Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Does anyone make a custom turbo kit for the G Body

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone make a custom turbo kit for the G Body

Search is not working for me right now, I was wondering if they make a Turbo kit for a G body with a LSX swap?
Old 10-07-2008, 10:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Turbo technology will do a custom kit but thats in house only. You might try getting in touch with Cal Hartline,he is one of the turbo 6 buick gods and he just did an ls1 swap with a turbo set-up. At the last LSX shootout his lsx block motor wasn't finished so he put in a stock ls1 and was running 9's. If my lil buick 6 doesn't produce what I want that will be my next step.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:22 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

We can do them in house.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Banned

where are you located?

shoot us an email on your goals and we'll see if we can help

We have built and tuned many custom single and twin system on LS based vehicles.

take a look at some of our builds

http://www.flickr.com/photos/speedin...7603178626834/
Old 10-07-2008, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
Turbo technology will do a custom kit but thats in house only. You might try getting in touch with Cal Hartline,he is one of the turbo 6 buick gods and he just did an ls1 swap with a turbo set-up. At the last LSX shootout his lsx block motor wasn't finished so he put in a stock ls1 and was running 9's. If my lil buick 6 doesn't produce what I want that will be my next step.
Yea but Cal is in Florida

I am in Bellevue NE, I wanted to do it wihen I start my 5.3l swap here next year(Winter in Nebraska so the T-Type will be in the Garage) I figure if I wait for my Turbo 6 to crap out then I will not have anything really to sell. I have supporting mods like a PTE intercooler and fuel pump with a hot wire. I figure I could ask Parish8 since he is in this area. I liked what Kentucky Turbo does with there stock Manifolds.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:45 PM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stock manifolds wont work on the g body, i would say ask parish as well since he would be able to point you in the right direction for that area. Also if you search my name there is alot of info and pics and vids are in my sig. I built a 6.0L 76mm, 4l80, GN. They should give you a good idea on what it takes
Gary
Old 10-07-2008, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Grr
The stock manifolds wont work on the g body, i would say ask parish as well since he would be able to point you in the right direction for that area. Also if you search my name there is alot of info and pics and vids are in my sig. I built a 6.0L 76mm, 4l80, GN. They should give you a good idea on what it takes
Gary
Are you on turbobuicks.com? So fliping them wont work? thats even with taking out the A/C?

Parish made his own.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a G-body with truck manifolds that I am still working on, but I had to remove the AC to get the passenger side on.

Kurt
Old 10-07-2008, 04:32 PM

I think its just a little different under the hood in a GN(t-type) then a normal G-body I guess.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:07 PM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

If you switch to a manual steering rack (like i did) you can use a truck mani on the drivers side. Otherwise no, they dont work, they sit about 1/2 way on the frame. You can point them up, but that is so ugly i would never do it. BUT, if you can find or just order a FWD 5.3 front manifold (impala ss and GP GXP) i am almost certain they will work on both sides. I made my own, twice, i have pics listed in one of my threads on a photobucket account. I still have a set of tube headers if you would like to buy them cheap, at least give you a good pass side one. I would mod the drivers if you have vacuum brakes though. Pics of those are in one of my threads too. LMK
Gary
Old 10-08-2008, 01:29 PM

PM me the "Cheap Price" yo are looking to get.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have always wanted to do a fake GN or ttype with an lsx motor and I was thinking about using the stock 6.0 truck manifold on the drivers side but just run it facing toward the back like normal and then just run a crossover pipe just like a stock turbo six does.

GRR and 427 did you guys try it this way?
Old 10-08-2008, 09:41 PM
TECH Junkie

I have truck manifolds the ugly way, upside down facing forward. I am just looking for a nice running/dependable car, it is just my parts chaser. I have the same manifolds on my truck for 82,XXX miles now, been good package.

Kurt
Old 10-13-2008, 02:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive got Grr's old kit, Im the new owner of the GN. PM me an offer if youre interested. I am currently ripping the car apart to toss it in my Mustang Notchback, but none of the turbo kit itself is gonna fit. The DP, exhaust, Hotside, Turbo, Intercooler, and piping are all available. Im just using the motor and trans

lemme know

Matt
Old 10-13-2008, 05:44 PM
Launching!

427 I am interested in pics of your Gbody with the truck manifolds the "ugly" way... I want to build a nice little TT LSX setup to replace my 3.8... My stock 200r just let go, and Im not about to drop any more money into that combo when I could spend the same money on an LSX/4l80 swap. I want to keep all accessories and A/C and Im doing my best to not have to build a set of headers if I dont have to... Seems like nothing in a GN is easy...

Also does anyone know if you can cut and weld those truck manifolds? I was thinking about using them flipped up and just welding on T4 flanges in the "right" locations. I dont know a damn thing about welding cast iron though, so I would more than likely just set it up and take it to a professional welder. I dont have any of the parts yet, so I have not seen if this will even work, but it's an idea.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:16 PM
TECH Junkie

I would not try cutting the stock manifold and welding. You could make a new manifold from the tubing that is called schedule 50 I believe, it would hold the turbo's weight.

I will try and shoot a few pictures next time I work on my wagon, its still not done....

Kurt
Old 10-14-2008, 03:27 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We have welded to the stock manifolds with great success. No cracks with tons of street driving, one vehicle has been like this for 3yrs and prob. 40k miles.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:21 PM
Launching!

Any tips for welding onto the stock manifolds? What are they made out of? We weld on the Gn's stock stainless ones all the time, but they are known for cracking so almost all stockers have been welded at one time or another.

Im thinking pretty hard about building a setup like APS offers... not sure what to call that kind of setup... It's not a rear mount like the STS, so what would it be called?

Also are there any disadvantages of an APS style kit?
Old 10-15-2008, 10:04 AM
Teching In

I've made my turbo hot kit myself with the truck mani, driver side torwards the back, pass side facing up. My welding sucks a little but it does not leak!! Turbo is sticking up and out the pass side hood but under my custom made ram air scoop. I can show some pics of you like to see but I will have to clean it up a bit. And I have welded the manifolds with ease.. Under $150 for the piping/parts, already had welding machine...

Last edited by 87MONTECARLOLSXON6'S; 10-15-2008 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:48 PM
TECH Junkie

I crack stock ones at about 30-40,000. So far I have replaced two passenger and one drivers side in 5 years 85,000 miles. It might be my boost duration that makes my manifolds more likely to crack. My original 304 stainless y-pipe only lasted about 12,000 miles before it cracked the first time, and the repair only got me another 5,000. I am looking forward to the Malibu being easier on parts.

Kurt
Originally Posted by hellbents10
We have welded to the stock manifolds with great success. No cracks with tons of street driving, one vehicle has been like this for 3yrs and prob. 40k miles.

Quick Reply: Does anyone make a custom turbo kit for the G Body