Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Swapping SBC into LT1 F car

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 07:32 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Swapping SBC into LT1 F car

So here are some pics and update of todays fun.

This was before, i cleaned the bay up a bit before starting...

This are the areas i cut from the top. The under side was not as easy of course and i might have to lose the passenger side wiper, i am not sure till the new motor is in the car...

This was after cutting...

And denting...

This is the section removed...

The will be the new heart...

Old 10-16-2008, 07:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car pics--keep'em coming, please

Man all these pictures are greatly appreciated.Please post or pm me total progres of everything till you get it going! Keep up the good work!-- Billy
Old 10-16-2008, 09:16 PM
In-Zane Moderator

For sure, i hope to get a 400 bock sold so i have the cash to finish this month...we will see.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:31 PM
12 Second Club

Heres pic of my engine bay so you can get an idea of where things will end up. I think you are going to have to loose the wiper unless you use a carb hat thats small enough. Good luck and thanks for the pics. I can take some more pics of mine if you have any questions.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:38 PM
12 Second Club

Heres what I starded with so you can get an Idea of how much was cut on mine. The bottom of it goes all the way to the firewall.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:09 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Thanks, what kind of radiator did you use? I am going to try to use the stock unit. Also am going to use the stock serpantine system with a electric water pump, i hope there is room for the WP to clear the dual fans, i am sure there is since they sell them for LT1s. I will be sing a carb hat to keep water out of the engine and allow usage of the wipers. I was going to use only the driver side but i cannot figgure out how to make it work. How is it getting the HEI distributor in and out?
Old 10-16-2008, 10:24 PM
In-Zane Moderator

I just bought this, i think it is a bit too yall for the wiper but there is one way to find out. Since it is aluminum, my buddy might be able to indent a spot for the wiper piece to work, basically cut it out and re weld in a indention. The price was right 40$.

I am going to see if i can run it into my stock intake setup and eventually replace it with a cold air kit.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:31 PM
12 Second Club

The radiaror is off of my old 90 camaro as is the fan and shroud. I dont know if the stock one will work unless you make your own hoses b/c the inlet/outlet are the opposite.(im not sure about this though) I think an Ls style has the hoses on the same side though.

I tried using the just the pass side wiper also and I couldnt figure it out either.

It would be great if you can use the serp out of the LT1. Get me some pics when youre done pls.

The dist. isnt hard to get out. I just have to take out the carb and cap and rotor off the dist and it come right out. Even with the small *** cut out I made for it.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:38 PM
12 Second Club

well the price was right but it is wayy too tall. That would fit perfect in mine, lemme know if you find another one at that price.

If you are using the stock hood the tallest air filter or hat you can use is 1.5" assuming you dont cut into it. That is AFTER you cut out the wiper.
That is how tall my air filter is and ir rubs on the hood a little. Thats with an Edelbrock perf rpm intake and carb.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:30 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Well,the guy i bought mine from on Ebays has the option to buy 2, so i assume he has more that one. I think i might be OK with what i have then, you are using a RPM, i am using a performer, so i have about 1 more inch than you do for an air cleaner, i will cut out the under side of the hood to get the extra inch or so needed. That carb hat has a 4 inch inlet, it is plenty big enough i think. I am not 100% but i think my holley carb is a bit shorter than the edelbrock. Why did you choose that acrb? I have way better luck and more power with a holley. Why do you have a T5? I am using the pace setter mid lengths for headers ceramic coated, my only bitch is they are 2.5 collectors rather than the 3 inch i want but since i didnt get the full lenghts it is my fault, i didnt want to have to get a Y pipe made also. Think ill have it a bit easier since i cut out so much getting the distributor in and out?
Old 10-17-2008, 11:57 PM
Launching!

I could get my disty out with the cap on and without taking anything off, I had a lot of the cowl cut out though, and no wipers.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:02 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Well, i am just trying to figgure out what i can do to make the driver side only work, i can remove the wiper from the passenger sode to install/remove but i doubt i can make it function.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i saw your build and i was thinking. what are u using for a dist.?
have u considered a Vortec truck type dist. u know the flat crab type that use remote coil, like the lt1? i think that type of dist. would work very well and have good clearnace instead of conventional dist. i think you would be able to use the original factory lt1 coil along with the vortec dist. and perhaps a msd spark box.
but i may be wrong.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:12 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Well,the guy i bought mine from on Ebays has the option to buy 2, so i assume he has more that one. I think i might be OK with what i have then, you are using a RPM, i am using a performer, so i have about 1 more inch than you do for an air cleaner, i will cut out the under side of the hood to get the extra inch or so needed. That carb hat has a 4 inch inlet, it is plenty big enough i think. I am not 100% but i think my holley carb is a bit shorter than the edelbrock. Why did you choose that acrb? I have way better luck and more power with a holley. Why do you have a T5? I am using the pace setter mid lengths for headers ceramic coated, my only bitch is they are 2.5 collectors rather than the 3 inch i want but since i didnt get the full lenghts it is my fault, i didnt want to have to get a Y pipe made also. Think ill have it a bit easier since i cut out so much getting the distributor in and out?
I went with edelbrock b/c it was affordable for me at the time. The first t-5 I had in there came from my third gen so it didnt cost me anything and I purchased the car without a drivetrain so it no longer had the original t56.
You should have plenty of room for removing you dist. especially if you dont use an HEI like I am.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:16 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the pictures, very motivating. That's the point that I'm at. I've been a bit nervous about starting the cutting. Since my car will be strictly track the rest of it's days, I am going to just take out the wiper from the start.

Are you going to leave all the plastic cowl off from the bottom of the windshield?

Keep the pictures coming. I will try to get some of mine on here.

Last edited by Rigger Dave; 10-18-2008 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Signature
Old 10-19-2008, 01:05 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Originally Posted by NemeSS
i saw your build and i was thinking. what are u using for a dist.?
have u considered a Vortec truck type dist. u know the flat crab type that use remote coil, like the lt1? i think that type of dist. would work very well and have good clearnace instead of conventional dist. i think you would be able to use the original factory lt1 coil along with the vortec dist. and perhaps a msd spark box.
but i may be wrong.
I am using a standard HEI, the problem is getting the distributor in without the cap on it, not the cap itself. When i et the money i will go full MSD eventually.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:07 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Originally Posted by Rigger Dave
Thanks for the pictures, very motivating. That's the point that I'm at. I've been a bit nervous about starting the cutting. Since my car will be strictly track the rest of it's days, I am going to just take out the wiper from the start.

Are you going to leave all the plastic cowl off from the bottom of the windshield?

Keep the pictures coming. I will try to get some of mine on here.
Yeas, i will be using the plastic cowling cut to fit since it is a street car, keeping as much water out as possible and looking stock. I will post more pics when i can, let me see any pics you have so we can compare, it helps us as we keep going.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:06 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Bearings came in today, hopefully the valve springs will be in tomorrow and i can assemble the short block.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:07 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Springs were dropped off with the heads yesterday, going to pick them up today and assemble the long block, maybe even get it dropped in.

Fuel pump and water pump are on the way, i will prep the fuel system tomorrow.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:47 PM
In-Zane Moderator

The camera was ot able to be found till later so i am lacking progress photos but here is the update...

I will be able to keep my wipers, i had to cut the underside of the hood to clear, the carb hat touches the hood but it fits. I still need some things as you can see but the throttle cable i needed came off a third gen TBI car. I am getting excited

I got a dual friction clutch for free too.

Quick Reply: Swapping SBC into LT1 F car