Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1/T56 swap into previous 3.8/4L60E car

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2024, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1/T56 swap into previous 3.8/4L60E car

First post here, I have a 2001 Firebird 3.8L/4l60E I removed the engine/trans and putting a LS1/T56 from a 2000 camaro. I am almost ready to install the engine but I have a few questions about the swap.

1. Removing the 6cyl. harness from the firebird, I have about 10 wires that run from the ECU, thru the engine harness and into a junction near the drivers side fuse blocks.From there it looks like they run thru the firewall and into the interior. The camaro does not have these wires. Can anyone identify what the wires are too? I'm assuming something to do with the auto trans?

2. I am swapping out the fuel tanks between the two cars, will the firebird v6 harness hook into the v8 tank, pump, etc?

3. Is there a way hook up the anti-start switch for the clutch without tearing into the body harness?

Thanks!

4. My car has VATS Is that going to interfere with this swap?

Old 07-01-2024, 01:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,358 Posts

VATS can be diasabled so no issue there. You will have to get an engine harness for the T56 as I don't believe the ones for the automatic will work but I could be wrong there. I'm pretty sure the fuel tank harness connections are the same and the only difference was that the 3.8L has a return line that runs all the way up to the front where the V8 returned right after the fuel filter. I did an engine swap on a 99 V6 Camaro to a Gen III LQ9 and used a T56 engine harness in case I ever wanted to switch it over to a T56. I also replaced the 3.8L fuse block and harness with one from a V8 car but There's a way to wire the existing V6 harness to run a V8 and that information can be found on LS1Tech if you dig around. I have a thread on here that goes into detail about the connectors that goes through the firewall and into the interior of the car and I've attached a link to that build thread, It's a very long thread with lots of pictures and videos but starting at post 72 is where you'll find the info. Good luck with the build

https://ls1tech.com/forums/chevrolet...ffenuff-4.html
Old 07-01-2024, 01:17 PM

Thanks for the info, I have the harness from the camaro (ls1/t56 car) so I will be using that. I have been doing some digging around since I first posted this and have found some very helpful items. I will give your link a look right now. This is my first "LS" swap I have ever done.I mostly mess with carbureted small block swaps. So all this wiring is new to me.
Old 07-01-2024, 01:22 PM
11 Second Club

Also keep in mind that the V6 K member, the power steering rack and steering shaft will also have to be replaced.
Old 07-01-2024, 01:51 PM

I have the LS K member from the camaro and the t56 trans cross member. So i should hopefully have everything for the swap. The Camaro was in decent shape but the interior was trashed. I'm using whatever I can off of the camaro. I got pretty lucky and got the LS1/T56 90K mile Z28 camaro for $2800 The Firebird had a blown 3.8 (rod knock) I bought it with the intentions of doing this swap I am doing now.

Old 07-01-2024, 02:26 PM
11 Second Club

You planning on parting out the camaro?
Old 07-01-2024, 03:06 PM

I might,
Old 07-01-2024, 08:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 140 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by JSpitali
First post here, I have a 2001 Firebird 3.8L/4l60E I removed the engine/trans and putting a LS1/T56 from a 2000 camaro. I am almost ready to install the engine but I have a few questions about the swap.

1. Removing the 6cyl. harness from the firebird, I have about 10 wires that run from the ECU, thru the engine harness and into a junction near the drivers side fuse blocks.From there it looks like they run thru the firewall and into the interior. The camaro does not have these wires. Can anyone identify what the wires are too? I'm assuming something to do with the auto trans?
Probably for the electronic pedal, if I remember right those V6 Cars have DBW Throttle Body 1999-02. Take all that out and block the hole on the Firewall.

2. I am swapping out the fuel tanks between the two cars, will the firebird v6 harness hook into the v8 tank, pump, etc?
Why are you doing that? Just swap the Sending Unit in with the V8 Pump. Lines should be the same, 3/8" feed, 5/16" return, the 3rd to the EVAP.

3. Is there a way hook up the anti-start switch for the clutch without tearing into the body harness?
Depends on how you want to wire it, the Auto has the PRNDLE Switch, so you'll end up taking out all that wiring or set it aside. Find the two wires that make the car start when it's in Park or Neutral, and those are the two you want to make the Clutch N/S Switch close the circuit on.

4. My car has VATS Is that going to interfere with this swap?
Get it turned off in the tune.

I swapped a 1998 V6 Camaro with a 408ci LS & Built T56, did my own wiring. I've swapped and done wiring for a few dozen others. If you can read a schematic and know how to build some wiring it's pretty easy with these cars. T56 LS Harnesses are simple to build especially if you already have it. You can build it to plug directly into that V6 car, all the stuff is there in the Fuse Box.
Old 07-02-2024, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by the_merv
Probably for the electronic pedal, if I remember right those V6 Cars have DBW Throttle Body 1999-02. Take all that out and block the hole on the Firewall.

Why are you doing that? Just swap the Sending Unit in with the V8 Pump. Lines should be the same, 3/8" feed, 5/16" return, the 3rd to the EVAP.

Depends on how you want to wire it, the Auto has the PRNDLE Switch, so you'll end up taking out all that wiring or set it aside. Find the two wires that make the car start when it's in Park or Neutral, and those are the two you want to make the Clutch N/S Switch close the circuit on.

Get it turned off in the tune.

I swapped a 1998 V6 Camaro with a 408ci LS & Built T56, did my own wiring. I've swapped and done wiring for a few dozen others. If you can read a schematic and know how to build some wiring it's pretty easy with these cars. T56 LS Harnesses are simple to build especially if you already have it. You can build it to plug directly into that V6 car, all the stuff is there in the Fuse Box.
Yes, DBW I determined that after looking into the harness more last night.

My LS only have a supply line and the evap. I am changing the fuel lines to the tank and figured I would change the tank too? I still need to drop the tanks to compare them.

I was comparing the pin locations on the LS and the V6 front body harness that runs to the fuse box, most the pins don't match each other. is it common to have to repin them?
Old 07-02-2024, 05:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 140 Likes on 110 Posts

Yea that's right the LS stuff 99-up is single line out. I'd cut an access panel but that's me, it's simpler.
I always built the Engine Haness to line up with the pins on the car side so it was direct plug in.

Quick Reply: LS1/T56 swap into previous 3.8/4L60E car