Single Digit Club Running 9s or quicker? Damn!

8 second third gen

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 06:35 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NemeSS
man, that gives me some killer motivation to finish up my project
3rd gen firebird.
if i could ask some ?? about your susp. setup.
i havea 89' bird that is a v6, 2.8 a4. i have a built turbo engine
370ci lsx 8.75 with twin 62-1 tnetics turbos for use with th400,4k stall,
i have these said parts, but i have not purchased any suspension parts till
i get some concrete info for a susp. that will hook and send me strait, also on dr's. the car is a hardtop
assuming u were building a stock car, what suspension pieces would u recommend , i have been looking at the pa racing kmember but im not sure about the a arms or coil overs, im still ill informed when it comes to susp.
i also plan on using the kit with crossmember from tci or b&m to use th400/350 on 3rd gen's would u recommend any other?
also using moser 9 in. rear end for use with tq arm.
any recommendations or advise? engine and trans will be capable of up to or over 1000hp. also will see street time.
sorry for all the q's
CONGRATS
Here's what I have. Up front is a PA kmember, tubular arms and rack and pinion conversion. I have a coil over kit from spohn. I feel it is a far better setup than PA's coil over kit. It comes with new upper strut mounts that double as the upper spring perch and reinforcement plates that bolt on from the underneath. This set up also allows the use of a 14" spring instead of a 10" to store more energy. I had a PA coil over kit on my car first and it was also kinda noisey on the street.

At the rear its pretty much all spohn. I would recomend his,bmr, umi or wolfe for a torque arm. The b&m kit still mounts the arm off the trans. With that much power you want it mounted to the chassis. The spohn unit comes with a new trans crossmember for your trans of choice that doubles as the torque arm mount. You can also get it with a ds loop built on. You will need some kind of rear antiroll bar. Many chassis companies make a drag race style antiroll bar that would require fabrication and removal of the gas tank to install. If you have a cell no biggie. Spohn and bmr for sure make a stock style bolt in unit that will get the job done. Don't forget the LCA relocation brackets as they are critical to gettting one of these cars to work, especially if the car is lowered. Shocks, springs and weight distribution also play a big role. Let me know if you have specific questions or need more help. I have been messing with the suspension on theis car for years. I'm usually underpowered for the class I'm running so I have to get the most out of what I got.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

beautiful thirdgen
Old 08-02-2007, 05:53 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Damn it is so bad *** to see so many hardcore drag third gens, makes me sleep better at night, i wanna slap anyone who calls our cars shitty, theese arent gods gift to man, but they are a bad *** desighn.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:56 PM
12 Second Club

What heads are you running on that monster???? That thing is a running MFer.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:54 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by carrsls1_camaro
What heads are you running on that monster???? That thing is a running MFer.
Out of the box AFR 227's.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rtk434
Here's what I have. Up front is a PA kmember, tubular arms and rack and pinion conversion. I have a coil over kit from spohn. I feel it is a far better setup than PA's coil over kit. It comes with new upper strut mounts that double as the upper spring perch and reinforcement plates that bolt on from the underneath. This set up also allows the use of a 14" spring instead of a 10" to store more energy. I had a PA coil over kit on my car first and it was also kinda noisey on the street.

At the rear its pretty much all spohn. I would recomend his,bmr, umi or wolfe for a torque arm. The b&m kit still mounts the arm off the trans. With that much power you want it mounted to the chassis. The spohn unit comes with a new trans crossmember for your trans of choice that doubles as the torque arm mount. You can also get it with a ds loop built on. You will need some kind of rear antiroll bar. Many chassis companies make a drag race style antiroll bar that would require fabrication and removal of the gas tank to install. If you have a cell no biggie. Spohn and bmr for sure make a stock style bolt in unit that will get the job done. Don't forget the LCA relocation brackets as they are critical to gettting one of these cars to work, especially if the car is lowered. Shocks, springs and weight distribution also play a big role. Let me know if you have specific questions or need more help. I have been messing with the suspension on theis car for years. I'm usually underpowered for the class I'm running so I have to get the most out of what I got.
thanks a mil,
i will def. heed your advice,
i want this car to hook and launch like an arrow
once again, congrats!
Old 08-25-2007, 01:18 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Out of the box AFR 227's.
Wow, ever thought about porting them???
Old 08-27-2007, 10:11 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Wow, ever thought about porting them???
They will be getting done this winter along with a cam better suited for the nitrous.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:37 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Modern Cyclinderhead in Clinton twp MI. CNC'd my Dart Pro 1's nd they flow over 320 at .700 lift. As far as I know they have the best program and prices I have found. CFE has a 23 degree program but I don't know anyone that runs that head yet.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Trust me this car is AWESOME! Most badass 3rd gen ever. Ive never seen such a clean race/street car. The holeshots it pulls are just so cool, its scary. Gotta get up with you sometime to go crusing.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:44 AM
TECH Regular

That is a nice thirdgen right there! I had a 92RS with the 3.1 in it. She was the Hawaiin Orchid 92 Anniversary color (repainted to the tune of 3 grand in 2003). I wanted to put a better motor in it but my cousin did me a favor and wrecked it, so no more thirdgen for me. I must compliment you on how clean it is! I also think it is very cool to have a streetable 9 second car. My theory is: you can have almost no limits at the track (except safety regulations), so you can build a car as fast as you want and make it rediculously fast. But, to do it with finesse, make it clean, and be able to grab a few groceries after you run down the 1320, that takes skill! Have fun with your car.
Also, it appears that you went to the track in Cecil County Maryland. I may be wrong about that, but if you did go there and pulled those times, you have even better times to catch elsewhere. I say that because I have friends that go to Cecil and they say that you cannot get a good launch at all due to all of the rubber and poor track conditions. A place such as Raceway Park in Englishtown, New Jersey is a great track from what I hear. Anyways, take care. Sorry for the long post.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Were those pictures from one of the saturday nite streetcar shootouts at cecil? Car looks familiar
Old 08-30-2007, 02:22 PM
8 Second Club

Yeah, I run most of the street car shootouts and I also test on saturdays pretty often. I will be there this saturday running MSRA unlimited drag radial.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:10 PM
7 Second Club / STF Veteran

it was nice seeing your car. did it get the headers that time when it came down?
Old 09-03-2007, 03:35 AM
On The Tree

i love hearing that.......8 sec. Third Gen. its a beautiful thing
Old 09-04-2007, 06:43 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 68maro
it was nice seeing your car. did it get the headers that time when it came down?
The headers survived. Just hit the exhaust where it drops under the trans crossmember. No big deal. Did you have problems? I didn't see you run at all.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:13 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Got mine fired up last night and we will be testing this weekend. Probably just some motor passes to seat the rings and look for any issues that may pop up.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:04 PM

The headers survived. Just hit the exhaust where it drops under the trans crossmember. No big deal. Did you have problems? I didn't see you run at all.
yeah i was the first radial car down the track in qualifing. i only got 1 pass because the motor lost oil pressure coming back the return road. it sucks too because on my only pass i left lazy as hell because i didn't know what the track was like and qualified with a 5.31 at 138.77 if i'd had known what the track was like i wouldn't have delayed the hit so long or been so conservative with the timing ramp. i've already pulled the motor out and tore it apart. the bolts backed out of the oil pump baseplate and let the gear drop. motor seems ok and will have a new pump in 1-2 days and it should be back together by this weekend.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

what is your opinion of a manual steering box? a local guy tha runs 9's with a
nitrous sbc mentioned tha he uses a steering box of a s10 or something from the 80's and late early 90's eliminates the ps i think.are u familiar? any more info
thanks
Old 09-11-2007, 08:30 PM

see jeff you were right behind me.

Quick Reply: 8 second third gen