Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

BMR Turbo-K, BMR upper/lower control arms.....LOUD BANG when backing up......

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2024, 10:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Default BMR Turbo-K, BMR upper/lower control arms.....LOUD BANG when backing up......

So, one of my last items to rectify after my new engine install and these suspension parts went in.

When I back up and turn the wheel either way, there's a big *** bang. Like something is loading up and then letting go with a quick bang......and its friggin loud.

There is absolutely nothing we can find as damage spots, or impact spots....nothing. One time only did it do this while moving forward at maybe jogging speed when I had to hit my breaks real fast (idiot started walking across the street as the light turned gree). I heard the big *** bang as I hit the breaks.

While driving forward its all normal, never had any noise or feeling anything abnormal.

Anyone had anything like this with these installed parts?

I'm thinking its the sway bar because its the only thing that can move......

Question:
Can I remove my front sway bar and safely go for a normal city drive? Back up, turn, hit the breaks....... To see if that bang doesn't happen?
Old 06-21-2024, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 212 Likes on 186 Posts

You can drive without the sway bar but I don’t think that is going make the noise go away. When my sway bar end links were bad the sway bar would bang around when going over bumps, so it was pretty much making noise all the time.
Old 06-21-2024, 09:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Y2K_Frenzy
You can drive without the sway bar but I don’t think that is going make the noise go away. When my sway bar end links were bad the sway bar would bang around when going over bumps, so it was pretty much making noise all the time.
This noise sounds like the end of the world when it makes that bang sound.

My end links are brand new.

I noticed one day the drivers side end of the seat bar, the very tip where the end links are, was about 3-4 millimeters from my shock. Then the next time I was under the car it was maybe 3 inches away. Siting up on my front end ramps like the time before when the sway bar end was millimeters away.

It must be something that is able to move, every other part is torqued to BMR specs and they’ve all been visually checked for movement or impact damage.

We cant find anything.

Maybe a bad alignment?

I’ll remove the sway bar to see what happens. It’s all I can think of to try.
Old 06-22-2024, 09:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBoyWS6
This noise sounds like the end of the world when it makes that bang sound.

My end links are brand new.

I noticed one day the drivers side end of the seat bar, the very tip where the end links are, was about 3-4 millimeters from my shock. Then the next time I was under the car it was maybe 3 inches away. Siting up on my front end ramps like the time before when the sway bar end was millimeters away.

It must be something that is able to move, every other part is torqued to BMR specs and they’ve all been visually checked for movement or impact damage.

We cant find anything.

Maybe a bad alignment?

I’ll remove the sway bar to see what happens. It’s all I can think of to try.
How tight are the brake calipers??
Old 06-22-2024, 11:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 91 Z28
How tight are the brake calipers??
They’re good. But something loose with the brakes I would expect the noise to be with any movement. This is really only backing up while turning the steering wheel either way.

I also forgot…..I did hear it a couple times just backing out of the driveway straight and the two front tires hit that little rainwater kind of thing at the end of the driveway……going slow and it’s a tiny little bounce.

Also……if I turn the steering wheel all the way to the RIGHT it feels like the front right tire is kind of trying to hop-hop-hop-hop…… Take some steering out and it stops.

Old 06-22-2024, 11:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

I’ll get a video of it Monday. I’m certain you’ll hear the bang on my cell phone video.
Old 06-23-2024, 10:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 110 Likes on 86 Posts

Are the upper control arms installed on thier correct sides?
Old 06-23-2024, 02:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gjohnsonws6
Are the upper control arms installed on thier correct sides?
Jeez, I hope so.

Can you tell me the easiest way I can verify that?

I also have these from BMR, but they’ve been there for several years before I installed the BMR turbo-k and BMR upper/lower control arms and everything was perfectly fine.

Old 06-23-2024, 03:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 110 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBoyWS6
Jeez, I hope so.

Can you tell me the easiest way I can verify that?

I also have these from BMR, but they’ve been there for several years before I installed the BMR turbo-k and BMR upper/lower control arms and everything was perfectly fine.

Straight tube on the upper is to the rear and the bent portion to the front. I don’t know if it’s possible to assemble them on opposite sides but you never know.
Old 06-23-2024, 03:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gjohnsonws6
Straight tube on the upper is to the rear and the bent portion to the front. I don’t know if it’s possible to assemble them on opposite sides but you never know.
ok I’ll check as soon as I get home, car is up on front end ramps because I just replaced the alternator and A/C belt.

Ill check, thanks, it’s probably gonna be something simple like that.
Old Yesterday, 03:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

@gjohnsonws6,

The upper arms are on correctly. No witness marks anywhere.

Getting an alignment tomorrow. If that doesn't solve it, I'll remove the sway bar.

The following users liked this post:
gjohnsonws6 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 884 Likes on 630 Posts

My car started doing the same thing, also has the same k member. It's a ridiculously loud bang.

I don't know if it's a strut binding up or what.
Old Yesterday, 05:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Retorque your subframe / K member bolts.
Old Today, 07:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same K member and mine does the same thing. Check your control arms. My k member have witness marks like the control arms are sliding back and forth. I think the bolts and washers included are not a good design.

Quick Reply: BMR Turbo-K, BMR upper/lower control arms.....LOUD BANG when backing up......