot of experience, especially with the high performance and racing world.
I was told that I could swap in a cam from a L33 ?? and that would significantly boost hp. The engine is going into a G-body that has a 700r4. Will be a weekend cruiser street only. May hit the track once or twice. Gear ratio right now is 2.XX im guessing..This car originally had a v6 I swapped everything to a 305/700r4 except the rearend. I have the factory headers/manifold that came with the truck.
Old 05-14-2024, 10:39 PM
Teching In

Do they make more than 1 type of main bearing?? Im looking at the originals that came off the block and it looks to be 1 oil hole in the bearing. When I look at the replacement on Rockauto they have 2?
Old 05-16-2024, 03:50 PM
11 Second Club

Look up CLE-MS909P
Old 05-16-2024, 04:28 PM
Launching!

Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by LSpann

Do they make more than 1 type of main bearing?? Im looking at the originals that came off the block and it looks to be 1 oil hole in the bearing. When I look at the replacement on Rockauto they have 2?
Only the top bearing shell typically have the hole (where oil actually comes from), not the bottom shell.

I'm guessing they just put a hole on both shells so you can't screw up something and cause lubrication cut-off?
Old 05-16-2024, 05:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
Look up CLE-MS909P
I searched the cle-ms909p arent those for a 5.7 350?

Old 05-16-2024, 05:56 PM
Teching In

Yes i know that the block is upside down. My question is the number of oil holes in the top bearing. The main bearings I am looking at on Rockauto for a 99-06 ls have 3 holes vs the oem main bearings in the picture above look to only have 1.

When I removed the crankshaft I left the main bearings in place when I got the block back from the machine shop they were gone the picture above is the only memory I have
Old 05-16-2024, 06:58 PM
11 Second Club

I searched the cle-ms909p arent those for a 5.7 350?
Yes they are, it's the CLE-MS2199P that are for the LS engine.
Old 05-22-2024, 10:22 AM
Teching In

Can the main cap bolts be re-used???

If they are ok to be reused..is it ok to use engine assembly lube on the bolt threads before I torque them??

And can the side main cap bolts be re-used??
Old 05-22-2024, 03:28 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,449 Likes on 2,128 Posts

Can the main cap bolts be re-used???

If they are ok to be reused..is it ok to use engine assembly lube on the bolt threads before I torque them??

And can the side main cap bolts be re-used??
Yessir, the main bolts as well as the side main bolts can be re-used. The fasteners are TTA, or torque to angle. Torque specs…
Outers 15 ft lbs then 51 degrees
inners 15ft lbs then 80 degrees
The side cap bolts torque to 22 ft. Lbs.
Put a dab of ultra grey silicone under the heads of the small side cap bolts to seal oil. Yes, use a liberal amount of oil on the threads and under the heads of the main bolts. Make sure the threaded holes in the block are clean and free of debris and liquids. It’s a blind bolt hole and you’ll crack a block if there’s anything in the hole that’s compressible.
The following users liked this post:
2ToeRacing (05-22-2024)

Quick Reply: Gen 3 Rebuild