Single Digit Club Running 9s or quicker? Damn!

what tranny to run 9s?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007 | 05:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 396D1SS
my mcleod twin disk is still holding strong?
You are still running an M6?? What are you running right now 1/4??
Old 06-29-2007 | 12:32 PM
Launching!

Ive had 3 4L60E'S , A Built TH400 and now a LEVEL 4 Gear Star 4L80E and it is worth every penny. The weight addition is 62lbs's over a 4L60 with converter. As for the computer there are a few options:
1. I run a compushift unit with full automatic and manual options with a digital hand held programmer / monitor display with complete instant line pressure adjustability and option to swith from full manual to full automatic control instantly. Everything is easy to program and you can do away with every guage in your dash if you want as the display shows:
MPH, RPM, VOLTAGE, TRANS TEMP, GEAR SELECTION ETC.... Everything but fuel level.

2. I think that HP tuners now has the ability to down load a program into your factory computer to control the 80E which would be the best option but it wasnt available when I did mine.

3. If you run a full manual trans then you need nothing but a lock-up switch for the converter.

As for the installation there is only a fitment issue when you run the electronics. Meaning with a full manual valve body there will be no cutting or banging it just fits right in. If you run electronis there is 1 area that needs attention for clearance for the plug on the drivers side of the tunnel. I removed the carpet from inside the car and heated the tunnel area with a torch and massaged (beat the $hit out of it) just a small area though and it was good to go.
I went a little extreme with my purchase and have everything internally for my trans either billet or cryo treated and it is warrantied to 1200hp and 2 years no questions asked. GEAR STAR / YANK BOTH GREAT SPONSORS. Total cost with the electronics/trans/converter/crossmember/trans cooler $ 5700.00 Plus 200 for custom made cooler lines from Amazon Hose.

I make 500+ fwhp and have made numerous passes with a 250 kit on top of that and the trans doesnt go over 210 degree even after 3 back to back passes.
Old 07-14-2007 | 10:08 PM
Teching In

Slush boxes are fast thats for sure. But they are gay as hell. Brake, gas, brake, gas, brake............gay. LOL. Get an M6 and then bust into the 9's and that is when you know you got skills. Lets face it everything will eventually break if you are throwing enough power at it.
Old 07-15-2007 | 12:42 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I'd go 4L80E if you want to keep overdrive (thanks for posting the difference in weights Jason), or T400 if you want to mainly focus on racing. I think you can get a 4L60E into the 9's, but if you race a lot you might end up going through one or two rebuilds a year.
Old 07-16-2007 | 04:40 PM
Launching!

no prob.
PSJ I SENT YOU A PM PLEASE REPLY WHEN YOU HAVE A MOMENT............

Quick Reply: what tranny to run 9s?